What Bo Pelini taking YSU to a title game means for NU...

Redux

It means that the last 4 coaches NU has hired...no other teams really seemed to want. Think about that for a second.

teams like Alabama and USC have tried prying Riley from Oregon State before so is that really true?

I heard this mentioned before but I have never actually seen any proof that Riley was ever offered those jobs.

Googled "mike riley offered alabama job" and got 630,000 results

Googled "mike riley offered usc job" and got 824,000 results

I could Google Jennifer Aniston sex tape and get 900k results and not one of them is real.
Sources:

espn.com

omaha.com

latimes.com

nytimes.com

jimrome.com

just on the first page

Or is this a "you can't prove to me Americans walked on the moon" moment?

You can show me pictures of Americans on the moon, there are no pictures of Mike Riley in USC head coach attire.

Probably because he DIDN'T take the job?

Thats what they want you to think...

It means that the last 4 coaches NU has hired...no other teams really seemed to want. Think about that for a second.

teams like Alabama and USC have tried prying Riley from Oregon State before so is that really true?
I heard this mentioned before but I have never actually seen any proof that Riley was ever offered those jobs.
Googled "mike riley offered alabama job" and got 630,000 results

Googled "mike riley offered usc job" and got 824,000 results

I could Google Jennifer Aniston sex tape and get 900k results and not one of them is real.
Sources:

espn.com

omaha.com

latimes.com

nytimes.com

jimrome.com

just on the first page

Or is this a "you can't prove to me Americans walked on the moon" moment?

You can show me pictures of Americans on the moon, there are no pictures of Mike Riley in USC head coach attire.
Probably because he DIDN'T take the job?
Thats what they want you to think...
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2002/12/14/sports/colleges-football-riley-turns-down-alabama-job.html

Of course it means something for NU.

It shows Pelini as a successful coach who has done well in both of his head coaching jobs while NU is still trying to figure things out.

yep, that is what I have always envisioned of Nebraska, being able to win the FCS. I'd equate that to climbing mt sunflower when everyone else is climbing mt everest.

It shows Pelini as a successful coach who has done well in both of his head coaching jobs while NU is still trying to figure things out.

It could also mean it only took Riley two seasons to master the Bo Pelini season, 9 wins and 2 blowout losses.

• Fire 1

It could also mean it only took Riley two seasons to master the Bo Pelini season, 9 wins and 2 blowout losses.

Master?

If I need to bet, I'd bet that the next 2 years our record won't be as good as this year's.

I'd hope for better from an experienced coach.

Master?

If I need to bet, I'd bet that the next 2 years our record won't be as good as this year's.

I'd hope for better from an experienced coach.

If the next 2 years are better: "Boy I'm glad I was wrong about Riley, GBR!"

If they aren't: "I told you all Riley was below average!"

THIS is why your style of posting annoys me. I'm not a fan of blind optimism either, but the snarky pessemism for the sake of trying to be the smartest guy in the room really grind my gears.

• Fire 1

I'd say Riley is pretty average.

you always have something nice to say

Ha!

Come on, what would you say Riley is? Average to a little above average is probably fair, don't you think?

I'm not arguing if Riley is mediocre or not, but nebraska harry is one of the biggest negative nancies I've seen on this board. That's fine and all but it gets old

As for your other post teachercd you have a more valid argument than I do, and I concede that you are probably correct about Riley not being a hot commodity due to coaching ability.

I wouldn't want to lie to you just to make you feel good.
saying Riley is pretty average isn't the truth though it's just your opinion. You are entitled to that opinion but it doesn't make you correct
What's your opinion on Riley as a coach? Last year i remember seeing numerous coaching blunders that cost nebraska multiple wins. Then this year we lost to ohio st by 59 and iowa, yes iowa, by 30. His record at oregon st isnt anything special. It just is what it is. Hes average. I think average is pretty generous, actually.

Also, I'm in a good mood. So no need to think I'm being cranky or something.

Merry Christmas eve everyone!

there have been coaching blunders, but I'm not blaming blowout losses or other losses completely on the coaches because it's not completely on the coaches. Nor is it completely on players but I would say both have some blame to take from my point of view. The record argument is invalid for the millionth time because Riley's record was significantly better than the record of the program he took over. I don't think you are a grumpy person but you sure have a negative attitude about our program currently. I agree with Redux, the snarky pessimistic posts grind my gears as well
  • Fire 1

Is everyone forgetting that at Youngstown State, which is in the FCS, that you can actually lose 2-4 games in a season and still make the FCS playoffs?

Knowing that you have some slack in your schedule, and 2-3 losses doesn't derail your entire season is a complete 180 from coaching at a P5, FBS school.

Thank you! You can get hot at the end and win it all.

The hot head coaching commodities are always guys who proved themselves by taking downtrodden football programs and turning them around almost immediately. That's what Mike Riley did at Oregon State, one of the weakest and least respected major conference programs at the time. Over the years his aggregate record certainly flattened out into the average category, but he was still operating a program that was second-tier in his own state, and still pulling out the occasional upset of much more talented teams. The year Nebraska hired him, Riley was voted the second most underrated head coach by his college football peers and enjoys a fairly stellar reputation within coaching and recruiting circles. So while I think he has a lot left to do at Nebraska, I think we can give him a little credit for being above average.

He also wanted to be here. And appears to be taking a long-term strategy.

So yeah. Let's check back in two years.