Spring Practice - Offensive Line

Even if we had TO in his prime coaching the Huskers, I highly doubt we would achieve the same offensive numbers we did in the 90s. I have no doubt TO in his prime could be successful on the same level as he was in the 90s, but he wouldn't be able to do it the exact same way.

• Fire 1

It is extremely baffling how poorly we are at running screens - especially for a coaching staff that claims they like to run screens.

We have literally looked like a Jr. High team for two years - the timing is almost always completely messed up.

And apparently it's not getting any better:

But the crispness, especially on the offensive line, isn’t there yet. NU tried another screen play Saturday to a tight end that looked like a mess from the start. It gained 4 yards — which is an improvement over last week.

OWH

It is extremely baffling how poorly we are at running screens - especially for a coaching staff that claims they like to run screens.

We have literally looked like a Jr. High team for two years - the timing is almost always completely messed up.

But the crispness, especially on the offensive line, isn’t there yet. NU tried another screen play Saturday to a tight end that looked like a mess from the start. It gained 4 yards — which is an improvement over last week.

OWH

I dont know why its surprising when our oline purportedly cant even pull on running plays

OWH

Sigh... At this point, I'm almost hoping Riley drops the axe on Cavanaugh after spring.

OWH

Sigh... At this point, I'm almost hoping Riley drops the axe on Cavanaugh after spring.

he won't but it wouldnt be a bad idea

OWH

he won't but it wouldnt be a bad idea

except that we would most likely lose the #3 center in the country and have a really hard time pulling in any decent o-line recruits this year. I don't think firing a coach in the spring is a good thing to do unless 1. said coach does something absolutely dumb/terrible and forces the head coaches hand, or 2. is just so god awful as a coach and recruiter that you have to get rid of him immediately.

I don't think coach cav has shown he is either

OWH

A little off topic- but did anyone else notice in the OWH article the OWH can't even correctly identify our QBs... yikes.

But the crispness, especially on the offensive line, isnt there yet. NU tried another screen play Saturday to a tight end that looked like a mess from the start. It gained 4 yards which is an improvement over last week.

OWH

A little off topic- but did anyone else notice in the OWH article the OWH can't even correctly identify our QBs... yikes.
in the picture at the top? Yea that is definitely Gebbia not Lee lol

I still maintain that yard- s rushing are worth more in terms of winning games than are yards passing. I admit I have not read the specific stats to prove this point but after watching football for about 40 years now, it seems evident to me that the team that runs the ball best normally wins the game. Often, teams that have 300 yards passing but rush for less than 100 will lose to an opponet that runs for 300 and passes for less than 100. I do recall seeing stats that show that Nebraska, historically over many decades, has won a very very high percentage of their games when rushing for 400 yards and even at the 300 yards mark won a high percentage. The same cannot be said for Nebraska teams which passed for over 400 or even 300 yards, in any style or type of offense or in any 'era' of the game, atleast in the past 40 years.

OU won an extremely high percentage of games in their wishbone attack when rushing for over 400 yards, even when passing for less than 50.

Again, I don't have the statistical research to back my opinion up as such, but I would tend to say that, in general, a team which averages 300 yards rushing and 100 yards passing will be favored to win vs a team with run/passyards in reverse. And this would assume average defenses on both sides. This is supported by the conventional wisdom / coach and commentator that most defensive coaches will want to first stop the run and make the opponent one dimentional and that one dimention would be to make them throw. A team could grossly overplay the pass and stop all the passing completely but will lose to an offense with a strong run game. And any team with a great run game and 'average' passing capabilities will find that once the opponent goes all in to stop the run the passes become easy and will make the average passer look like Payton Manning versus many opponents (Nebraska excluded).

It is very true that rules have changed favoring the pass over the run as compared to 25 years ago. But, I also believe a Sooner wishbone or Husker "Osbone' attack would be just as capable of delivering National championships in 2017 as they were in 1980s and 90s.

Riley is NOT a run first, pass when forced to do so, believer. He has never in his career had a team with the capability to exert its will on the oppoent and has always had to use finesse and deception and so on to find a way to pull out a win. He has had to win most of his games by outguessing and so on and not by out powering and dominating physically. Hopefully, he understands that you win most games before the game is played by being bigger, stronger, faster and more prepared, physically and mentally. To become 'elite', you need all of the above, plus a little luck along the way.

I still maintain that yard- s rushing are worth more in terms of winning games than are yards passing. I admit I have not read the specific stats to prove this point but after watching football for about 40 years now, it seems evident to me that the team that runs the ball best normally wins the game. Often, teams that have 300 yards passing but rush for less than 100 will lose to an opponet that runs for 300 and passes for less than 100. I do recall seeing stats that show that Nebraska, historically over many decades, has won a very very high percentage of their games when rushing for 400 yards and even at the 300 yards mark won a high percentage. The same cannot be said for Nebraska teams which passed for over 400 or even 300 yards, in any style or type of offense or in any 'era' of the game, atleast in the past 40 years.

OU won an extremely high percentage of games in their wishbone attack when rushing for over 400 yards, even when passing for less than 50.

Again, I don't have the statistical research to back my opinion up as such, but I would tend to say that, in general, a team which averages 300 yards rushing and 100 yards passing will be favored to win vs a team with run/passyards in reverse. And this would assume average defenses on both sides. This is supported by the conventional wisdom / coach and commentator that most defensive coaches will want to first stop the run and make the opponent one dimentional and that one dimention would be to make them throw. A team could grossly overplay the pass and stop all the passing completely but will lose to an offense with a strong run game. And any team with a great run game and 'average' passing capabilities will find that once the opponent goes all in to stop the run the passes become easy and will make the average passer look like Payton Manning versus many opponents (Nebraska excluded).

It is very true that rules have changed favoring the pass over the run as compared to 25 years ago. But, I also believe a Sooner wishbone or Husker "Osbone' attack would be just as capable of delivering National championships in 2017 as they were in 1980s and 90s.

Riley is NOT a run first, pass when forced to do so, believer. He has never in his career had a team with the capability to exert its will on the oppoent and has always had to use finesse and deception and so on to find a way to pull out a win. He has had to win most of his games by outguessing and so on and not by out powering and dominating physically. Hopefully, he understands that you win most games before the game is played by being bigger, stronger, faster and more prepared, physically and mentally. To become 'elite', you need all of the above, plus a little luck along the way.

With the talent we have on the team. If we ran this offense, we would be held to 100 yards rushing and 25 yards passing against any of the top 5 teams in the nation. OSU, PSU and Wisconsin would stack the box and destroy our offensive line. Add in the fact that our wr group is super talented and yet you are not getting playmakers the ball. In short those offenses are a thing of the past and running the ball for 2 yard is not as good as a screen/ short pass for 5 yards, every yard matters in today's game.

With the talent we have on the team. If we ran this offense, we would be held to 100 yards rushing and 25 yards passing against any of the top 5 teams in the nation. OSU, PSU and Wisconsin would stack the box and destroy our offensive line. Add in the fact that our wr group is super talented and yet you are not getting playmakers the ball. In short those offenses are a thing of the past and running the ball for 2 yard is not as good as a screen/ short pass for 5 yards, every yard matters in today's game.
They were saying the Nebraska offense was a thing of the past in 1989 and also WHILE we were winning championships with it. They all said the Miami linebackers were too fast. They all said the Fun&gun was too fast. Then they ran into literally the best offense in history. And it was a power rushing attack featuring the option out of multiple sets, including an extremely effective play action pass. No Husker coach has matched it. And it surprises me how quickly so many people disregard the formula, and the principles.

Absolutely those things would work today. The only problem would be the NCAA who would start tossing our players for being too mean.

HuskermanMike said: With the talent we have on the team. If we ran this offense, we would be held to 100 yards rushing and 25 yards passing against any of the top 5 teams in the nation. OSU, PSU and Wisconsin would stack the box and destroy our offensive line. Add in the fact that our wr group is super talented and yet you are not getting playmakers the ball. In short those offenses are a thing of the past and running the ball for 2 yard is not as good as a screen/ short pass for 5 yards, every yard matters in today's game.

​I don't think Nebraska's problem is talent along the OL. We've had three (on paper) very good OL classes, two of which, have redshirted. I think the talent is there.

I have a sneaking suspicion the weak OL we're seeing is a by-product of a pass first mentality. Running the ball requires a level of physicality, desire, and attitude that this team just doesn't seem to have. The OL just seems to be too passive.

Its still spring ball, and they have summer conditioning, and fall camp to bring the recipe together.

HuskermanMike said: With the talent we have on the team. If we ran this offense, we would be held to 100 yards rushing and 25 yards passing against any of the top 5 teams in the nation. OSU, PSU and Wisconsin would stack the box and destroy our offensive line. Add in the fact that our wr group is super talented and yet you are not getting playmakers the ball. In short those offenses are a thing of the past and running the ball for 2 yard is not as good as a screen/ short pass for 5 yards, every yard matters in today's game.

​I don't think Nebraska's problem is talent along the OL. We've had three (on paper) very good OL classes, two of which, have redshirted. I think the talent is there.

I have a sneaking suspicion the weak OL we're seeing is a by-product of a pass first mentality. Running the ball requires a level of physicality, desire, and attitude that this team just doesn't seem to have. The OL just seems to be too passive.

Its still spring ball, and they have summer conditioning, and fall camp to bring the recipe together.

Offensive lineman have to be able to block and pass and if they can only do one or the other, they are not playing. Running toward the side of Nick Gate and Gerald Foster seems like it would work well, Gates is a great o-lineman and Foster is a really good run blocker-probably the best run blocker on the team. I don't think its a pass first mentality as much as coaching, Cav will keep his job because of his really good recruiting prowess, which almost landed us a stud recruit. Next year Tavita might help out with the offensive line some while coaching the TE's also. Tavita can't be a paid assistant until 2018 if I recall correctly with the new rule change to 10 assistants.

Now he needs to get these guys to play well in the first through third quarters, because we all know last year we were used to wearing teams down late. If we are better conditioned, we should dominate some teams that we play, but not all of them. Easily our o-line is better than 8 of the D-lines that we play, and two of those last four teams are teams that we can still beat if they bring it. I wonder if we will see some position battles that go through the season, mainly the RT spot that knevel has. If he stays healthy he might be better than we think, the problem was that toward the end of last year he was hobbling around during games. If he is not any better healthy, I would bet that someone takes his spot later in the year.

They were saying the Nebraska offense was a thing of the past in 1989 and also WHILE we were winning championships with it. They all said the Miami linebackers were too fast. They all said the Fun&gun was too fast. Then they ran into literally the best offense in history. And it was a power rushing attack featuring the option out of multiple sets, including an extremely effective play action pass. No Husker coach has matched it. And it surprises me how quickly so many people disregard the formula, and the principles.

Absolutely those things would work today. The only problem would be the NCAA who would start tossing our players for being too mean.

It's nice seeing Ga Tech, Navy and Army on top of the polls and offensive statistics every year since they run the best offense ever created, oh wait...

I don't think the offense style is what makes a winning team. You have to have bad ass players running your scheme. If you do, you will do well.

How do you get bad ass players you ask? Well the best way to do this is through very solid evaluation process and recruiting those players you target well, but most importantly you get bad ass players through development once you get them to campus. You get them to live the system you run and be completely "bought in" I believe this is where TO separates himself. I think he could have ran a number of different offensive schemes and it wouldn't have mattered.