Huskers Announce Donte Williams Hire

Mavric

https://twitter.com/huskerextrabc/status/805920061064089600

If you ain't first.... your last

your last what?

also, your logic is faulty.

I think he is a great hire and recruiter. The best way to tell typically is the old team's fans reaction to losing him, and they're freaking out. .... I'm just never going to pass up an opportunity to use a Ricky bobby quote
people over on Arizona forums saying Riley is stealing Williams just to get their recruits and we have no honor hiring a DB coach for a ST opening. Lol what a hoot, he is one of the best young coaches and recruiters in the country, sure we are going after him just to snag one of your recruits. And like it matters we fired a ST coordinater. We decided to get better, and apparently because of this we are thieves!

Maybe they ought to try contracts that last longer than 1 year :ph34r::bonesflag:

25hl2sw.jpg
  • Fire 2

YZBWYQHPMMWEDCL.20161205204901.jpg

Coach Info:
Position: Assistant Coach
Other Position: Cornerbacks
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.
Alma Mater: Idaho State
Graduating Year: 2006
Head Coach Mike Riley announced the hiring of Donté Williams on Dec. 5, 2016. Williams joins the Nebraska staff after spending the 2016 regular season on the defensive staff at the University of Arizona. The 34-year-old Williams is generally regarded as one of the nation’s top young recruiters and defensive coaches.
“We are confident that Donté Williams will bring great energy and expertise to our defensive coaching staff,” Riley said. “He has the personality and demeanor that allows him to connect and relate to his players. He will also be a dynamic addition to our staff in terms of recruiting prospective student-athletes to the University of Nebraska.”

Didn't take 'em long to get his bio up on huskers.com. I'm sure that's for the benefit of recruiting. :thumbs:

Question: Williams had never worked with Riley before, right? If not, it's nice to see Riley reach outside his contacts to make a great hire.

• Fire 1

Coach Info:
Head Coach Mike Riley announced the hiring of Donté Williams on Dec. 5, 2016. Williams joins the Nebraska staff after spending the 2016 regular season on the defensive staff at the University of Arizona. The 34-year-old Williams is generally regarded as one of the nation’s top young recruiters and defensive coaches.
“We are confident that Donté Williams will bring great energy and expertise to our defensive coaching staff,” Riley said. “He has the personality and demeanor that allows him to connect and relate to his players. He will also be a dynamic addition to our staff in terms of recruiting prospective student-athletes to the University of Nebraska.”

Didn't take 'em long to get his bio up on huskers.com. I'm sure that's for the benefit of recruiting. :thumbs:

Question: Williams had never worked with Riley before, right? If not, it's nice to see Riley reach outside his contacts to make a great hire.

I'm also impressed that Riley was able to quickly grab this guy. He may not be a diamond in the rough club golf pro but he will have to do.

Coach Info:

Seriously? They have a team of TONS of people to run their website... I run my own website and would've had it done just as quickly. And i run it by myself...

You do realize that this "2nd or 3rd best recruiter" is just someone's opinion, right?

Personally, I think he's #1. So there.

you do realize that this "if your ain't first your last" is a quote from a movie right?

Personally, my favorite is "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

It's also often used by Navy SEALs. They also use the phrase: "2nd place is just the first loser."

Although Navy SEALs know the difference between your and you're.

And while such attitudes can foster immense competition, in reality, it simply isn't true especially pertaining to college football recruiting.

Is the #1 ranked player at all positions always the truly best player at his position that year? Not. Even. Close.

So just like there is a lot of interchangeability between ranked recruits at a given position, there is also that same interchangeability between recruiters. Who's #1 depends on what your metrics are.

You do realize that this "2nd or 3rd best recruiter" is just someone's opinion, right?

you do realize that this "if your ain't first your last" is a quote from a movie right?

It's also often used by Navy SEALs. They also use the phrase: "2nd place is just the first loser."

And while such attitudes can foster immense competition, in reality, it simply isn't true especially pertaining to college football recruiting.

Is the #1 ranked player at all positions always the truly best player at his position that year? Not. Even. Close.

So just like there is a lot of interchangeability between ranked recruits at a given position, there is also that same interchangeability between recruiters. Who's #1 depends on what your metrics are.

I understand all of this but the point I was making was the comment was clearly a joke

I understand all of this but the point I was making was the comment was clearly a joke

I seemed to have left my sense of humor in bed this morning. Hang on, I'll go get it...

I seemed to have left my sense of humor in bed this morning. Hang on, I'll go get it...

Boooooo... why so serious. If you don't chew Big Red then f**k you. And before you go and get all serious... I will just let you know up front that is a quote. It could be three if you break it down :w00t

I love the hire, but it frustrates me even more that we could have had a guy like this for 2 years now instead of a ST coordinator who provided no recruiting impact. This isn't even taking into consideration the performance of our ST under a specialized ST coordinator.

You live and learn right? Mike Riley used a formula he has always used and it didn't work out in the new environment. He learned, fired a position coach each year when it wasn't working.

To me, this is encouraging.

Would it have been cool if he'd have the foresight to know that Hank Hughes wasn't working out and that he didn't need ST coordinator? Sure. But having him make adjustments is just as good (to me) because it shows that he's ready to grow as a coach and WANTS to get us to championship level. That's important...shows that he wants to improve continually.

You have to make mistakes to learn...Riley is making them and then correcting them after he makes em.

Exactly.

I applaud Mike Riley for seeing things that clearly don't work and being proactive about making a change.

We've had three previous coaches who, instead of addressing the obvious deficiencies in their schemes, recruiting, and/or poor coaching by someone on their staff, held the idea that all their problems have to be someone else's fault, particularly the media, and/or the fans.