Spring Practice - Offensive Line

Again terrible reasons to predict a poor season on the ground this year. Riley said we aren't a passing offense, since you are so caught up on his quotes. This year is not last year. Since we will never agree I'm willing to put my reputation on the line, are you?

You're pretty sure of yourself which is a good thing for you. Also one's overall performance being an indicator of next year's performance isn't what I'd call a 'terrible reason'.

You're assuming a noticeable increase in performance from a group that already under performed last year. It's as simple as that...

But the thing is, there are alot of differences between this year's line and the one that put up a terrible performance, which I have pointed out and you have ignored. The group that underperformed had Utter at center and Haun at guard and zero for backups. This group has Decker at center(maybe an upgrade, maybe not) Foster at guard (definitely an upgrade) and enough scholarship lineman to make a second unit. So I don't think it's too far fetched to expect better results from a line that upgraded it's depth and overall starting 5 and has another year of experience.

You are basing your prediction on last year's performance and quotes by Riley which you have twisted to mean this line won't get it done. He never said that. I'm sorry if I don't see that as an accurate representation of our line

So you know for sure that all of these guys are going to be 'upgrades' and that our backup linemen who have never played are going to A) actually play when their position coach is known for not playing backups and that B) the guys from last year actually develop (A major gripe with many regarding Cavanaugh) into better linemen this year?

To reiterate. You're assuming a noticeable increase in performance from a group that already under performed last year. It's as simple as that...

Decker I don't know for sure. Foster I do know for sure, he was going to be the starter last year for a reason.

And the backups will play if our starters get hurt, which is what happened a year ago. Is it wrong of me to assume our recruits can fill in better than our walkons when asked to step in due to injury?

And is this "Cav can't develop" gripe coming from Oregon State fans? Because I would say he has not had sufficient time here to judge him on development. After this season that will no longer be true but as of now I don't think we have enough of a sample to say he has done a bad job developing at Nebraska.

I really believe we will get better, and I really feel like there is more evidence supporting me than you and that's why I am willing to put my reputation on the line to say we will be better. I honestly see no way we could not improve barring multiple season ending injuries.

So I suppose you are right. But if we indeed underperformed a year ago would that mean we have the capacity to do better? And that its more likely they will peform up to their talent rather than underperform again?

I really hope you are right. That's what I think is getting lost in translation here. I'm not confident at all in Mike Cavanaugh so for me seeing such drastic improvement isn't something I'm confident in saying. The offensive line has always been one of my favorite 'parts' of Nebraska football so ease up. Again I do actually hope you are right.

• Fire 1

Also I'm not playing the what if game whatsoever. I'm stating facts. Foster WILL be back, we WILL have scholarship depth, Knevel WILL be more healthy. Assuming otherwise is playing the what if game

Last word.

That game works in 3rd grade or if your word has substance - sorry

How would we get the same result or worse with almost the same line minus the weak link and adding 4 scholarship players to the depth chart?

because if you take the blinders off you will see that they are very marginal and that is being kind. quit making damn excuses yr after yr after yr .....................................................................................................................................................................................

• Fire 1

Jay Foreman on Diaco: “From the first practice I saw to the last one I was at last week, I watched the outside linebackers,” Foreman said. “What I saw was drastic improvement. Whatever he’s doing, it’s working.”

And that's with a coach that's only been here for a few months, not a few years. Has anyone heard anything similar said about the O-line's improvement this spring? Anyone? Because I'd sure love to hear some.

Do the Huskers finish better than 9th in rushing this season behind this group after last year's dismal finish? Was that the worst Nebraska's ever finished as far as rushing offense in their respective conference?

Someone can double-check the records on this, but I'm pretty sure we never finished 9th or worse back in the Big 8 days. :worship

• Fire 1

I think people are missing a big issue here as far as the o-line and development. I can't say I'm sold on Cav as a coach but I will cut him some slack because of the world of football these days. I'ld venture to say 90% of HS teams these days play some sort of spread, zone read offense. This isn't exactly the tough nose style of blocking evertone wants from our O-line. Simply put most of the blocking is turn to your right or left and if someone comes across your face use there momentum to block them. In some cases just let the guy go and move to the next level. So unless these kids already have some sort of meaN streak they aren't really learning it in these finesse offenses. I've read everyone say Riley runs a finess offense but it still calls for one on one blocking and at time drive blocking. Cav was essentially teaching these guys a new language. Even the older guys because even cotton didn't have those guys drive blocking guys 10 yards down the field like they were road graters. Eveyone just needs to calm down and let the season get underway before they start throwing people under the bus

I think people are missing a big issue here as far as the o-line and development. I can't say I'm sold on Cav as a coach but I will cut him some slack because of the world of football these days. I'ld venture to say 90% of HS teams these days play some sort of spread, zone read offense. This isn't exactly the tough nose style of blocking evertone wants from our O-line. Simply put most of the blocking is turn to your right or left and if someone comes across your face use there momentum to block them. In some cases just let the guy go and move to the next level. So unless these kids already have some sort of meaN streak they aren't really learning it in these finesse offenses. I've read everyone say Riley runs a finess offense but it still calls for one on one blocking and at time drive blocking. Cav was essentially teaching these guys a new language. Even the older guys because even cotton didn't have those guys drive blocking guys 10 yards down the field like they were road graters. Eveyone just needs to calm down and let the season get underway before they start throwing people under the bus

doesn't sem to bother wisconsin, michigan and about 40 other schools around the country, more excuses.

• Fire 1

doesn't sem to bother wisconsin, michigan and about 40 other schools around the country, more excuses.
Interestingly enough Michigan averaged 213 ypg and Wisconsin 203. Not overwhelmingly more than us. Certainly not enough to prove any point you were thinking about. Even more interesting, the year before Michigan averaged 158 and Wisconsin 150 it looks like. Those are lower totals than either one of our "terrible" years.

Someone can fact check me. On mobile and could have seen that wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

As it relates to our current OL, the past 2 years under Cav, my opinion is simply based on the "eye ball" test. We seem to get beat at the point of attack, unable to get a consistent push and don't look like a top 25 OL.......This against "equal to better" competition.

That fact we have recruited OL is great. The fact that we aren't world beaters is concerning. I feel that we have improved in most facets of our game, but the OL play is very concerning. Throw in the coaches comments, less mobile QB's and we might be in for a long season. The offense (all teams) lives or dies on the OL ability to protect and move defenders.

This is a difficult theory to prove and relies quite a bit on conjecture.

Offenses across the country are taking similarly talented linemen as we are (and, in many cases, less talented linemen) and turning them into tough all-conference caliber players. I personally don't think an intangible 'mean streak' is what they're missing. I believe, in Nebraska's case, it has been years of average coaching, inconsistent recruiting and a lack of offensive identity.

All of that blame can't be placed on Cav, but so far, I haven't seen anything that suggests we're any better than we were five or 10 years ago. I'm hoping he can change that in 2017.

Nick Gates isn't a tough all conference caliber player? Tanner Farmer? We have the guys to make a jump. Last year the line played well at times. Look I understand there is concern but shouldn't there be a little optimism as well? This group, personell wise is in a better position than last year and that can't be argued. Doesn't that give anyone besides me any hope?

• Fire 1

Nick Gates isn't a tough all conference caliber player? Tanner Farmer? We have the guys to make a jump. Last year the line played well at times. Look I understand there is concern but shouldn't there be a little optimism as well? This group, personell wise is in a better position than last year and that can't be argued. Doesn't that give anyone besides me any hope?

Been trying to push that for about two days. Don't waste your time.

This is a difficult theory to prove and relies quite a bit on conjecture.

Offenses across the country are taking similarly talented linemen as we are (and, in many cases, less talented linemen) and turning them into tough all-conference caliber players. I personally don't think an intangible 'mean streak' is what they're missing. I believe, in Nebraska's case, it has been years of average coaching, inconsistent recruiting and a lack of offensive identity.

All of that blame can't be placed on Cav, but so far, I haven't seen anything that suggests we're any better than we were five or 10 years ago. I'm hoping he can change that in 2017.

Most of the linemen these other schools are getting probably played in a spread offense and are now playing in a spread offense in college. I'm not saying they aren't receiving good coaching but it's the same style of play and blocking. I have a feeling our O-line will out perform people's expectation of them. At least I hope they will.

Wisconsin only rushed for 203 yards a game. I don't exactly think that is lighting the rushing world on fire. I also think both of their top 2 backs are better than ours.