2017 starting QB

2017 Quarterback  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just have visions of Sam Keller with Lee.

I would be just fine with that. Sam Keller was a pretty good quarterback for us.

Checkdown Charlie and a bunch of garbage time stats.

...who was on pace to break a bunch of Zac Taylor's record-breaking season numbers.

Yes, by padding his stats in a bunch of games NU was getting blown out in.

• Fire 2

I would be just fine with that. Sam Keller was a pretty good quarterback for us.

...who was on pace to break a bunch of Zac Taylor's record-breaking season numbers.

I didn't know he played defense.

From their perspective highlights, I think Gebbia has a little Colt McCoy in him. He might never reach that level of play, but he does seem to be the most fluid of the three. Probably years away before he hits the field.

I think Gebbia has the most upside of the three. He is so skinny right now, so competing for the job in 2017 is probably not realistic. I am hoping he is given every chance to win the job in 2018.

• Fire 1

You are the first Husker fan to freely admit he didn't know something about the team!

Just curious to know if there are any actual serious discussions or comments by somebody with reasonably reliable football judgement that has taken the time to watch some Husker practices and therefore has actually watched Lee in action recently? I would think he has been there long enough that someone knows something to hang our hats on about him. POB as well. Gee whiz - both have been practicing for a year or so now ? That should be a bunch of passing and snaps. We should now know 1. if they know the offense and 2. if they can execute it and 3. if they can throw good balls to receivers who can catch them fairly frequently?

At this point it seems a big mystery as to which, if any, of our future QBs have the ability to lead our team to about 9 wins. While I am hopeful they complete about 80% of all their throws and never throw an interception throughout their Husker careers, I am frankly more interested in the most important QB statistic of all - won/loss record as a starter.

People bag on Keller and I think it's because it's the cool thing to do with anything from the Callahan era. No one wants to admit that we had the 7th ranked offense in 2007 without also doing everything they can to marginalize that achievement. It's really no different than the comments marginalizing wins. We won didn't we? Why does that need to be marginalized? Sam was a pretty good quarterback, why do we need to marginalize that now?

In the offense Riley and Langsdorf want to run, I'd take Sam Keller over Tommy Armstrong all week long.

Tanner Lee. If Gebbia comes in and takes the job from him, I'm going to be really excited for the next 3-4 years.

Gebbia has stated he wants to Redshirt. So, I don't think he will be in the mix unless it's just painfully obvious that he is the best.

Just curious to know if there are any actual serious discussions or comments by somebody with reasonably reliable football judgement that has taken the time to watch some Husker practices and therefore has actually watched Lee in action recently? I would think he has been there long enough that someone knows something to hang our hats on about him. POB as well. Gee whiz - both have been practicing for a year or so now ? That should be a bunch of passing and snaps. We should now know 1. if they know the offense and 2. if they can execute it and 3. if they can throw good balls to receivers who can catch them fairly frequently?

At this point it seems a big mystery as to which, if any, of our future QBs have the ability to lead our team to about 9 wins. While I am hopeful they complete about 80% of all their throws and never throw an interception throughout their Husker careers, I am frankly more interested in the most important QB statistic of all - won/loss record as a starter.

It seems like the general consensus from the writers who have seen practice is that Lee looks the part, and will probably start. But it wouldn't be the first time where a new guy on the scout teams get hyped up wayyyyyy too much and ends up not living up to it. I realize Lee is under different circumstances than almost all scout teamers, but at the same time we haven't heard great things about POB. No bad things, but to me it seems like fairly generic answers from people. If I were to guess just based off of the tone from the writers who have seen the two practice, Lee seems to be a little ways ahead. Sam from the OWH evaluates players pretty well imo, and I think he pretty much had the same sentiment.

I just feel like it's hard to trust the hype from behind closed doors. I'm hopeful that whoever starts will add a more reliable throwing threat.

It seems like the general consensus from the writers who have seen practice is that Lee looks the part, and will probably start. But it wouldn't be the first time where a new guy on the scout teams get hyped up wayyyyyy too much and ends up not living up to it. I realize Lee is under different circumstances than almost all scout teamers, but at the same time we haven't heard great things about POB. No bad things, but to me it seems like fairly generic answers from people. If I were to guess just based off of the tone from the writers who have seen the two practice, Lee seems to be a little ways ahead. Sam from the OWH evaluates players pretty well imo, and I think he pretty much had the same sentiment.

I just feel like it's hard to trust the hype from behind closed doors. I'm hopeful that whoever starts will add a more reliable throwing threat.

I have heard (but have no clue where) that POB really throws a very nice ball. Very accurate and easy to catch. He needs to get used to the college game and learn the offense better.

Again, not sure where I have heard this, but it was during the season sometime.

I think POB started off fairly slowly. Not sure if was learning the offense, speed of the competition or what. Lee got a lot of pub early on.

There were reports about halfway through the season that things seemed to be clicking better for POB. The consensus still seemed to be that Lee has the upper hand but POB was getting better.

Will be interesting to see once spring practice stars and the media guys can get more of a look with (basically) just those two going at it.

He certainly didn't help by not playing well. Go back and look at NU's offense with Keller. it was a mirage of garbage time stats.

idk, Keller's games against Ball State, Texas, and Iowa State at least were pretty damn efficient. He wasn't all-conference by any means, but he also never played any horrendous games to take his team out of it like we've seen a good handful of times over the last 7 years. His ceiling wasn't crazy high, but his floor wasn't down in the pits of doom either.

idk, Keller's games against Ball State, Texas, and Iowa State at least were pretty damn efficient. He wasn't all-conference by any means, but he also never played any horrendous games to take his team out of it like we've seen a good handful of times over the last 7 years. His ceiling wasn't crazy high, but his floor wasn't down in the pits of doom either.

You are pointing out 2 games against 2 of the worst teams that NU faced that year. I also remember games against Missouri, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State which the offense was not good, and when those combined with a terrible defense meant the nail in the coffins for Pedeyshine and Callahan.
  • Fire 2