Huskers in the 2017 NFL Draft

Mavric

My concern, since it is clear that NU has out-recruited pretty much everyone in the west year in and year out are the games that Riley (and Bo) lose to crap teams.

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

Nebraska, no matter who the coach, can't lose those games to those teams.

Outrecruited means you put stock in what the recruiting services say about players. How many highly touted recruits have we got in the past ten years who stunk it up? Purdue had as many draft picks this season as we did.

My concern, since it is clear that NU has out-recruited pretty much everyone in the west year in and year out are the games that Riley (and Bo) lose to crap teams.

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

In recent years, Nebraska hasn't had much of a talent advantage vs those teams which is the problem. The Huskers need to get more talent separation from those teams again, which I believe (hope) Riley is addressing in recruiting.

Physically Nebraska hasn't looked much different than Minnesota or Iowa in the last 4-5 years or so.

Last year's team was the least talented Husker team I'd seen, so no surprise with the lack of draftees. Here's to having more talent in the future. :cheers

I got roasted when I argued that we didn't have talent. I got further roasted when I said Westy and Cethon wouldn't get drafted, and that Gerry would go in the later rounds. I'd say I am a genius typically, but this draft wasn't surprising at all :funnyhahah . We lacked talent in a big way. For those who argued against me, I still don't know what you were watching. This lack of talent was obvious.

Again, "talent" to win at a high level and "talent" to be drafted into the NFL are not the same.

I literally have no idea why you think the two are one in the same.

Those talented players that win at a high level seem to get drafted into the NFL at a high frequency. How odd that Alabama would have more draft picks than UNL, right? Michigan? OSU? The fact that we've turned into a middling program isn't a surprise to anybody that watches the product. It's also not hard to figure out why we had one player drafted with the last pick in the 5th round. Not the type of talent that wins conferences. I'll bet you're one of those people who thought Westy would get taken in the third round which explains your final sentence.

Now explain Iowa and Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

247 recruiting rankings by year (and recruits > .9000 rating):

• 2017: 23rd (Lindsey .9756, Blades .9351, Roberts .9248, Gebbia, .9184)
  • 2016: 24th (Jackson .9582, Raridon .9435, O'Brien .9189, Dismuke .9064, Farniok .9049)
  • 2015: 30th (Lee .9414, Barnett .9207, Stevenson .9160)
  • 2014: 36th (Farmer .9021)
  • 2013: 22nd (Newby .9404, Gregory .9166, Taylor .9058, Banderas .9053)
  • 2012: 31st (Thurston .9357, McMullen .9068, Cross .9065, Westerkamp .9060, Rose-Ivey .9040, Armstrong .9003)
  • 2011: 16th (Green .9813, Turner .9658, Jackson .9606, Starling .9433, Moore .9288, Stafford .9167, Peat .9163)
  • Fire 1

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

Outrecruited means you put stock in what the recruiting services say about players. How many highly touted recruits have we got in the past ten years who stunk it up? Purdue had as many draft picks this season as we did.

Hey, I agree with you. But if we don't go off the rankings what do we use?

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

In recent years, Nebraska hasn't had much of a talent advantage vs those teams which is the problem. The Huskers need to get more talent separation from those teams again, which I believe (hope) Riley is addressing in recruiting.

Physically Nebraska hasn't looked much different than Minnesota or Iowa in the last 4-5 years or so.

It seems like, according to the rankings, that they have but I agree with you it sure hasn't seemed like it.

Lots of truth in that article. I personally think we've done pretty well considering the '13 and '14 classes have turned out so poorly. Other articles have mentioned those two classes are hurting us pretty badly as well.

We've talked about the attrition in various threads, and while every team experiences some attrition, I'm pretty sure most teams don't experience the kind of attrition we have from those two classes. We only have 37% of those two classes left, 67% of those two classes have already left us. And that doesn't include the 7 still on the team that haven't been contributors. Taking that into consideration, 23% of those two classes are still here and contributing, that's a pretty bad percentage imo.

I do believe Riley is taking the correct approach in building for the future and while I don't have the benefit of a crystal ball, I do believe he is on the right path to take us back to greatness.

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

So did Penn State, and they won the conference.

• Fire 1

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

Penn St had 12 or so Seniors. Nebraska had close to 25

• Fire 1

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

Right, and as I've pointed out earlier in this thread, using draft picks alone as a measure of talent is flawed. You have to look at multiple years in comparison to recruiting, and factor in development.

• Fire 1

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

Right, and as I've pointed out earlier in this thread, using draft picks alone as a measure of talent is flawed. You have to look at multiple years in comparison to recruiting, and factor in development.

This especially the bolded part.

Purdue

Minny

Iowa

NW

Illinois

They also had 12 seniors because they were coming off scholarship sanctions.

• Fire 1

No one is mentioning the elephant in the room. Bo's Youngstown State had more players drafted then us.

So that would be one player Bo didn't recruit, and another he brought over from Nebraska?

As compared to a team of Nebraska juniors and seniors recruited entirely by Pelini?

What exactly are we supposed to learn from this elephant?

• Fire 3