LandOf10: Iowa-Nebraska series sizzling toward rivalry status

Rivalry Talk  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If this years game is say a 10 win team vs an 11 win team showdown to decide the Division Champion and the game is an absolute barn burner, will THAT be enough to push this over the edge towards "Rivalry" status?

IDK....I think this whole rivalry deal is more of a personal feeling than actually meeting any certain definition. That's why I don't really have a problem if somebody views it as a rivalry currently or if some event pushes it over the edge for others later or if it never becomes one for yet others.

I guess I'm one of those kind of snobby Husker fans that doesn't want to give Iowa or any team any more respect than they earn. IMO, beating our team a few times since we entered the B1G doesn't do it for me. Lots of teams have done that to us. We are at somewhat of a historical low point and they have been on the up tick. I can't give a lot of credit when losses to them really haven't cost us much and victories over them haven't gained us much. I have a fair amount of respect for them as they tend to field tough, hard-nosed teams and typically have good line play. But I also expect to beat Iowa and can't shake the feeling that they should not be considered our equal until we start performing up to a respectable level and THEN they beat us a few times.

I would much rather see Wisconsin or somebody like PSU grow into a natural rivalry for us. Iowa may very well be more of a natural due to geographical location. Wisconsin just feels more natural to me because it sort of seems like Barry Alvarez stole a bottle of Nebraska mojo out of south stadium and began to employ many of the things that used to make Nebraska special, primarily dominate line play and a typically good rushing attack. Not to mention also having almost identical uniforms. It seems like it should be a situation of competing for who is the real big red. Unfortunately, we have not begun to defend our claim and I'm sure they view us as just another easy win. I think that one could turn quicker if we ever start playing football again and have a couple barn burners with them that starts costing either one of us some conference crowns. Anyway, that's how I feel about it. Opinions will vary.

• Fire 2

If this years game is say a 10 win team vs an 11 win team showdown to decide the Division Champion and the game is an absolute barn burner, will THAT be enough to push this over the edge towards "Rivalry" status?

knapplc's response is pretty spot on. I say your hypothetical is a step in the right direction.

One game of prominence does not a rivalry make, anymore than subjugating us to a trophy makes it a rivalry game.

And....to say Iowa and Nebraska don't have a long standing history is not really accurate. Prior to joining the Big Ten, we had already played 41 times. There were long periods where we played each other every year and at least one year where we played twice.

I don't even consider the history. I just think more than any other team on our schedule Iowa and Nebraska fans have been exchanging smack for like forever. Seems like lots of people on here talk about 'that co worker', neighbor or even relative they have who's an Iowa fan too.

Who would you rather lose to. Wiscy or Iowa? Wiscy I can understand. For me Iowa is a much harder pill to swallow.

One thing too. We don't play Oklahoma anymore obv and looking back even that rivalry lost some traction at the end.

• Fire 1

Who would you rather lose to. Wiscy or Iowa?

Without question Iowa. Wisconsin has been to the Conference Championship four times, Iowa once. Especially in this iteration of the B1G, beat Wisconsin and you've got the "in" to the championship game.

To me people probably expect us to lose to a team like Wisconsin. Iowa though? Well I'd at least hope that people would mostly expect us to beat them which is just one reason why I dislike losing to them moreseo than say a team like Wiscy or a Penn State.

A loss to Iowa looks....worse.

Nebraska really hasn't had a true 'rival' since the Big 12 days. Honestly for me personally I can't say that right now it's something I spend much time thinking about as fun as it is to have one. I'd just like us to get back to being in the hunt for conference titles if even on a semi regular basis. I won't even talk national titles as conference titles should be our first step of things to focus on and trying to get near. Obv we're not there.

Again I say the closest thing we have to a rivalry where fans of both schools semi go back and forth with one another moreso than with other schools is Iowa even if it doesn't have huge implications.

Iowa Nebraska is not a rivalry. Iowa and Nebraska are more like brothers. Iowa is the hard working little hard luck brother, whom you know you can beat down when you're at your best. But other than that, you don't really feel the smack coming from them.

Now WISCONSIN, stealing the Big Red moniker, running us over, and total disrespect, THAT could be a rivalry. But we have to win one first.

I nowhere near an Iowa apologist and I've been critical of how good they actually are for a long time.

But those wanting to characterize Iowa as any sort of a lesser team are being willfully ignorant of the actual results on the field for basically as long as any of the current players have been alive.

• Fire 2

Iowa Nebraska is not a rivalry. Iowa and Nebraska are more like brothers. Iowa is the hard working little hard luck brother, whom you know you can beat down when you're at your best. But other than that, you don't really feel the smack coming from them.

Now WISCONSIN, stealing the Big Red moniker, running us over, and total disrespect, THAT could be a rivalry. But we have to win one first.

have you ever heard of the phrase "sibling rivalry" y/n