The Republican Utopia

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

So you have a Trump joke about Pence, seemingly mocking the way he’s been cartoonishly portrayed by the liberal media and a crazy cowboy idiot who ran for governor of Texas, said bizarre things, likely for freee publicity, and didn’t come close to winning.

You’ve represented that Republicans are the party of hate and claimed their hateful views are mainstream. So where is your evidence of that?

Republicans seem to be the party of hatred and intolerance.  Does every Republican hate gays, trans, non-whites, non-christians, immigrants, etc?  Of course not.  But they too often remain silent while bigots like Huckabee, Pence, Falwell, and other "religious" people on the right say stuff that is bigoted. 

You're saying that cowboy from Texas is an outlier and I'm saying you missed my point entirely.  Which is: There are Republicans who would commit genocide on my community if they thought they could get away with it.  You asked me to prove that was true.  I did by providing a link.  Now you move the goalposts by demanding that I prove every single Republican thinks that way.  Even if they did, I don't have the time or inclination to undertake such a project. 

Face it Ric, your party does have a very real current of bigotry running through it.  To pretend otherwise is to ignore all evidence.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The Obamas were compared to apes, no doubt. Was that racist? In part, yes. But George W. Bush was often frequently compared to an ape. So it’s hard to tell how much was racist and how much was just calling the Obamas stupid, classless, etc. Regardless, it’s tacky to engage in those sprts of portrsyals of political opponents.

The media fawned all over the Obamas. The long knives have been out for Trump since he went from amusing goofball in the primary to being a credible candidate for media coverage has been ridiculously negative. He does himself no favors by being, well, Trump. But the media has given up any illusion they are even trying ti be unbiased. 

I won't begrudge you your views on how certain aspects of the media covered both presidents, however, I think we need to be very careful when using phrases like 'the media.' 'The media' is a diverse bunch ranging from national talk shows, local news shows, newspapers, bloggers, etc.

Fox News and CNN are deplorable in my opinion, with Fox News being the worst of the two. They're both unreliable and far too coveting of themselves. More Americans should start actually reading again, and from a variety of sources, rather than paying attention to what shows up in their Facebook feeds and on TV.

'The media' is operated by humans whom are fallible and make mistakes, but there are a lot of great journalists and publications out there that far too often get blamed for others' mistakes and then get lumped into 'media' bashing.

• Plus1 2

I will add to what Enhance said. Living in the Detroit metro I am blessed to hear both extreme conservative and extreme liberal radio stations, both are equally deplorable. NPR is about the most unbiased source of news on the radio. However even their local programming is a bit liberally slanted. People need to take their citizenship seriously. They need to consume multiple sources and multiple types of media. They need to understand that people like Limbaugh, Hannity, Maddow, Lemon ,etc. are dangerous for this country. They argue on emotions not facts.

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I will add to what Enhance said. Living in the Detroit metro I am blessed to hear both extreme conservative and extreme liberal radio stations, both are equally deplorable. NPR is about the most unbiased source of news on the radio. However even their local programming is a bit liberally slanted. People need to take their citizenship seriously. They need to consume multiple sources and multiple types of media. They need to understand that people like Limbaugh, Hannity, Maddow, Lemon ,etc. are dangerous for this country. They argue on emotions not facts.

@ZRod, I think it actually goes deeper than just arguing from emotions.  First, it seems that in today's society, we can't even agree what are the facts.  And second, it seems to me that nobody is willing to bend or compromise. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@ZRod, I think it actually goes deeper than just arguing from emotions.  First, it seems that in today's society, we can't even agree what are the facts.  And second, it seems to me that nobody is willing to bend or compromise. 

I think agreeing on facts gets back to taking citizenship seriously. A good citizen is an informed and educated one. If people actually loved and cared about their country they would understand the importance of solid education system. One provided to every child and teenager regardless of their socioeconomic background, and one that stresses critical thinking. It's no shock at the situation we find ourselves in when we have cut funding and devalued education for the last 20 or so years. We are reaping what we've sown.

• Plus1 2

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Reading this just pisses me off. 

Social media and these "media" outlets are dangerous.  It isn't just "nutjobs" that eat this stuff up; it's our neighbors, relatives, and coworkers.

I have a friend, who is a responsible and loving father and husband.  He has a good job and lives in a nice neighborhood.  He happens to be a staunch 2A supporter, which is fine; we really agree on a lot more than he believes we do. After Parkland we had a "conversation" about guns in school and I told him, as a teacher, I love the idea of resource officers in each building (even though it failed in Florida) because of the many other jobs they can do.  Fast forward to Maryland, where the SRO contributed in ending the shooting, my friend forwarded me an article asking for my thoughts.  This article wasn't fake, it was actually very factual.  Nothing I saw didn't match up with other reports.  My problem was with the other articles (blog posts) on this site.

He could have easily sent me an article from ABC News, CBS, NPR, FoxNews, Reuters, or countless other outlets, but he chose this one.  I looked at their FB page: there were articles about Obama being tried for treason for helping Iran steal $1 Billion, there were articles about Hillary Clinton's body count, among many others.  He looks at this FB page as "real" news.  It's scary.

15 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Agreed. We talk past each other. And far too often we label those who disagree with us or who see the world differently as some combination of evil, stupid, and/or crazy....or racist, bigoted, homophobic, etc. 

16 hours ago, Enhance said:

I won't begrudge you your views on how certain aspects of the media covered both presidents, however, I think we need to be very careful when using phrases like 'the media.' 'The media' is a diverse bunch ranging from national talk shows, local news shows, newspapers, bloggers, etc.

Fox News and CNN are deplorable in my opinion, with Fox News being the worst of the two. They're both unreliable and far too coveting of themselves. More Americans should start actually reading again, and from a variety of sources, rather than paying attention to what shows up in their Facebook feeds and on TV.

'The media' is operated by humans whom are fallible and make mistakes, but there are a lot of great journalists and publications out there that far too often get blamed for others' mistakes and then get lumped into 'media' bashing.

I can pretty easily list the relative handful of conservative outlets. Some of them are completely in the tank for Trump. Many are among his most outspoken critics. 

The rest are almost all left-leaning. They are reflexively anti-Trump, with more than 90% of their articles and columns criticizing somehting he said or tweeted. They were similarly reflexively pro-Obama, with nothing but praise and rarely a criticism of anything he said or did. 

When 90% of the media is automatically and reflexively in the tank for the Democrats and against the Republicans, you have a liberal media bias problem.

54 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I can pretty easily list the relative handful of conservative outlets. Some of them are completely in the tank for Trump. Many are among his most outspoken critics. 

The rest are almost all left-leaning. They are reflexively anti-Trump, with more than 90% of their articles and columns criticizing somehting he said or tweeted. They were similarly reflexively pro-Obama, with nothing but praise and rarely a criticism of anything he said or did. 

When 90% of the media is automatically and reflexively in the tank for the Democrats and against the Republicans, you have a liberal media bias problem.

You have to admit though, Trump says and tweets some pretty outrageous things.  And more often than not he's factually challenged.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You're jumping to the assumption that 90% of the media is in the tank for the Dems, but a quick scan of political talk radio shows that there's a TON of right-wing media. And right-wing Sinclair buying up local news stations is pushing more and more right-wing media.

What we have is a "cheerleading for political parties masking as news" issue. If whatever news you're watching criticizes either party without looking at the issues of both parties, then you need to turn the channel. But even more importantly, if the media you're following can't acknowledge the facts, then you're in even worse shape as you're consuming propaganda. (Fox News and Breitbart are dangerously popular considering how much propaganda they're pushing.)