The Environment

2 hours ago, commando said:

maybe i am thinking of something else....but hasn't fracking greatly increased seismic activity in Oklahoma?  if i recall correctly that is what they said caused the earthquake we felt here in Nebraska a few years back

Supposedly it increases it. They’ve been fracking like hell around here. It’s been quite a few years ago but I actually felt an earthquake they said was due to fracking, I thought our fat Basset Hound was trying to crawl under my chair but it was the earthquake :lol:  I haven’t heard of any real detrimental things from fracking other than the few locations where people can light their tap water on fire due to the NG in it.

13 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Supposedly it increases it. They’ve been fracking like hell around here. It’s been quite a few years ago but I actually felt an earthquake they said was due to fracking, I thought our fat Basset Hound was trying to crawl under my chair but it was the earthquake :lol:  I haven’t heard of any real detrimental things from fracking other than the few locations where people can light their tap water on fire due to the NG in it.

That’s minor. 

• 3 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m naive to this so I don’t get how this is much different than having your body burned to ashes? 

I’m guessing it’s because it’s fertile soil.

Ive seen articles about having ashes/compost being used in the root balls of sapling trees.  Id be open to that.  I think the idea of a tire swing on my tombstone seems like more fun!

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm….I thought Republicans were all for states being able to make decisions. 

Maybe read into why the decision was made instead of tweeting that ignoramous.  

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/supreme-court-surprised-many-observers-clean-water-act-decision-it-may-not-mean-what?amp

Although the majority doesn't explain itself, I think it is pretty clear that five Justices didn't think much of a District Court Judge vacating a duly promulgated nationwide regulation, especially without determining the merits of the lawsuit challenging the rule, and especially when the Agency that did the promulgating didn't ask for such an extreme remedy.  

Given what goes into federal rule making, it seems uncontroversial that a better course is for rules not to be erased until the merits of doing so have been determined and then reviewed by an Appeals Court.

So, while Justice Kagan and the other three Justices also have a point that there should be a high bar for the Court to use its emergency jurisdiction to step into matters that have not yet reached the Supreme Court on the merits, the District Court's action, and the Ninth Circuit's refusal to step in, may have been an emergency of a different kind.

• Plus1 3