The Republican Utopia

Herbster probably means Muslim prayer, right? Or wait, Hindu? Gotta be Hindu. But I could see an argument for orthodox Judaism.

In response to a question about critical race theory at a wide-ranging forum hosted by the Greater Omaha Chamber, Conklin Co. CEO Charles W. Herbster said the country has lost “the moral compass of what made America great: That is God, the flag, and our families,” framing it as a “war.”

He defined critical race theory as teaching what’s wrong with the country. Schools should be teaching “reading, writing, arithmetic, prayer, and the flag salute and what made America great,” he said.

After the forum, The World-Herald asked Herbster about the inclusion of “prayer” in that list and whether that creates a concern about the separation of church and state at publicly funded schools. Herbster stood firm. “If you go back 40 or 50 years, we had prayer in the school systems,” he said. “We should have prayer in the school systems today. I’ll stand by that.”

I was pleasantly surprised by some of Brett Lindstrom's comments from the same article, though. He was vocal about Nebraska drawing people to the state regardless of 'creed or sexual orientation' while acknowledging racism is everywhere and a Governor has to be welcoming to all. He voiced opposition to CRT but defined it as being taught at the graduate level and not necessarily K-12. Refreshing to hear it put that way from a Republican.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I was pleasantly surprised by some of Brett Lindstrom's comments from the same article, though. He was vocal about Nebraska drawing people to the state regardless of 'creed or sexual orientation' while acknowledging racism is everywhere and a Governor has to be welcoming to all. He voiced opposition to CRT but defined it as being taught at the graduate level and not necessarily K-12. Refreshing to hear it put that way from a Republican.

He is definitely my Republican front-runner.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

He is definitely my Republican front-runner.

At this point I would agree. He and Thibodeau seem like the two most reasonable, logical and amiable candidates. They also don't give off goober vibes like Herbster/Pillen.

Unfortunately, this almost assuredly means Lindstrom/Thibodeau are not Republican enough and won't win.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

At this point I would agree. He and Thibodeau seem like the two most reasonable, logical and amiable candidates. They also don't give off goober vibes like Herbster/Pillen.

Unfortunately, this almost assuredly means Lindstrom/Thibodeau are not Republican enough and won't win.

It's sad.  I will be voting for probably Lindstrom at this point.  But, I don't think he'll win.  Interestingly though, in my Friday afternoon beer group who are almost all VERY Republican and almost all voted for Trump...etc., nobody likes Herbster or Pillen.  I was very surprised at that last week when we were discussing it.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interestingly though, in my Friday afternoon beer group who are almost all VERY Republican and almost all voted for Trump...etc., nobody likes Herbster or Pillen.  I was very surprised at that last week when we were discussing it.

That is surprising, but I'm admittedly skeptical it will mean much when it's time to fill in the bubble. I remember having the same conversations during the presidential primaries six years ago. I didn't know many Republicans that verbally liked Trump, and yet...

People let politics dictate their opinions rather than their opinions dictate politics.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Herbster probably means Muslim prayer, right? Or wait, Hindu? Gotta be Hindu. But I could see an argument for orthodox Judaism.

While I agree, this is kind of the crux of the problem in the GOP right now. The ones who are either secure in their positions with no desire for upward mobility or those without a snowball's chance in Hell at whatever office they're seeking are the only ones willing to be reasonable and even sniff anything other than pure, unadulterated red meat for the base. The more ambitious and closer to more power they get, the more awful they get.

One could make the same claim for the Dems, but for my money the right has shifted way, WAY further from the reasonable middle ground than the left has (while simultaneously convincing a heck of a lot people that it's actually the other way around).

And I stand by my assertion that the GOP uses a lot more aggressive, harmful rhetoric and framing in their messaging that is a lot more toxic to the political system as a whole.

• Plus1 4
16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting. 

Great stuff. This should be required reading for anyone who struggles to understand gender identity issues (which is just about everyone) and anyone who thinks that defining what is a man or a woman is super simple. This twitter thread is a scientific breakdown of the biological component of sex, showing that sex is indeed complicated, and not binary. Without even getting into the social structures of gender at all.