The First Trump Impeachment Thread

11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

f#&%ing pu&&y traitor. Can't get much more un-American than this.

Sadly what he says has a grain of truth to it.   We have a history of trying to influence foreign elections.   I don’t agree with us doing it, because majority of the time we are doing this is to benefit major private corporations (usually oil) to get more money.   All this financed by public money, but the rewards go to private entities (what we are doing in Venezuela is a good example of this).  That doesn’t mean it’s right for us to do nor should we be OK with foreign governments trying to impact ours.  

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

No it doesn't.

His son went to work for the Ukrainian company after he demanded the corrupt AG be removed on behalf of U.S. foreign policy and the best interests of Ukraine itself.

The way I understand it, anyone trying to convince you Biden somehow also deserves scrutiny is selling you a bill of goods on behalf of Trump and the Republicans' interests. 

That's not at all correct. This seems like an excellent timeline of Ukrainian events that led to where we are now. It's long, but EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS!

Hunter worked for Burisma during the "investigation". He was hired in April 2014. The investigation into the company's owner (not Hunter) started Aug 2014. Joe Biden and the EU began anti corruption pressure Oct 2014. Joe says he supposedly told them to fire the prosecutor or $1B of the $2B in loan garantees for fighting corruption would be withheld, Feb 2016. It should also be noted that the prosecutor had a notorious reputation for stonewalling and delaying investigations into Ukrainian corruption, and that feeling was shared by both the EU and the US. The prosecutor was fired Feb 2016. The "investigation" was closed Sept 2016.  Hunter left Burisma's board April 2019.

There is the minor appearance of conflict of interest for VP Biden. I think that should be investigated, but I'm confident nothing will be found. The investigation into Burisma seems to have been started by a misinterpretation of a British freeze of some assets. And these investigation and accusations of corruption could have been standard political practice in Ukraine at the time.

All that said. There is a MASSIVE difference between VP Biden pushing for better anti-corruption practices in Ukraine, and Trump fishing for dirt against his top political opponent.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

That's not at all correct. This seems like an excellent timeline of Ukrainian events that led to where we are now. It's long, but EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS!

Hunter worked for Burisma during the "investigation". He was hired in April 2014. The investigation into the company's owner (not Hunter) started Aug 2014. Joe Biden and the EU began anti corruption pressure Oct 2014. Joe says he supposedly told them to fire the prosecutor or $1B of the $2B in loan garantees for fighting corruption would be withheld, Feb 2016. It should also be noted that the prosecutor had a notorious reputation for stonewalling and delaying investigations into Ukrainian corruption, and that feeling was shared by both the EU and the US. The prosecutor was fired Feb 2016. The "investigation" was closed Sept 2016.  Hunter left Burisma's board April 2019.

There is the minor appearance of conflict of interest for VP Biden. I think that should be investigated, but I'm confident nothing will be found. The investigation into Burisma seems to have been started by a misinterpretation of a British freeze of some assets. And these investigation and accusations of corruption could have been standard political practice in Ukraine at the time.

All that said. There is a MASSIVE difference between VP Biden pushing for better anti-corruption practices in Ukraine, and Trump fishing for dirt against his top political opponent. 

Thanks for the explainer. I thought what I said was correct but I'm not surprised it wasn't. I wasn't really that well-versed in it.

For me it boils down to:

>Minor appears of conflict of interest for Biden

>Trump

One is bad int he way getting a small cut or scraping up your knee is bad.

The other is bleeding out of your jugular.

I'd go so far as to say it's apples to rotten oranges.

Not really pulling for Biden as the nominee but if that's what it comes down to, it's not a hard choice.

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's a once-in-a-generation political scandal, and we still have people in here saying "both sides."

What a time to be alive.

In a time when the norms of this country have shift so radically, why is it a bad thing to make sure everyone is acting above the board? 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

In a time when the norms of this country have shift so radically, why is it a bad thing to make sure everyone is acting above the board?  

It's not, in isolation. But good, reasonable, honest people saying "Hey, we just need to treat everyone the same and investigate everyone equally" is exactly what Trump wants, because it lets him deflect and shift focus of his own misdeeds. He and his corrupt cronies are furiously shoveling coal to stoke this fire even as the walls are closing in on them.

I guess my point is that Trump wants stupid or gullible people to believe all politicians are more or less equally corrupt and treat them the same. F#ck that. He's shown us exactly who he is for several years now. Much in the same way we wouldn't treat the Zodiac Killer the same as a jaywaker, we should not extend the same leniency to Trump as we do typical politicians.

I think a lot of us are just really on edge about doing things that could potentially aid Trump in any way.

• Plus1 1

The personal lawyer of the guy accused of colluding with Russia was sneaking off to Russia to speak at a Kremlin-bankrolled conference. He was invited by a Putin crony, to speak with a sanctioned Putin advisor and probably got paid for going but won't say how much or by whom. He was going to go again this year until the media uncovered his plans, then he backed out.

Thinking_Face_Emoji-Emoji-Island.png

1/ Last night, the WaPo reported Rudy Giuliani was slated to make a paid appearance at a Kremlin-backed conference. He canceled after the story. But we remembered: He ATTENDED THE CONFERENCE LAST YEAR. WE HAVE TAPE.  via Trump, Inc podcast w/@WNYC

2/ Giuliani *went to* the conference at the invitation of a Russian-allied businessman who literally rebuilt the Kremlin. (Putin gave the guy an award for it.) Giuliani was billed to be on a panel with two advisers to Putin, including one on the U.S.’s sanctions list.

3/ Here’s Giuliani speaking at the same conference last year that he just canceled under heat last night.

4/ Here's a clip of Giuliani during the trip last year. He explains, “I’m not here in my capacity as a private lawyer for President Trump. I’m here as a private citizen.”

5/ What was Giuliani invited to speak about? Cybersecurity and “technological breakthrough.”

6/ The WaPo now reports that Giuliani was scheduled to appear this year on a panel again with — wait for it — the same sanctioned Putin adviser whom we flagged last year!
https://propub.li/2od9vlr

7/ So what *is* this conference? The WaPo describes it as the “brainchild of Putin,” meant as part of a bulwark against Western Europe. The conference’s site says it’s bankrolled by the Russian govt. http://ereforum.org/organizers/?la

8/ Giuliani told the WaPo he WAS going to be paid for this latest appearance. But he wouldn’t say by whom or how much.

9/ Giuliani’s appearance at the conference last year wasn’t an isolated thing. As we reported, he has been traveling to Russia and the region frequently as the guest of powerful players there.

10/ We asked Giuliani whether he was being paid for all these trips to former Soviet states, and if so by whom. He wouldn’t say.

There's more, but that's the meat of it. Here's the original tweet if you want to see the embedded videos.

• Thanks 2