What did we learn-Game 3 NIU

JJ Husker

1. There are a handful of starters I believe are good players: Bryant, Morgan, Stoltenberg, Gifford, and Kalu. Kalu and Bryant were injured today. Stoltenberg and Gifford had poor performances today. This makes one good performance from our best players (Morgan). Not sure if Stoltenberg and Gifford were two of the flu victims, but.... That's... not good returns from the cream of your crop.

2. They face issues because of Diaco's overall defensive scheme, but I really like Mike P's job with the defensive line. 

3. I'm disappointed by Lee as I bought a lot of his stok, yet I want him to stay as the starter. I don't believe POB is a good option though, from what we've seen of him in spring practices and how he's supposedly regressed since then. I've bought a lot of Gebbia stock, but he's just a skinny freshman.

4. Mikale Wilbon is a HB favorite, but not a great player. He was never in a doghouse. He just has horrible ball security and horrible pass blocking ability. He does have good ability and surprising strength, but everything considered he's not a strength to our team. Would honestly (much) rather Oz than him. 

5. Antonio Reed, not sure if he's going to be a good starter or not when his time comes as there are areas where he needs to improve (I mean a lot), but he sure does seem intimidating. Definitely looks the part of an NFL player.

6. I was licking my chops at the thought of Diaco's D versus a (more) traditional run based team, as opposed to the offenses of AkSt and Oregon. We've seemed very stout versus interior runs, so much so that I felt we could actually have good matchups for B1G offenses. All in all, the defense did pretty well today (probably more due to NIU's bad offense) like I had hoped... just surprising that our weakest performance was against those same interior runs.

7. Since I started watching Husker football in 2005, this was the worst performance I've ever seen. We have had bigger beat downs due to facing better opponents, but today's performance was the worst showing of execution and coaching I've seen from the Huskers.

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I didn't learn anything other than I might be the only person who sees what we have in Stanley Morgan Jr.  Dude is an animal.  He would probably start on several NFL teams right now.

He's had some drops over the last two games that have really hurt drives. But he's a good player.

It's not surprising that Lee looks for him so often.

Hoppes had a couple drops that hurt drives, also. 

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

If NIU and Ark State played, who would win?  

AkSt. NIU was lucky to get this extremely unmotivated Husker squad that was infected with the flu. They were lucky to have their pick sixes (they required skill, but they were lucky for the opportunities because their offense was straight bad and not scoring more than once or twice). AkSt was legitimately a better team than us the night we played... and I felt like we played as well as we could have (aside from stubborn defensive schemes).

• Plus1 1

Just now, The Dude said:

Uhh, yeah.

Jets 

49ers

Browns

Rams 

He would almost certainly start for any of these teams.

There's several more he'd definitely be in the race for.

Easy to say, but the "no names" those teams have at WR had good-great college careers just like Morgan has... and they've only had time to improve since. 49rs have Pierre Garçon and Marquise Goodwin; Garcon is understandably way better than Morgan at this point, Goodwin had just as lustrous of a college career as Morgan.  Browns have Corey Coleman who blows Morgan away and off the top of my head don't know who their other guy is. Rams have Kupp whose already a very good slot guy, and Woods+Austin on the outside who would both definitely start over Morgan. Jets? RIP Enunwa's neck... maybe he'd start there.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, C-4 said:

AkSt. NIU was lucky to get this extremely unmotivated Husker squad that was infected with the flu. They were lucky to have their pick sixes (they required skill, but they were lucky for the opportunities because their offense was straight bad and not scoring more than once or twice). AkSt was legitimately a better team than us the night we played... and I felt like we played as well as we could have (aside from stubborn defensive schemes).

That's true.  The first pick was a terrible play call.  The 2nd was all him.  I don't remember the 3rd. 

A long season ahead that is for sure.   The really hard part is that often times there are glaring issues that, if the coaches and players make changes, can maybe be fixed.  I am not sure there are whole lot of things that can be done with this team to make dramatic improvements.    For example, how on Earth will they make this O line better?   It appears they were mostly man handled by Northern Illinois.  While NIU might not be the worst team by any means, they will not be better than the great bulk of the Big Ten we are about to face.

Our RBs are not going to suddenly become 'great'.  Our WRs are playing about as well as they can play.  They may be good enough to win most of our games but I am afraid we won't get the ball enough to make a go of it.  

Our kicking game is better and we can improve punt returns by letting Spiehlman or Stanley or somebody else give it a try.  DPE is just lacking confidence or something.  We know he is one of the best in the country when his mind is right but apparently it is not.

Defensively, things are in limbo.  Maybe they will gel but don't expect it.  Injuries and confusion abound.