DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It sounds like the holdout agreed with the judge and much of America that the prosecution was only brought to try to get leverage to flip Manafort against Trump. 

Ummmm.....you do realize that same juror voted guilty on the other counts.....right???

pretty much shoots down your theory. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

It sounds like the holdout agreed with the judge and much of America that the prosecution was only brought to try to get leverage to flip Manafort against Trump. 

Why do you continue to defend the indefensible?

• Plus1 4
36 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Why do you continue to defend the indefensible?

There are still coaches getting paid millions of dollars a year to run a prevent defense against an offense with more than :45 on the clock, and the offense having 2 timeouts.

Stubbornness carries many forms, I guess.....

7 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

So whats the chances Sessions gets fired? What happens then?

Well, Graham is saying it could happen after the midterms, and his stupid statement today makes it clear he's fine with it. I honestly don't know if it would make much of a difference at that point in time though. That would give Mueller several more months on the investigation, so maybe it'll be done by then. And at the end of the investigation it might be that all he can do anyway is give his findings to the House and Senate. If the Democrats win the House they will certainly impeach Trump. But then the Democrats in the Senate would need 16 or more Republicans to join them in convicting. I don't know what more could be done if that fails regardless of who is in charge of the Justice Dept.

Now if the Democrats can pull off a miracle and also take the Senate, Trump might not want to fire Sessions, because he may not be able to get anyone "better" confirmed.

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Well, Graham is saying it could happen after the midterms, and his stupid statement today makes it clear he's fine with it. I honestly don't know if it would make much of a difference at that point in time though. That would give Mueller several more months on the investigation, so maybe it'll be done by then. And at the end of the investigation it might be that all he can do anyway is give his findings to the House and Senate. If the Democrats win the House they will certainly impeach Trump. But then the Democrats in the Senate would need 16 or more Republicans to join them in convicting. I don't know what more could be done if that fails regardless of who is in charge of the Justice Dept.

Now if the Democrats can pull off a miracle and also take the Senate, Trump might not want to fire Sessions, because he may not be able to get anyone "better" confirmed.

If the Dems win the Senate, they can appoint Mueller as a special prosecutor, so Trump can only fire him from his DoJ appointment but not from the Senate one. I think the House can do the same, but I'm not sure.

• Plus1 1

Is anyone else picturing a "blue wave" this November and absolutely nothing coming from it?

I can see it happening.  Dems winning both houses (although I understand it's a 60/40 at best).  But let's pretend Dems win both.  Would you be surprised if impeachment happened, but the Senate didn't convict?  I'm not even convinced the tax bill would be overhauled because of the stigma of raising taxes.  Healthcare, I can envision that being the new "abortion" for the left.  "We demand it to be fixed, but we also kinda like the votes associated with it...."

I'm getting worn out...

• Plus1 1

I thought I was reading somewhere (Vox?), that Rosenstein is pretty pivotal in the whole thing too. When Mueller is done with his investigation, he turns the results over to Rosenstein who gets to chose what to release, prosecute etc. We may never know the truth if he decides to bury it ?

17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Is anyone else picturing a "blue wave" this November and absolutely nothing coming from it?

I can see it happening.  Dems winning both houses (although I understand it's a 60/40 at best).  But let's pretend Dems win both.  Would you be surprised if impeachment happened, but the Senate didn't convict?  I'm not even convinced the tax bill would be overhauled because of the stigma of raising taxes.  Healthcare, I can envision that being the new "abortion" for the left.  "We demand it to be fixed, but we also kinda like the votes associated with it...."

I'm getting worn out...

I will not be surprised at all if Trump is impeached and there aren't 16 Republicans who would convict.

As for the rest, having a small majority in the House/Senate doesn't allow the Democrats to change much. It just allows them to prevent some s#!tty things (as they see it).

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I thought I was reading somewhere (Vox?), that Rosenstein is pretty pivotal in the whole thing too. When Mueller is done with his investigation, he turns the results over to Rosenstein who gets to chose what to release, prosecute etc. We may never know the truth if he decides to bury it ?

Rosenstein is super important because he's the one technically overseeing the Mueller investigation since Sessions recused himself. Trump cannot order Sessions to fire Mueller, theoretically. He can order Rosenstein to do so, which presumably would result in another Saturday Night Massacre because I believe he'd refuse the order. Or he could just fire Rosenstein and try to replace him with some lackey who will fire Mueller for him.

The way I understand it, Mueller will send his finished report(s) to Congress, not sure about Rosenstein. I doubt it becomes public, though we'll def get leaks. 

The ball is then is completely in Congress's court. There's no way Rosenstein attempts to take action against Trump himself. Both he and Mueller and Republicans and most likely believe the consensus view that a president cannot be indicted and only removed through impeachment or the 25th amendment.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

giphy.gif

The funny thing is, he seems to be saying that instead of investigating him, the DOJ should be investigating "Emails, Comey lies & leaks, Mueller conflicts, McCabe, Strzok, Page, Ohr...... "

They could do both (if there was ample evidence of crime), but that doesn't mean they'll stop investigating Trump.

Whether those guys committed crimes or not doesn't affect Donnie Moscow or his (alleged) crimes.

• Plus1 2