DPE punt returns

56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We were absolutely terrible that one year.  Other than that, we were pretty decent.

But what we're seeing this year looks exactly like that one year.  And I think it's been similar to this for three years now.

pretty decent = Abosolutely  almost terrible = MR seasons.  When is the last time someone faked one against us?

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Year - National Rank Punt Return Yards

2008 - 21st

2009 - 5th

2010 - 28th

2011 - 72nd

2012 - 38th

2013 - 112th

2014 - 1st

2015 - 90th

2016 - 60th

Pretty mixed bag there through the Pelini Era and into the Riley era.  DPE's Freshman year we were amazing, we were good in 2008 & 2009 with Niles Paul, but we've been in the bottom half of punt returns four out of nine years, including both Riley years.

Are these total yards or average yards?

If it's average, it doesn't account for fair catches.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Look at the formation they punted out of on that play, though. Seems like a very difficult thing to try and counter when compared to the more traditional punt formations you see in the pros.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.58.24 AM.png

Valid point.

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

Not as thin as if they'd allowed Oregon a first down on a fake punt, something they've been known to do.

Oregon's punt situations:

4th and 3 from Nebraska 45 (fair caught at 5)

4th and 9 from Nebraska 43 (kicked into endzone)

4th and 6 from Oregon 29 (fair catch interference penalty)

4th and 6 from Oregon 43  (pooch 27 yards downed by Oregon)

4th and 14 from Oregon 21 (good blocking, returnable punt)

I was talking about the Arkansas State picture. I think I even quoted it.

7 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Seems to me it goes back to when BP was coach, as the last time we really tried to block for and setup punt returns.  Drives me freaking crazy.  

Me too. One thing about Pelini was when he took over part of the team it did well (which is why I always say I think he's a good coach, just not head coach). It has annoyed me since Riley started that we didn't set up the return. The excuse last year was we were worried about fake punts.

24 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

No way, we were told and sold our special teams would be better with the new special teams hire. We were told and sold DPE was healthy and going to be amazing again. I am shocked neither has turned out to be true so far.

If our defense could get some three and outs and forced teams to punt more than 30 yards, we might actually get some opportunities. I think our defense is the main reason our punt return hasn't appeared to improve as much as we thought.

• Plus1 1

Sadly, nothing from the spring/fall hype fest has come to fruition.  It's early and we still have 10 regular season games to play.  I'm baffled in that it again appears that punt returns team is to simply field the ball and fair catch.  Kind of like Santino Panico.  Just catch the ball.  That year he had 22 returns for a whopping 68 yards.  We need to put the special back in special teams....  Also read that Diaco is making it so exciting, even starters were trying to get on the special teams.....

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Me too. One thing about Pelini was when he took over part of the team it did well (which is why I always say I think he's a good coach, just not head coach). It has annoyed me since Riley started that we didn't set up the return. The excuse last year was we were worried about fake punts.

The year he took over special teams was the year we were number one in returns.  I agree about him being a good coach just not a good HC.  

I wonder if the excuse Is the same this year? Does anyone know if this was an issue under Riley at OSU?

I'd like to believe the lack of return is from the defense putting us in poor field position but in year 3 of what is basically more of the same, I'm not buyin it.  

5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

The year he took over special teams was the year we were number one in returns.  I agree about him being a good coach just not a good HC.  

I wonder if the excuse Is the same this year? Does anyone know if this was an issue under Riley at OSU?

I'd like to believe the lack of return is from the defense putting us in poor field position but in year 3 of what is basically more of the same, I'm not buyin it.  

This is not just related to special teams, this is related to the program as whole. I'm baffled in year 3 we are still considered in the rebuild phase. I get that Pelini didn't leave a ton of talent behind or depth, but for goodness sake, coaches have done more in littler time at lesser programs.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This isn't really directed at you but your post is a good jumping off point for my question - I wonder what's the best way to handle all the unique punt formations/styles we see today? I referenced this in one of my above posts. The punt formation Nebraska had to defend against ASU was odd and very spread out. Nebraska countered by running what looked more like a prevent defense with three down linemen. It wasn't that long ago that the vast majority of teams had similar special teams. Now, there are rugby style kickers and all these outlandish styles.

Perhaps punt return teams are too passive? Maybe they should line up in a full on rush-the-punter formation instead of matching what the punt kick team is doing. Maybe that forces the punt team to bring guys in to protect the kicker and the in turn lets the return team better set up for a return. I'm not sure what the answer is.

12 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

No way, we were told and sold our special teams would be better with the new special teams hire. We were told and sold DPE was healthy and going to be amazing again. I am shocked neither has turned out to be true so far.

Hard to be amazing when 8 of the 11 members of the opposition are not even touched at los..  one time it looked like we designated 3 guys to  block the punter... yes you read that right, not the punt but the punter