(POLL) Should NU fire Miles?

Should NU Fire Miles  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How did Nebraska not get Dana Altman?

Because Oregon is a better job?

I don't know why no one on this board can't give a straight up answer on why, when Altman wanted the Neb job they turned him down. Oregon was not a better job at the time he was hired there. Altman made it a better job.

Big mistake by Neb. Great hire for OR.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

I can't claim to be an expert on the entire climate of college basketball in the mid-2000's, but Creighton was already a better job, and most coaches don't willingly downgrade jobs. Just because they weren't getting quality W-L records doesn't really mean it wasn't a great job to take. Coincidentally coincided with the beginning of Oregon's resurgence in football as well.

I can't claim to be an expert on the entire climate of college basketball in the mid-2000's, but Creighton was already a better job, and most coaches don't willingly downgrade jobs. Just because they weren't getting quality W-L records doesn't really mean it wasn't a great job to take. Coincidentally coincided with the beginning of Oregon's resurgence in football as well.

Still, doesn't answer the Question does it. Altman wanted the job here. Oregon trending upward in football and the w-l record in basketball there, good or bad, wouldn't have made a difference. Altman wanted the Neb job. All I'm asking is why wasn't he hired. Is there something that I'm missing, that was explained back then.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

they passed him up multiple times. first time brought nebraska the great barry collier. believe that was when he said he wanted the nu job. dont think when they hired the peerless doc sadler he was even a consideration. by the time the miles experiment came around he was already at oregon. he also would have been the reason for creighton being the better job in 2007. he also left k-state to take over creighton after the 93-94 season.

for whatever reason altman was never the direction they wanted to go with the basketball program.

• Fire 2

they passed him up multiple times. first time brought nebraska the great barry collier. believe that was when he said he wanted the nu job. dont think when they hired the peerless doc sadler he was even a consideration. by the time the miles experiment came around he was already at oregon. he also would have been the reason for creighton being the better job in 2007. he also left k-state to take over creighton after the 93-94 season.

for whatever reason altman was never the direction they wanted to go with the basketball program.

TY.

That's the best I've seen explained on why he was not hired for the job.

It's just frustrating to watch or figure out what direction this program is trying to go. All it seems like the last 10-15 yrs is, it is going in circles.

GBR!!!

Still, doesn't answer the Question does it. Altman wanted the job here. Oregon trending upward in football and the w-l record in basketball there, good or bad, wouldn't have made a difference. Altman wanted the Neb job. All I'm asking is why wasn't he hired. Is there something that I'm missing, that was explained back then.

GBR!!!

From what I remember the AD wasn't ready to hire Dana when Collier was hired. Not sure why Collier was thought to be a better hire. When TO hired Sadler again it was over Altman and when Altman started looking around Sadler was only in year 2 and we weren't ready to make a change. In hindsight DA could have been a great hire with the local guy does well theme. Maybe TO wanted to be the only "local kid" to become a legend. He didn't make many great hires when he was AD.

Altman only had 7 yrs HC experience when Collier was hired. Collier had 11 yrs at Butler and had just finished his 4th 20 win season in a row. He also had 6 yrs exp as an assistant in the PAC10. Just looking at their resumes up to that point and Collier does make sense to hire given he had more experience as an AC/HC.

and with hindsight being what it is, you look at Altman's resume now and are frustrated with how Nebraska failed to hire him not once but twice. Flip side of that is you dont know if he would have been able to duplicate the success he has enjoyed thus far in his career.

• Fire 3

I need some confirmation; did he leave K-state or was he let go. I guess for years, i thought he was let go but i'm not sure that's correct?

One of the media guys this week termed it "basically run off" but I'm not sure exactly. I took that to mean he wasn't fired but the situation wasn't going well so he looked elsewhere.

I guess I always thought that even though Oregon may have been a better coaching job, what local guy wouldn't want to go to their home states big time university. He succeeded at Creighton, you'd think we would be able to succeed at Nebraska. Heck, just transfer the Creighton kids to Lincoln.