Geno on Importance of Body Language and Recruiting "We" Kids

Why are those kids harder to find than they were 10 years ago?

I think a lot of it is that there are just plain fewer of those kids to be found nowadays. Today's instant gratification society doesn't value working hard to achieve your goals as much as in years past. It's the cumulative result of being handed things and being told everyone is a winner. Some refer to it as the "participation ribbon" but it is a much more nuanced problem than that.

Come at me millennials chuckleshuffle

Why are those kids harder to find than they were 10 years ago?

I think a lot of it is that there are just plain fewer of those kids to be found nowadays. Today's instant gratification society doesn't value working hard to achieve your goals as much as in years past. It's the cumulative result of being handed things and being told everyone is a winner. Some refer to it as the "participation ribbon" but it is a much more nuanced problem than that.

Come at me millennials chuckleshuffle

I'm a millennial, and I do understand where you are coming from though I would contend that is a disadvantage for us because in honestly at some point in my opinion the hard work ethic must be developed for any sort of achievement to be made.

Given this attitude it can be very difficult for people when they face overwhelming obstacles. People in the past have been unphased by such obstacles because they understand the only way to truly achieve is to put in what you want out. Millennials want the prize without the work and that is not the reality of the world. Realizing this isn't easy so people flounder along thinking they should have something and don't understand why they don't have it. Coming to terms with this reality can be even more difficult for some.

Luckily my grandpa is a rancher

• Fire 1

I think parents start the focus on the "me" in the players after spending tons of $ in select youth sports, with the end goal of earning a college scholarship for their kids. Instead of promoting a team atmosphere, the kids are focused on what is good for themselves.

Yep.
I agree, I think parents don't like it when the order is disturbed either. Most kids on a select team know who the better player is between a two kids, most coaches do too. I think we've all seen the new kid, underclassman, or another teammate become better at a position and upend the "starter" to earn more playing time. It's typically the parents who can't understand the change of roles and get real gossipy or create conflict for the coaches.

I do tend to think basketball is the worst for this though. There are multiple teams/seasons kids play in a year, and they can form their own team or move around to different teams year-to-year to suit their playing time status, and what it ends up doing is breeding the transfer culture of college basketball.

I think parents start the focus on the "me" in the players after spending tons of $ in select youth sports, with the end goal of earning a college scholarship for their kids. Instead of promoting a team atmosphere, the kids are focused on what is good for themselves.

Yep.
I agree, I think parents don't like it when the order is disturbed either. Most kids on a select team know who the better player is between a two kids, most coaches do too. I think we've all seen the new kid, underclassman, or another teammate become better at a position and upend the "starter" to earn more playing time. It's typically the parents who can't understand the change of roles and get real gossipy or create conflict for the coaches.

I do tend to think basketball is the worst for this though. There are multiple teams/seasons kids play in a year, and they can form their own team or move around to different teams year-to-year to suit their playing time status, and what it ends up doing is breeding the transfer culture of college basketball.

From what I have seen out of basketball, soccer and volleyball is that basketball seems to be the worst when it comes to the old "Oh, you didn't make this select team...well...lets just go ahead and either form a select team for you or find a select team that will take you"

• Fire 1

Yep.

From what I have seen out of basketball, soccer and volleyball is that basketball seems to be the worst when it comes to the old "Oh, you didn't make this select team...well...lets just go ahead and either form a select team for you or find a select team that will take you"

I can totally see basketball being the worst, because it has the fewest players on each team, and also the sport where one individual talent can have the biggest impact on that team. It's also the sport where a coach can choose to play one kid over another or make sure one kid gets the ball the most during the game.