What Bo Pelini taking YSU to a title game means for NU...

Redux

Riley May be a great coach but without talent it's not going to matter. We were led to believe that with our budget he'd be pulling in top recruiting classes. Hasn't happened yet.

I don't know much about recruiting. I do know that to consistent get top 10 classes though, you gotta be putting large sums of cash into recruits pockets. Or getting some of their relatives really high paying jobs. You know, S$C style.

• Fire 1

We don't cheat well enough to be a top ten program, plain and simple. During the hay days Nebraska as a program, stretched the rules, took kids that others couldn't. For Nebraska to get to the level of Bama, we are going to have to decide if that is really what we want.

I think Coach Riley will run a clean program, and giving credit where it is due, Bo did a pretty damned good job on doing things right.

We talk about our 1.2 million dollar budget, yet Bama has 5 past head coaches working as analysts. Showing up under different headings other than recruiting. We don't spend near what other programs in the SEC and ACC spend. We don't spend the money, nor do we have near the man power involved in recruiting that the major programs do now.

I really do not know where I am at on this, I would love to see Nebraska return to the top, but until the powers that be decide to play like the others, we never will IMHO.

• Fire 4

Last year, I only felt embarassed by Miami and Purdue. The rest we were winning until something stupid happened. By the time we lost to Iowa it was clear Iowa was on a run and we still outplayed them. This year, not so much.

Lowered expectations. Many of those losses were embarassing because our experienced coaching staff couldn't figure out how to manage the clock or call time outs and they never should have happened. Iowa was embarrassing because our offensive coordinator literally threw the game away.

Way more embarrassing than losing to Iowa state, A&M, or T Tech.

Arguing whose losses are more embarrassing is like arguing if you'd rather contract ebola or malaria - either way, you're going to have a bad time.

+1

I would rather NU not get their assess kicked like that no matter who the coach is. The sad truth is that all four coaches since Tom have had embarrassing losses and your last line nailed trying to compare the different levels of embarrassment that came from them.

I don't care what "fund" you say it comes out of. Fact is, that money is from either the AD budget or donors. Either way, that money would be really nice invested here.

It doesn't really matter though. Our athletic department practically prints money.

Ummm. No.

There are programs with more money than us that don't have to spend as much on recruiting to get better players.

Look, I don't sit up at night stewing about this. It wouldn't even have crossed my mind if it wasn't mentioned here.

But, to act like still paying past coaches this much money doesn't affect the program is delusional.

• Fire 1

It is not natural or normal to care about the money owed to Bo...and to take it one more step...if it actually bothers you that he is being paid...you are totally weird.

I'm not bothered by it, but the fact is we're on a husker message board. Within the husker message board we are in a topic about Bo Pelini.

Conditioning on being on a husker message board topic about Bo Pelini, it's okay to be bothered about it. It doesn't mean that on a scale of 1-10 of botheredness where 10 is highest, it's higher than a 1 for any of these people. I'm sure in the huge scope of their lives this is something that crosses their mind maybe once or twice a year. But again, look at where we are:

www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81922-what-bo-pelini-taking-ysu-to-a-title-game-means-for-nu/page-2

P.S. - you seem to often be bothered by how bothered people are about things and whether they're too bothered. I've seen it on lots of other topics around here. Quit overreacting :)

Trust me, I am bothered by it.

No one actually cares about the money he makes from the school. I am here to help them see the light :)

For those who are still concerned about paying out Bo, the expenses are NOT included in the cost of the annual budget. There is a reserve fund that NU has set up specifically for these expenses.

Here is a link from the OWH that details the payout and the reserve fund. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nu-athletics-keeps-millions-of-dollars-in-reserve-to-pay/article_99ea07ec-c468-5143-a30d-86053d140417.html

The Ginger Assassin himself is quoted in the article saying "Resources are not the question here at Nebraska." If the AD isn't worried about paying Bo until 2019, maybe you shouldn't be worried either.

• Fire 1

For those who are still concerned about paying out Bo, the expenses are NOT included in the cost of the annual budget. There is a reserve fund that NU has set up specifically for these expenses.

Here is a link from the OWH that details the payout and the reserve fund. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/nu-athletics-keeps-millions-of-dollars-in-reserve-to-pay/article_99ea07ec-c468-5143-a30d-86053d140417.html

The Ginger Assassin himself is quoted in the article saying "Resources are not the question here at Nebraska." If the AD isn't worried about paying Bo until 2019, maybe you shouldn't be worried either.

Sound like we need a new AD if million dollars expenses don't bother him.

I don't think that was the point, nor what he said
  • Fire 1

The Athletic Department is making more money than ever. The women's rifle team isn't facing a hard ship because NU is still paying Bo $1-2 million a year.

Do you guys understand how budgeting works for big organizations like this?

nope. NU wasn't prepared because of course Pelini was going to be here for 20 years so why would we save to fire him and is now taking a big hit in their athletic funds because we are paying Bo Pelini 1/4 of what we have as a department every year. By the time we stop paying him we will be bankrupt as a university!

Why should it bother him? Really, the only reasons it should bother him is if the school can't afford it or if there is something nefarious going on.

I'd bet none of the coaches salaries bother him and more than one of those is a million dollar+ expense.

I don't think you thought this through. :)