LJS: Don't Discount POB in QB Race

Mavric

Do we hold on to POB if he doesn't win the qb battle this year?

Unlikely, and he'd be a bit crazy to stay. If he has the skill Reilly says he has, he could start in a lot of places. No reason to spend his career on the bench at Nebraska.

It would depend if/when he left though, right? Tanner has 2 years, so 2019 would be either POB (RsJr.) or Gebbia (RsSo). If POB were to transfer after the during/after the fall season, I think he's sitting until 2019 anyway.

I'm a big believer in Gebbia; I would imagine that if POB can't beat out Lee, he won't beat out Tristan.

If Lee uses 2 years of eligibility it is unlikely we keep POB and Gebbia in my eyes. If POB is better than Gebbia I don't think it would be stupid of him to stay, he could start for 2 years and go on to the league like he wants. In that case Gebbia would probably move on though he would only have 1 year to contribute here.

The other scenario is interesting as well though. What if Lee doesn't use up his eligibility and declares for the draft after this year? Could put us in a tough position if POB did jump ship earlier on

If Lee uses 2 years of eligibility it is unlikely we keep POB and Gebbia in my eyes. If POB is better than Gebbia I don't think it would be stupid of him to stay, he could start for 2 years and go on to the league like he wants. In that case Gebbia would probably move on though he would only have 1 year to contribute here.

The other scenario is interesting as well though. What if Lee doesn't use up his eligibility and declares for the draft after this year? Could put us in a tough position if POB did jump ship earlier on

If Lee declares for the draft after this year, chances are that we'll have had a VERY good year, team-wise.

Regardless, in 2 years, I think we'll only have 1 of the 3 on campus.

I'm very excited to see what POB or Gebbia an do after Lee is done. I don't have a favorite either way.

However, the big question with Gebbia is if he can gain good weight. Some people can and some can't. If he can't....we either need POB or whomever we sign in 2018.

This is all the reason why signing at least one good QB each year is so important. And...a walkon or two isn't a bad thing either as an insurance policy.

Unlikely, and he'd be a bit crazy to stay. If he has the skill Reilly says he has, he could start in a lot of places. No reason to spend his career on the bench at Nebraska.

It would depend if/when he left though, right? Tanner has 2 years, so 2019 would be either POB (RsJr.) or Gebbia (RsSo). If POB were to transfer after the during/after the fall season, I think he's sitting until 2019 anyway.

If he doesn't win the job this year. it would only be prudent for him to transfer. Otherwise he's risking sticking around for two years and still have to compete for the job.

As to when, I guess it depends on when they really announce the winner. You'd think he'd want to leave before the fall semester starts.

If he doesn't win the job this year. it would only be prudent for him to transfer. Otherwise he's risking sticking around for two years and still have to compete for the job.

As to when, I guess it depends on when they really announce the winner. You'd think he'd want to leave before the fall semester starts.

I really hope he stays if he doesn't get the nod come the end of fall camp. Also, I hope that spring and fall camp becomes a competitive battle between Lee and POB. Something to keep in mind is that if Lee gets the starting job, then he is only one play away from getting a serious injury during the course of the season. Keeping POB is essential as a quality backup or replacement as the grueling season progresses. Potential Injuries are always a strong possibility. TA last year and TM during Bo's tenure are prime example of what can happen without quality depth. If Tanner is all world POB could still have two years of starting time provided he beats out the other up and comers.

I have a feeling Lee will win the competition and if that's the case i'm hoping we perform well enough to get POB some game reps. This could potentially help everyone with worries of transfer. If he comes in and doesn't do well then that could ease the minds of everyone. If he doesn't perform like eveyone hopes then it's not a big deal if he transfers. If he doesn't do well he may realize he isn't that good right now and needs to stick around. If he does do well that gives him a leg up on Gebbia because he will have game experience. Also if Lee does really well this year I could see him leaving for the nfl since he has already sat out a year. Plus eveyone already thinks he has pro talent. I'm just hoping for solid QB play and a lot of wins

I'm a big believer in Gebbia; I would imagine that if POB can't beat out Lee, he won't beat out Tristan.

I think you must be smokin the chronic

Gebbia is a better overall prospect. POB has a better knowledge of the playbook and more size, but Gebbia can acquire those with time, and he has the better arm of the two.

Gebbia is a better overall prospect. POB has a better knowledge of the playbook and more size, but Gebbia can acquire those with time, and he has a much better arm than POB.

I agree that Gebbia has more upside as a QB. I like that he has room to grow and get bigger. A lot of kids peak at 18-19 years old.

This is all the reason why signing at least one good QB each year is so important. And...a walkon or two isn't a bad thing either as an insurance policy.

I agree. If we are recruiting the position at a high level, transfers are not a question of if, but when. So far the staff seems to have a great ability to recruit the QB spot and got the Juco walk on. The position even with a transfer is shaping up nicely.

• Fire 1

I agree. If we are recruiting the position at a high level, transfers are not a question of if, but when. So far the staff seems to have a great ability to recruit the QB spot and got the Juco walk on. The position even with a transfer is shaping up nicely.

That's a good point; I'm interested in seeing what Bunch can bring to the table.

Gebbia's biggest knock is that it will take him at least a redshirt year, probably longer, to get to the physical stature to be able to play the game at this level. He looks like a stiff breeze might send him sailing away.

I'm excited to see his career progress. He does appear to be pretty lanky at the moment, but I think he'll have plenty of time to man out.