Abortion Question

I don't like abortion, but I'm pro-choice. One thought that I go back to is those using contraceptives. There is still a possibility of pregnancy; I personally know someone who become pregnant despite an IUD. The couple chose to have to baby, and I agree with that decision, but I still think that was their decision to make. They were in school, and it was a life-changing and career altering decision for both of them. They were being responsible with contraceptives and still got pregnant (I understand abstinence is the only certain).

My personal belief, there should be time period allowed for abortion. I saw a mention of 5.5 weeks for a heartbeat, but some people don't even know they're pregnant within that period of time. Without getting into the weeds, maybe it should be allowed within the first trimester. I think I saw 0% viability at 21 weeks, and only 50% viability at 24 weeks. After that, I think it should be allowed when there is significant risk to the mother's health.

• Fire 5

Don't Christians believe the aborted baby goes directly to heaven? So doesn't that make them the lucky ones? They get to bypass this world of sin and the possibility of hell and go straight to heaven. At least that is what I believed when I was big into religion.

Yeah, I've heard that. And I know there are some who believe it. But I'm not sure where this belief came from. If you look at Christianity throughout history with a critical eye, you can come up with all sorts of odd beliefs and superstitions.

So you believe you can only get to heaven by proving yourself on Earth first?

I dont like abortion, but its up to the individual if they want to be parents or not. If the child is born into a family thay doesnt want it. Into a world that doesnt care about it. Into a govt that argues about whether to help it. Its not good for that person either.

How many times have you looked at someone and said that person should never reproduce because their kids do whatever they want and you can tell the parents dont give a sh#t? Its a daily basis for me.

I feel the same way.

I will get ridicule for this but if a woman goes in for an abortion because she simply doesnt want a child, she should receive the abortion and then be fixed that same day. This wouldnt aplly to women that have been raped, have medical issues or the fetus having medical issues. This would be for the women that cant stop spreading their legs and not taking precautions.

Don't Christians believe the aborted baby goes directly to heaven? So doesn't that make them the lucky ones? They get to bypass this world of sin and the possibility of hell and go straight to heaven. At least that is what I believed when I was big into religion.

Yeah, I've heard that. And I know there are some who believe it. But I'm not sure where this belief came from. If you look at Christianity throughout history with a critical eye, you can come up with all sorts of odd beliefs and superstitions.

Wow, that question is out of left field. I'm not sure what it has to do with abortion, but I'll answer as best as I can. I believe people get to heaven through faith—faith in God and in Jesus Christ. To the extent that our actions on earth demonstrate our faith, I'd say, yes.

I dont like abortion, but its up to the individual if they want to be parents or not. If the child is born into a family thay doesnt want it. Into a world that doesnt care about it. Into a govt that argues about whether to help it. Its not good for that person either.

How many times have you looked at someone and said that person should never reproduce because their kids do whatever they want and you can tell the parents dont give a sh#t? Its a daily basis for me.

I feel the same way.

I will get ridicule for this but if a woman goes in for an abortion because she simply doesnt want a child, she should receive the abortion and then be fixed that same day. This wouldnt aplly to women that have been raped, have medical issues or the fetus having medical issues. This would be for the women that cant stop spreading their legs and not taking precautions.

Accidents happen dude...

1) I hate the idea of abortion but I've never felt I had the place to tell a woman what to do with her body, particularly if the child was forced upon her (i.e. sexual assault). But, to me, it is life.

2) I think the answer to this depends on the woman and her feelings on children. Some people never want to have kids, so I imagine abortion may be less offensive to them. Some people, however, try desperately to have kids and are unable to so they have to consider adoption. I think the latter group of people may be more likely offended by abortion.

I feel the same way.

Good idea. Sterilize all them lady folk who don't know how to act. Out there gettin' pregnant all on their own. They're the only ones responsible. No need for nuance or understanding, just make broad brush generalizations about a group of people making the most private and difficult decisions of their lives.

I'm sure you've never made a mistake in your life.

Wow, that question is out of left field. I'm not sure what it has to do with abortion, but I'll answer as best as I can. I believe people get to heaven through faith—faith in God and in Jesus Christ. To the extent that our actions on earth demonstrate our faith, I'd say, yes.

Its wasn't out of left field. I said don't Christians believe unborn children that are either miscarried or aborted go directly to heaven. You said you don't know where this belief came from. Let me rephrase it, if Christians believe fetus's have life, where do they go when they are miscarried or aborted?

Its wasn't out of left field. I said don't Christians believe unborn children that are either miscarried or aborted go directly to heaven. You said you don't know where this belief came from. Let me rephrase it, if Christians believe fetus's have life, where do they go when they are miscarried or aborted?

And like I said above, I'm not sure where that belief came from. I can see where it would be a comforting thought to some people. But I can't point to anything that supports it.

I feel the same way.

"Fixed"? Are you f'ing kidding me? Spreading their legs? You are out of line. Check it Stumpy.

1) I think it is a viable life at any time after the egg has been fertilized.

The "life" argument is a weak one. Both the sperm and egg were alive before fertilization. The vegetables were alive before we eat them. Same with chickens, pigs, cows, etc. We simply can't survive without taking life.

If you instead mean "living person", then that's a strong argument, but comes with the difficulty of identifying when those cells became a "person".

Well I guess I make some logical presumptions when I use the word "life" in this discussion. It's obvious we are talking about human life and not some vegetable or barnyard animal. I assume everyone will make the logical connection that it is the same as a living person.

I realize there is room for debate for life really begins. Some people wait for a heartbeat or exit through the birth canal or first breathe or first conscious memory. Heck I suppose there are those might determine it is at puberty or college graduation or the onset of menopause. From my POV it doesn't matter. Like I said originally, all those mile markers will occur unless that life dies naturally or some outside force kills it, such as abortion. I figure an unborn baby is about as innocent and helpless a creature as any. I'm sure that if a fetus could reason or talk 100% of them would prefer a chance at life, even a crappy life.

This whole issue becomes a moot point if we put one requirement on it. The only way a person can be for abortion is if they were aborted themselves. Or, put another way, you dont get a vote unless you were aborted. Really, if people would let the full meaning if that sink in....Absolutely everyone deciding this issue has been lucky enough to not have been aborted. It's kind of like everyone not named Jim gets to decide that all Jim's should be killed.

BTW, I am not opposed to abortion in some extreme circumstances and I would prefer that they remain safe and legal for those circumstances.