The Republican Utopia

Bottom line, what I really don’t get, is why people on both sides are so fixated with pronouns.  

It’s only an issue if a person purposely uses a pronoun with the intent of being an a$$h@!e.  Congrats, you’re an a$$h@!e!

Does govt really need to be involved in any of this?

• TBH 1
40 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Bottom line, what I really don’t get, is why people on both sides are so fixated with pronouns.  

It’s only an issue if a person purposely uses a pronoun with the intent of being an a$$h@!e.  Congrats, you’re an a$$h@!e!

Does govt really need to be involved in any of this?

I know why Rs are against pronouns. It’s a contrived issue designed to play well with an intolerant party that prefers their people white, straight and Christian. Plus it’s fairly simple and intuitive. If it looks like a girl it’s a she and if it looks like a boy it’s a he. That simplicity allows them to ignore more nuanced and complex thoughts.

I don’t really get why the other side cares much. If a person who looks like a guy gets offended when referred to as he or him, honestly they’re being too touchy for most people’s tastes. And if you identify as something other than your biological male or female sex, well, you should expect some lack of understanding and confusion.

But you’re right, once a person knows how somebody wants to be pronouned, if they can’t/won’t comply they’re being an a$$h@!e. Accidents are one thing, being a d!(k or passing laws against it is another. Welcome to the land of the free and home of the brave. Not sure either of those apply to the majority of the R party anymore.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I know why Rs are against pronouns. It’s a contrived issue designed to play well with an intolerant party that prefers their people white, straight and Christian. Plus it’s fairly simple and intuitive. If it looks like a girl it’s a she and if it looks like a boy it’s a he. That simplicity allows them to ignore more nuanced and complex thoughts.

I don’t really get why the other side cares much. If a person who looks like a guy gets offended when referred to as he or him, honestly they’re being too touchy for most people’s tastes. And if you identify as something other than your biological male or female sex, well, you should expect some lack of understanding and confusion.

But you’re right, once a person knows how somebody wants to be pronouned, if they can’t/won’t comply they’re being an a$$h@!e. Accidents are one thing, being a d!(k or passing laws against it is another. Welcome to the land of the free and home of the brave. Not sure either of those apply to the majority of the R party anymore.

The stupidest part is that those of us working in large corporations or internationally probably already choose pronouns carefully. It can be kind of hard to tell if someone is a man or women from the name in their signature, and as an American I can freely admit that I'm clueless with all but a few Indian names. Out of respect for others I usually try not to assume the gender unless I know for sure, because you feel like a doofus when you get it obviously wrong.

Like you said, I think most sane people in the trans community get that people may unintentionally mess up their pronouns. They're ok with that as long as you correct yourself and aren't an a$$h@!e about it.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The stupidest part is that those of us working in large corporations or internationally probably already choose pronouns carefully. It can be kind of hard to tell if someone is a man or women from the name in their signature, and as an American I can freely admit that I'm clueless with all but a few Indian names. Out of respect for others I usually try not to assume the gender unless I know for sure, because you feel like a doofus when you get it obviously wrong.

Like you said, I think most sane people in the trans community get that people may unintentionally mess up their pronouns. They're ok with that as long as you correct yourself and aren't an a$$h@!e about it.

This!  As a teacher, I get an email from a parent named “Pat”.  I’m triple checking transcripts and parental info before I respond with a “Mr” or “Ms”.  This stuff isn’t new…

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Doubtful.   Best we just ignore each other since your goal looks to be getting me suspended somehow instead of engaging in discussion.   Take care 

But you've never tried to get another poster suspended?

22 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

But you've never tried to get another poster suspended?

Correct.  I haven’t and don’t post with the intent of trying to trap another poster into saying something against board rules.  

If a poster says a something against the board rules and disparages another poster, I turn it in just as has been done to me in the past.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I threw Mr and Mrs and Ms out the window a long time ago. Not due to any gender identity issues but because I am very informal in my business communications.  I learned and know the proper way but I just keep things as simple, short and direct as possible. I address everyone by the first name and leave it at that. If that isn’t formal enough for them, f#&% em, I own the place and will communicate how I want.

I deal with some people in South America and India and they are always so professional and business proper with their communications. They prob think I’m either rude or an idiot but IDC. I wouldn’t have any clue if the Indian folks I email are male or female or what. It’s usually a challenge just to figure out which is their first name :lol: But the folks in India are just subcontracted purchasing for an American Corp so my only goal is to do the bare minimum to complete what they require.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I threw Mr and Mrs and Ms out the window a long time ago. Not due to any gender identity issues but because I am very informal in my business communications.  I learned and know the proper way but I just keep things as simple, short and direct as possible. I address everyone by the first name and leave it at that. If that isn’t formal enough for them, f#&% em, I own the place and will communicate how I want.

I deal with some people in South America and India and they are always so professional and business proper with their communications. They prob think I’m either rude or an idiot but IDC. I wouldn’t have any clue if the Indian folks I email are male or female or what. It’s usually a challenge just to figure out which is their first name :lol: But the folks in India are just subcontracted purchasing for an American Corp so my only goal is to do the bare minimum to complete what they require.

Yes! Indians are some of the most formal and polite people I ever work with, but sometimes the caste system rears it's ugly head and they can be real dicks to each other.

It's crazy how everyone subcontractors with Indian right now...

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yes! Indians are some of the most formal and polite people I ever work with, but sometimes the caste system rears it's ugly head and they can be real dicks to each other.

It's crazy how everyone subcontractors with Indian right now...

This is a bit off topic but….

You’re right they are very formal and polite. But here in the last few years I’d have to also include slightly clueless. I sell some replacement parts to (Lrg corp name redacted) across the country from Cali to PA. It’s not parts they buy often but they are usually repeat parts. Obviously in the last few years my sale prices have had to increase and these yahoos in India always ask for an explanation why the price has increased. Doesn’t matter if it’s 2% or 100% on something they haven’t purchased for 5 years. It just annoys me having to waste my time explaining it when it should be understood. If I’m in a bad mood, I respond something like, “inflation….pandemic….the price you had was 5 years old….take your pick.”

I can be a bit of a d!(k when I get annoyed because we’re selling parts/components for proprietary equipment we originally built. Sure they could go to the trouble of reverse engineering the parts and finding somebody else to fabricate them but I have them on the shelf and can ship immediately so I’m not gonna take too much of their s#!t.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Correct.  I haven’t and don’t post with the intent of trying to trap another poster into saying something against board rules.  

If a poster says a something against the board rules and disparages another poster, I turn it in just as has been done to me in the past.   

Of course you do.  I know it for a fact.  That was a rhetorical question. 

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let's disregard whatever the hell "western nations around the country" means, and disregard the fact that he blatantly lied about what Democrats support.... His answer to that man's question (if the edit didn't cutout anything profound) is that the his friends should die. That's definitely advancing the sanctity of life...