What Bo Pelini taking YSU to a title game means for NU...

Redux

It means nothing...

Sadly...so does the current hire

Yet he's one win away from having a better season than Bo did in 7 years....even with two blowout losses.

See how easy that was?

Bo had a 10 win season. Are we just going to ignore his success to prop up a coach that hasn't done any better to win an internet argument?

You're ignoring proportion. I argued with Redux already, saying 10-4 with a CCG loss is better than 10-3 with no CCG.

But Riley's win percentage this year would be better than anything Bo ever did if he wins the bowl game.

• Fire 1

It means nothing...

Yet he's one win away from having a better season than Bo did in 7 years....even with two blowout losses.

See how easy that was?

Bo had a 10 win season. Are we just going to ignore his success to prop up a coach that hasn't done any better to win an internet argument?

You're ignoring proportion. I argued with Redux already, saying 10-4 with a CCG loss is better than 10-3 with no CCG.

But Riley's win percentage this year would be better than anything Bo ever did if he wins the bowl game.

Yep!

It means nothing...

See how easy that was?

10-3 without a conference championship game is not better than 10-4 with a conference championship loss.

That said this is Riley's 2nd season.

Better is a relative term. In this example, is it better to eat a dog turd from Labrador or from a Golden Retriever? 10-3 without a CCG or 10-4 and embarrassingly blown out in CCG.......I might take the 10-3 personally. So Labrador turd it is.

Yeah, but Bo also had 10-4 seasons with agonizingly close losses in Big 12 championship games. I would say those are both better than the best Riley season so far.

2009 and 2010 were hands down his best seasons.

Yet, in both years we saw a complete embarassment of a loss to both Iowa State and Texas Tech in 2009, then a complete embarassment of a loss to Texas and Texas A&M and Washington in 2010.

So, are they REALLY better? Yeah, we got to the dance. But at the dance we pissed ourselves on the dance floor both times.

I guess a division title is still a division title even if it is a sh**ty division.

I mean, here we go with the semantics again. The 2009 game may be kind of embarrassing in hind site. But considering where we were two years previous, I wouldn't go that far. And a one score loss to a Texas team that perpetually has some of the most talent in the country and a one score loss on the road with an injured QB don't really fit the definition of embarrassing in my book. Not even close. Disappointing and maddening probably. But not embarrassing.

The CCG loss against Texas WAS embarrassing ... for the referees and the Big 12 officials :)

• Fire 1

It means nothing...

See how easy that was?

10-3 without a conference championship game is not better than 10-4 with a conference championship loss.

That said this is Riley's 2nd season.

Better is a relative term. In this example, is it better to eat a dog turd from Labrador or from a Golden Retriever? 10-3 without a CCG or 10-4 and embarrassingly blown out in CCG.......I might take the 10-3 personally. So Labrador turd it is.
Yeah, but Bo also had 10-4 seasons with agonizingly close losses in Big 12 championship games. I would say those are both better than the best Riley season so far.
2009 and 2010 were hands down his best seasons.

Yet, in both years we saw a complete embarassment of a loss to both Iowa State and Texas Tech in 2009, then a complete embarassment of a loss to Texas and Texas A&M and Washington in 2010.

So, are they REALLY better? Yeah, we got to the dance. But at the dance we pissed ourselves on the dance floor both times.

I guess a division title is still a division title even if it is a sh**ty division.

I mean, here we go with the semantics again. The 2009 game may be kind of embarrassing in hind site. But considering where we were two years previous, I wouldn't go that far. And a one score loss to a Texas team that perpetually has some of the most talent in the country and a one score loss on the road with an injured QB don't really fit the definition of embarrassing in my book. Not even close. Disappointing and maddening probably. But not embarrassing.

-Iowa State went 7-6 in 2009, we lost to them 7-9 at home because of almost a dozen fubles. Embarassing.

-Texas Tech went 9-4 in 2009, we lost to them at home 31-10 one of the most embarassing fumble run backs I can recall.

-Texas went 5-7 in 2010, we lost to them 20-13 at home after reaching #5 and never trailing that season until that game that had more motivation than you can shake a stick at.

-Texas A&M went 9-4 in 2010, we lost to them 6-9 on the road in one of the ugliest offensive showings I can remember. Cap it off with one of the ugliest sideline tirades in history. We can make appologies for not having depth at QB in year 2 of Bo but we can't do that for Riley I guess?

-Washington went 7-6 in 2010, we lost to them in a bowl game 7-19 after thrashing them on the road 56-21.

In my opinion, during those two seasons, these were all embarassing losses. By all means argue otherwise. I could care less what kind of talent Texas had or where Nebraska was in 2007. These losses were embarassments. Hind sight my fanny, these were embarassing then, and even more so now.

• Fire 1

It means nothing...

See how easy that was?

I'm not a fan of our results under Riley yet. I was showing how easy it is to curb perspective to argue whether a coach is a success or not.

• Fire 1

It means nothing...

See how easy that was?

10-4 with a division title is technically better than 10-3, I agreed with as much above.

But a 3 loss season is something we haven't had since Solich. 10-3 looks pretty impressive if you're a fan of another team flipping through a pre-season magazine and see that. "Hey, Nebraska went 10-3 after a losing season, they are doing great!". 10-3 feels like a slap in the face to us after being 7-0 and embarassed twice.

For Nebraska, it means nothing. For Bo Pelini and his new program, it means only so much as the next game. Pelini teams here had an unfortunate reputation for often being in a position to do something big and then failing, and I think that will be the narrative should they lose this next game, fair or not. Hoping he does well.

It means nothing...

See how easy that was?

Mike Riley has been here 2 seasons. If you're going to be "fair" about comparing the two, then Riley would need to be given 5 more years.

I'm just gonna stop you there.

Riley lost 7 games, Bo never lost more than 4. This line of argument holds zero water. If Mike had lost only 4 games I'd be right beside you saying give him time. I said that of Bo too.

But you guys with your Pellllini and #9wins bullsh#t don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to comparing records. At least not yet.

Riley needs to compete for championships, and that needs to start next year or his seat is gonna get pretty warm.

• Fire 2

7 years to win a conference title..... made it 3 times, but went 0/3.

Riley will need to win the West either next year or 18' -then win the B10 by 2019 season (when his contract is up) or he can see the door.

Sad to think we are coming up on 20 years without a conference title... 20!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Winning a conference title is on a different tier now that we are in a league with 14 teams, 7 just in our division vs 8 in our entire conference during "the good old days" plus now we have a championship game. Even in the chaotic 12 you had four additional teams all of whom voted to stack the odds against us. Yes, we're not as good as we were 20 years ago but I don't look at our lack of a conference championship as some sort of unfathomable failure.

It means nothing...

See how easy that was?

And Bo played in an extra game. 3 times. I get proportions, but you're cherry picking. You're telling me if we win our Bowl game this will have been a better season than 2009?

With a blowout to Iowa and the worst blowout in decades to OSU. No CCG because of the loss to Wisconsin?

I guess LSU had the better season in 2011 than Alabama because they had more wins. We'll just ignore any other factors because we are making a point.

7 years to win a conference title..... made it 3 times, but went 0/3.

Riley will need to win the West either next year or 18' -then win the B10 by 2019 season (when his contract is up) or he can see the door.

Sad to think we are coming up on 20 years without a conference title... 20!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Winning a conference title is on a different tier now that we are in a league with 14 teams, 7 just in our division vs 8 in our entire conference during "the good old days" plus now we have a championship game. Even in the chaotic 12 you had four additional teams all of whom voted to stack the odds against us. Yes, we're not as good as we were 20 years ago but I don't look at our lack of a conference championship as some sort of unfathomable failure.

^^This. Winning either side of the current 14 team B1G is about like winning the Big 8 back in the day.

That said, I sure would like to see us win the B1G CCG in Indy sometime soon. Or at least win the West division.

• Fire 1