The Republican Utopia

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep...now the tables have turned stupidly in the other direction.

I mean we could have been forgiven in 2005 for not really know how this works. Andrew in 1996 was the last major event that I remember being as horrible as Katrina (granted I was a child and teenager at those times). Since Katrina we've had Sandy, Floods in Detroit, Floods in Houston, Hurricane Harvey, other major gulf coast hurricanes I can't remember, F5 tornadoes that leveled towns in Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and the south, Texas Froze, California burned, etc. We know how this goes...

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

I mean we could have been forgiven in 2005 for not really know how this works. Andrew in 1996 was the last major event that I remember being as horrible as Katrina (granted I was a child and teenager at those times). Since Katrina we've had Sandy, Floods in Detroit, Floods in Houston, Hurricane Harvey, other major gulf coast hurricanes I can't remember, F5 tornadoes that leveled towns in Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and the south, etc. We know how this goes...

It was explained in depth back then and Democrats kept up with the mantra that the only reason Bush didn't send in help was because he wanted to kill black people.  Heck, there were even people who believed that he purposely broke the levy that flooded black neighborhoods in New Orleans.

Now, we are hearing the same type of BS from the right about this disaster.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It was explained in depth back then and Democrats kept up with the mantra that the only reason Bush didn't send in help was because he wanted to kill black people.  Heck, there were even people who believed that he purposely broke the levy that flooded black neighborhoods in New Orleans.

Now, we are hearing the same type of BS from the right about this disaster.

I remember all the conspiracies, and Kanye... But I thought most of the criticism was levied at FEMA for mismanagement once they were called in (similar to Puerto Rico). Although Bush got a lot of heat for being on vacation and not mentioning anything in his SOTU address in 2006.

• TBH 1

15 hours ago, Scarlet said:

It seems like all the liars in the country have figured out that all you need to do is make up a fake resume, paste an R by your name, run for office and you're in.  

And when you get caught --- because fact checking this stuff is incredibly  easy -- the GOP will shrug and continue to let you make laws. 

No shame. No conscience. No consequence. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

On the surface I probably agree that you don't need to be limiting the scope of search warrants for data in apps, but I can't really think of any type of criminal investigation that would legitimately require menstrual records.

On 2/17/2023 at 7:09 PM, Scarlet said:

It seems like all the liars in the country have figured out that all you need to do is make up a fake resume, paste an R by your name, run for office and you're in.  

The press shoulders a fair amount of blame for this. It's their job to cover politics, not ours. That doesn't mean just accepting at face value and regurgitating everything a politician says (as they did with Orange Man Bad prior to the 2016 election). That means proactively fact-checking, and when necessary, lead with the truth before explaining why the politician lied.

The local press in Santos' and Ogles' areas should have sussed this out long, long ago. These are not difficult things to fact-check.

• Plus1 2
On 2/16/2023 at 10:06 PM, ZRod said:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows how this works. A Governor has to declare an emergency to the President, first, before the federal government can intervene. That's how the law works, and it's something the GOP should love because it prevents federal overreach.

Ohhhh.  Maybe Biden and FEMA could use some pointers on how this all works. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-turns-down-ohios-request-disaster-assistance-toxic-derailment.amp

• Plus1 1