What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

Sorry if any of the following has been mentioned already but I'm really too lazy to read 4 pages to take account of what has been brought up.  Here are my observations

This is the first time in 8 years we don't have a converted DB playing QB and it shows.  Lee is as good as it gets.  A few more games behind him and his timing with the receivers will be even better.  WR's left some catches out on the field Saturday night.

The OL played about as good as it has in a long time.  The RB went for almost 200.  Lee took some shots but in game one, I would say I was happy with the overall performance.  Having said that, Farmer and Knevel should be on thin ice.  Farmer whiffed a couple of times getting to the next level to block a LB coming in and Farniok was pretty good subbing for Knevel when he went out with the injury.

Defensively, the front 3 did what they were supposed to do.  They took on 5 OL.  Can't ask much more of them with the defense that was called.  And it showed with the low number of rushing yards allowed.

Newby and Young are absolute crap in pass defense.  As in they are a liability.  If ASU's QB wasn't throwing to the sideline, the WR was slanting right behind either of those 2 and moving the chains

Lee didn't look good at all at CB.  I would also say that help to his side was very slow to arrive.  I'll chalk it up to game inexperience and see how he responds in the next game.

Punting was good.  Nice to Lightbourn bounce back after last season

The PR TD given up was a fluke.  I'm not worried about that being a thing.  Until it is.  But overall ST was good.  Still can't get DPE loose on PR, though.  Need to figure something out.

• Plus1 3
49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Actually I prefer to be one of the last people to leave at these sorts of events.   It's just not any of my business how others choose to spend their Saturday night.  Nor is it yours. 

When fans want to call themselves the greatest fans in the nation actually it is.  When the fans want to yell at people to sit down but then stand in the aisle to leave early it is.  When the team needs the noise at the end but only half the stadium is full it is.  It is my  buisness when it directly affects my enjoyment of the event.  It is when we are trying to even become relevant again.  If I was a recruit I would have thougt it was a joke.

14 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

When fans want to call themselves the greatest fans in the nation actually it is.  When the fans want to yell at people to sit down but then stand in the aisle to leave early it is.  When the team needs the noise at the end but only half the stadium is full it is.  It is my  buisness when it directly affects my enjoyment of the event.  It is when we are trying to even become relevant again.  If I was a recruit I would have thougt it was a joke.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The game lasted 4 f'ing hours.  My grandfather is 90 years old and has been going to games since the 40's.  If he wants to leave "early" he has every right to without someone being an a-hole about it and questioning his fandom.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The game lasted 4 f'ing hours.  My grandfather is 90 years old and has been going to games since the 40's.  If he wants to leave "early" he has every right to without someone being an a-hole about it and questioning his fandom.

I am not questioning people like your grandfather (phyical limitations, small children, ect, if in some way you wanted to take it as that, you can do as you please.  It usually the people toward that age that stay the entire game.  I am referring to fans in the younger generation that are more worried about getting that next beer then watching the game, why did you even come?  And it is ridiculous that during a 3rd down the bench is trying to get the crowd loud, and all they see are people leaving.  You know they see this correct?  You know recruits see this correct?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, KingBlank said:

I am not questioning people like your grandfather (phyical limitations, small children, ect, if in some way you wanted to take it as that, you can do as you please.  It usually the people toward that age that stay the entire game.  I am referring to fans in the younger generation that are more worried about getting that next beer then watching the game, why did you even come?  And it is ridiculous that during a 3rd down the bench is trying to get the crowd loud, and all they see are people leaving.  You know they see this correct?  You know recruits see this correct?

I didn't say my grandfather had physical limitations.  I said he'd been going to games for 70 years and if he wants to leave early during a 4 hour game, it's his right.

Just get off your high horse.

1.  We were a safety and a bobbled non-catch in the end zone by the ASU receiver from being defeated by a Sun Belt team.

2. Lee has the potential of being our best throwing QB since Ganz in my opinion.  We'll see how it plays out against better D of the Big 10 and if our OL holds up..

3. The D reporting and coach speak was all :koolaid2:

4.  If we don't improve on D -  5-7 record and bring on Scott Frost (Ok - had to mention that to get the Frost sighting rumors started):o

5.  DPE looked back to form based on the called back TD but was under utilized much of the game.

6. Nice to see the TE being used - one for good blocking and one for pass catching

7. Where was our fullback on that 'too long to develop' play in the end zone that resulted in a safety.  It would have been nice to see him pick up that blitzing safety that was dreadfully missed by the OL.  That play in the end zone had me baffled - I could have cut all of  my toe nails by the time Bryan got close to the line of scrimmage.   Blame that on Langs and the missed OL block.

8. Did I say the D looked terrible

9. OL a bit better than last year but again refer to # 1 - this was a Sun Belt Conf team.

10. MR almost pulled off a Bo when he tried to throw his head set to the ground - unfortunately the wires got wrapped around him..  He showed some emotion for once - maybe he knows this is a 'do or your gone' year and his D didn't look the part.  Maybe he realized that his great hire of new DC may not have been as great as he thought.  

11.  When you scrimmage against yourself the D looks better.  Thus the hype. This says 2 things - the O isn't as good if the D looked great in practice and  second - real games tell the real story - and did I say the D looked terrible??

12  Trying to put pressure on the QB with 3 guys without a solid, active blitz package should be criminal - you are hanging the CB and safety out to dry(esp since the LBs looked flat footed all night except one)

• Plus1 4