Spring Practice - Offensive Line

A former Nebraska offensive lineman told me Sunday he could tell before the snap, with 90-percent accuracy, whether the Huskers were going to run the ball or pass it based on the linemen's stances. They were "flat-backed" on run plays (rear ends up) and set back a bit more in their stances (rear ends lower) on pass plays. I'll leave it at that. But watch the replay. He has a point.

LJS

I was a little more concerned about these comments from the same article.

Gates told reporters that Nebraska's offensive linemen, under the direction of Mike Cavanaugh, are trying to change their ways this season.
That's the good news. The issue was Gates' comments about last season.
"There was kind of a lot of moaning and complaining, things like that," he said. "We go out early before practice, as you guys know, and a lot of people complained about that. So (Cavanaugh) told us to cut out all the complaining and moaning and just try to go out there and do everything right and correct."
Gates said Cavanaugh has turned up the intensity this spring.
"He's definitely on us a lot more," Gates said. "He wants us to change the culture around here. We're trying."
The comments help explain the line's two miserable performances against Iowa and Tennessee to end last season.
But two questions arise:
(1) Where was the line's sense of urgency last year in Cavanaugh's second season at Nebraska?
(2) Can the group simply flip a switch this season and change its ways?
  • Fire 1

How would we get the same result or worse with almost the same line minus the weak link and adding 4 scholarship players to the depth chart?

because if you take the blinders off you will see that they are very marginal and that is being kind. quit making damn excuses yr after yr after yr .....................................................................................................................................................................................

You have a tendency to mistake "observations" for "excuses."

you know those are more than observations el pontificato of which you have a tendency to do on a regular basis!

The team started the season out 7-0 and while none of these wins were dominating and there were clearly signs of weakness, especially in the line, there remained some optimisim for ther rest of the season. Ofcourse the wheels fell off and the train derailed after the disappointment in Wiscy and the debacle vs Ohio State. The team phyche melted down with Armstrong's injury as it was virtually a foregone conclusion that without a second or even third string QB (Fyfe was a 4th string at best), things would not be good. They weren't. This highlighted the critical need to be sure we have 3 (three) QBs ready to play and lead the team to a victory not just hand the ball off to run out the clock for the rest of the game and or season. We don't 'punt' the rest of the year because we don't have enough scholarships to field a capable QB.

Gebbia doesn't redshirt IF either POB or Lee gets hurt, in my opinion, unless Bunch is a lot better than Fyfe. Unless the line is so poor and or the season is already 'over' in terms of a winning / successful season.

There is NO EXCUSE for Nebraska fielding an O line that is not capable of performing relatively routine top twenty five level blocking such as pulling, trapping, pocket pass protection, etc. If in fact our line the last several years has been so inadequate to the job that we couldn't, then there are some serious changes required.

Hopefully, by fall, the improved strength and conditioning programs (Boyd Epley effect) should make a marked improvement in the overall fitness, conditioning, strength, power, agility, durability, etc. For people who have watched live practices the past several seasons, I am curious - do the players, as a group, appear better conditioned, more muscular, developed, fit and like Husker football players should look? I don't see a lot of change in POB but maybe its just me. He's been at Nebraska now for 15 months including two springs, a full season and winter conditioning. There should be some significant change but he looks a little 'undeveloped' in my view.

I noticed a number of players who looked winded, a little tired, etc during the spring game. This ought not be happening as none played more than a half or so and most less than that. There were plenty of breaks, huddles between plays, time outs, breaks, etc. Coming off of winter conditioning, we ought to be in good shape to play a full squad scrimmage that was actually short of a full regular timed game. Am I wrong? I was not at the game but just saw the TV shots.

"He's definitely on us a lot more," Gates said. "He wants us to change the culture around here. We're trying."
The comments help explain the line's two miserable performances against Iowa and Tennessee to end last season.
But two questions arise:
(1) Where was the line's sense of urgency last year in Cavanaugh's second season at Nebraska?

Pelini-itis.

If Nebraska, and I mean Mike Riley, ever wants to get the program where he envisions it, he's going to have to become a real hard arse concerning the OL.

Here's my solution, miss a block you do up-downs and run after practice.

Every mistake, every half-arsed effort, everything they do negative has got to have consequences. Either physical of loss of playing time.

Because doing nothing will only result in more of the same like what we saw for 7 years in the former coach. Mediocre, at best, football.

Don't think it's Pelini-itis. It would help if we knew who was complaining but if it was the younger guys those are Cav's guys

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really matter who is doing "the complaining."

And I suppose, to be fair, I should understand the context of the "complaining" but based on what Nick Gates said, it seems to revolve around the fact that the OL doesn't want to do the extra work.

It seems they want to do just enough to get by. Which is, in essence, the basis of "Pelini-itis."

News flash: this line didn't play for Pelini. There's a grand total of one guy on this line that played in a game under Bo. If Cavanaugh and Riley haven't taken control of this group and coached them up, well...

• Fire 1

But two questions arise:

Pelini-itis.

If Nebraska, and I mean Mike Riley, ever wants to get the program where he envisions it, he's going to have to become a real hard arse concerning the OL.

Here's my solution, miss a block you do up-downs and run after practice.

Every mistake, every half-arsed effort, everything they do negative has got to have consequences. Either physical of loss of playing time.

Because doing nothing will only result in more of the same like what we saw for 7 years in the former coach. Mediocre, at best, football.

Up downs and stadium stairs fix everything.

Don't think it's Pelini-itis. It would help if we knew who was complaining but if it was the younger guys those are Cav's guys

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really matter who is doing "the complaining."

And I suppose, to be fair, I should understand the context of the "complaining" but based on what Nick Gates said, it seems to revolve around the fact that the OL doesn't want to do the extra work.

It seems they want to do just enough to get by. Which is, in essence, the basis of "Pelini-itis."

All these guys have played for the current staff longer than they were with Bo. So, your theory doesn't hold water.

• Fire 3

All these guys have played for the current staff longer than they were with Bo. So, your theory doesn't hold water.

Hard work is taught by parents, not by a coach in 2 years. If you arent a hard worker at 18, i doubt you will all of a sudden be one at 20. Bo recruited guys who werent hard workers, simple as that. Cav is stuck with these guys, he cant just recruit 5 guys and start them all their freshman year. You cant coach attitude or hard work, that has to already be in you.

I had heard something similar from another source after the bowl game. This attitude is so disappointing. My source claimed he wasn't surprised at the showing in the bowl game because leading up to it, there was a lot of complaining about practices.

I just don't get it. It doesn't appear to necessarily be a Cavanagh issue because it seems like it's been around much longer than him. His problem is that he's the one that has to fix it.

"There was kind of a lot of moaning and complaining, things like that," he said. "We go out early before practice, as you guys know, and a lot of people complained about that. So (Cavanaugh) told us to cut out all the complaining and moaning and just try to go out there and do everything right and correct."

Just remember this next year if you think there's a more talented player sitting the bench. It very well might be the way coach needs to teach the players what the right attitude is.

I had heard something similar from another source after the bowl game. This attitude is so disappointing. My source claimed he wasn't surprised at the showing in the bowl game because leading up to it, there was a lot of complaining about practices.

I just don't get it. It doesn't appear to necessarily be a Cavanagh issue because it seems like it's been around much longer than him. His problem is that he's the one that has to fix it.

Just remember this next year if you think there's a more talented player sitting the bench. It very well might be the way coach needs to teach the players what the right attitude is.

Am I remembering this right - didn't we have a pretty extensive pre-bowl practice schedule? Practiced a lot during finals week which is usually some off time?

I'm not saying that excuses the attitude but it seems like I recall there being some comments from media guys about it being out-of-the-norm.

• Fire 1

Not only that, but suggesting it is Pelini's fault almost three years later for poor line play is fairly disingenuous.

• Fire 3

How would we get the same result or worse with almost the same line minus the weak link and adding 4 scholarship players to the depth chart?

because if you take the blinders off you will see that they are very marginal and that is being kind. quit making damn excuses yr after yr after yr .....................................................................................................................................................................................

You have a tendency to mistake "observations" for "excuses."

you know those are more than observations el pontificato of which you have a tendency to do on a regular basis!

Only one exclamation point?

You're losing your touch, Marko.

I can think of one DB that came in the same class as three of our starting OL, who is having this exact problem. It is not always the length of time in the system that determines the impact on a player.