What did we learn-Game 3 NIU

JJ Husker

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

It is VERY fortunate for the current head coaches of both the football and basketball programs that the offseason is twice as long as the playing season.

People have twice as long to convince themselves that things will be better this year than they do to be disappointed that they aren't.

Amen...

Go back 3 years...make a list of coaches you would want to hire...stop when you get to Riley and tell me what # he was.

I would have run out of paper before I wrote him down.

• Plus1 1

I read on some recruiting guru's website that once you get past the Top 15 ratings for recruiting its a crap shoot.  In other words its easy to miss on some players either because they are overrated, or they are just complete busts.  How many teams rated over 15 ever win the National title in this day and age?

29th or 90th, its all a matter of a few stars.  It also shows that you can take a bunch of 3 star players and coach them up.  Something that hasn't been done here for 20 years.  Coaching up players.....interesting concept!

2 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I never understood any optimism for MR

I was optimistic because I didn't know all the facts about him and his tenure at Oregon.  I was optimistic because Bo had done a terrible job and it had gotten to the point where he was incapable of improvement on a personal level.  I was optimistic because I just wanted to believe that it was a positive change.  I was wrong.  Very wrong.  But my opinion doesn't matter.  I'm not an AD or a Trustee.  

33 minutes ago, unlfan said:

I think we all learned, officially, that Mike Riley's tenure is effectively over and it's just a matter of "when".

Many of us knew this from Day 1, but now it's clear to all and undeniable.

That's the problem.  When?  I've got the feeling we're going to have to suffer through a few more of these games before the people who make the decisions finally decide to act and actually do something about this.  Really, there's only one choice here, but when this choice gets made could be a long way off.  I can't imagine seeing Mike Riley on the sideline in 2018 but we're dealing with people who don't always make the best choices.  

The other thing we've learned is that perhaps the fan base doesn't care nearly as much about how nice the coach is as much as they care about wins and not having home games against MAC teams where we sh*t the bed.  Maybe a coach who is a foul-mouthed, arrogant, aloof, mean-spirited, and dishonest but who still wins is better somehow?  

In recent years, we've seen NCAA coaches do things that seemed just plain wrong and counter to all morality subscribe to, yet they win.  I'm beginning to think morality is less important than winning, which sends the wrong message to everybody.  The NU program has been built upon integrity.  Whether or not that is the truth, it's certainly the perception, and having a coach who is outright slimey works against that tradition.  Is that better as long as they win?  I'm not sure I'm ready to say that's a good trade-off.  I'm leaning that way, though.  

2 hours ago, Terrabus said:

Maybe a coach who is a foul-mouthed, arrogant, aloof, mean-spirited, and dishonest but who still wins is better somehow? 

I doubt you'll ever convince Eichorst of that. The result stands before you.

But hey, at least we don't have a problem with SE's 'energy vampires' sucking the life out of the program anymore. Now our problem is sucking, period! :facepalm:

Finally was able to watch the game, which was depressing knowing what the outcome would be.

1) Having Les Miles call a game where his son was involved in was a very bad idea. Uncomfortable the way he was openly rooting for Nebraska.

2) Year 3 and this is what Cav puts out there as an offensive line? Yikes.

3) Been told since Riley started to just wait until he has his style of QB in place so he can run his offense. Well I hate what I see from this offense. Absolutely no physicality to it. The fact we can't line up and run it down Northern Illinois' throat is embarrassing. 3.8 yards a carry? Come on. I can't even put a finger at what this offense does well because right now it seems to be nothing. 

4) Riley has to go. I'm not even giving a miracle run at the Big 10 Championship a snowballs chance in hell, this guy is just a straight up bad head coach. I really wanted him to work out, not because I like Riley but because I want Nebraska football to get back. I know people say that Nebraska will never be what it once was, but there's no real reason why we can't have the same success that Wisconsin has had over the years. Get back to running the football, and imposing your will on the other team. Something that will NEVER happen under a Mike Riley coached team. Riley has to go, Eichorst has to go. 

4 hours ago, Toe said:

Finally, someone besides a lot of us fans comes out and says it.  Here is my thinking...

1.  SE HONESTLY felt that any coach could win 9 games at NU

2.  He hated Bo because Bo made his life more difficult and because SE thinks some people are Energy Vampires (which basically means SE should never have been hired in the first place...bad management 101 is taking someone's lame catch phrases and using them)

3.  SE knew he could fire Bo and replace him with someone that would be super easy to work with and would still win at least 9 games.

4.  SE figured Riley was so nice and well respected that he could win at least 9 games a year and SE wouldn't have to worry about anything.

• Plus1 3

Also doesn't help that Eichorst had largely made up his mind about who he wanted a decade earlier. (Eichorst wanted Riley when he was senior associate AD at South Carolina, when they ultimately hired Spurrier.)

9 minutes ago, Toe said:

Also doesn't help that Eichorst had largely made up his mind about who he wanted a decade earlier. (Eichorst wanted Riley when he was senior associate AD at South Carolina, when they ultimately hired Spurrier.)

Which brings his decision making ability into question even more.  Who in the hell would want Riley over Spurrier in the SEC?

• Plus1 1

Bo Pelini is not arrogant or dishonest. You can call him a foul-mouthed hothead who stands behind his guys, but not arrogant or dishonest. Those terms are more suited to others involved with the program.....who shall remain nameless.
Too bad foulmouthed Charlie didn't become the coach after Tom retired.

29 minutes ago, Toe said:

This is the part that should have stuck out like a sore ass thumb.  "Hey guys, instead of Spurrier I think we should hire Mike Riley"

Ummmm...Sean, why don't you go and get some donuts or something.

• Plus1 2