Fox Sports 1 ad features a heavy dose of Nebraska

knapplc

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Not a good look for Nebraska to request the limitations on cornfields. Without university statement and at the surface, it comes off like an issue of insecurity than legitimate gripe. However, I can understand the desire to request ads featuring more about Nebraska and not just cornfields. 

Being an Omaha born and PNW raised, the ads play into all the dumb stereotypes I heard growing up as a Husker fan. 

BS...it does no such thing.

• Plus1 1

Meh.  I thought the only really offensive part was "when you're in a cornfield, everything looks the same for miles and miles...."

Makes me think of the "flyover state" stereotype.

Other than that, it was a pretty badass commercial.  "this is where the sacrifices are made" as an analogy to Nebraska "killing" teams that come into Memorial Stadium.  Just a little harmless fun.  I like the imagery of the red balloons coming out of the corn, too.  A nice touch.

God forbid someone takes a little creative license in promoting the team in a non-vanilla way.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I know there will be a bunch of hot takes on how Nebraska shouldn't be asking Fox to stop running this, but it's a smart move from a marketing standpoint. All this ad does is reinforce stupid stereotypes about Nebraska, and it has nothing to do with what we want to be.  It's smart to control your brand. 

Disagree with your take, especially the bold. The ad's "cool" factor out-weighs a minority that will attach an unintended spin. UNL's over-reaction is unfortunately becoming the norm for brands.

I was about to call out the AD for a stupid move, assuming it was in relation to the generic cfb commercial, but then I saw the Nebraska specific one and I don't mind the decision.

It's not even about stereotypes. It's just that the commercial is stupid and doesn't make sense. They're trying to play off the children of the corn movie, but it doesn't actually work and the writing for it is poor.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

I was about to call out the AD for a stupid move, assuming it was in relation to the generic cfb commercial, but then I saw the Nebraska specific one and I don't mind the decision.

It's not even about stereotypes. It's just that the commercial is stupid and doesn't make sense. They're trying to play off the children of the corn movie, but it doesn't actually work and the writing for it is poor.

A movie that is over 30 years old and no one has seen. I thought it was creative but a Stephen King book has nothing to do with the Huskers brand.

5 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Disagree with your take, especially the bold. The ad's "cool" factor out-weighs a minority that will attach an unintended spin. UNL's over-reaction is unfortunately becoming the norm for brands.

I double-checked with me and I still agree with my take, so that's two against one in my favor now. Sorry!

• Plus1 1

It is clever and easy...they should not only embrace it but they should make love to it and see if they can/have trademark it...I have seen it on shirts before.

It is badass and fun.  Movie/Book, who cares, but "Children of the CorN" is sweet and something so easy to embrace if you live in this state.

• Plus1 2