***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

3 hours ago, sho said:

There's are some rumors that a decision has been made based on a listen of the Carriker Chronicles.  One with DR made it sound like a person was hired, and made it sound like it was a former Husker not named TA.   I'm listening to it now to see if get the same vibe from it.

Ed Stewart is the rumor, but I have no insight of my own.

One candidate multiple industry insiders have pointed to as a target with interest from Nebraska is Ole Miss athletics director Ross Bjork, who grew up and went to college nearby in Kansas and is one of the superstar fundraisers in the business. 

Were it not for his current program going through a lengthy NCAA enforcement process that uncovered 21 alleged football violations, 15 of which were of the most serious Level 1 variety, and a lack of institutional control charge, he would be a slam dunk for the job. 

Bjork, however, didn’t hire Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, and it’s widely known that the support to keep Freeze until his phone records revealed phone calls to sexually suggestive businesses came from above Bjork’s head. He remains highly respected in the industry and understands the public relations side of the job, completely opposite of the way Eichorst operated. 

Interestingly enough, Turnkey Search firm has been hired to handle both the Nebraska athletics director opening and the Ole Miss football coaching job. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/10/05/barry-odom-missouri-needs-to-show-improvement/735883001/

@ everyone 

Bjork is an interesting name for sure.  Not sure how his name will go over with the holier than thou sect.  I'm all for buying undervalued and distressed assets and Bjork certainly falls into that category.  That being said, if he's a serious candidate that search firm better vet him to an inch of his life.  We're talking about going through garbage, etc lol.

Bjork is a failure hire.  Bounds buddy from Ole Miss.  This has no absolute value.  This guy to my knowledge has never hired a P5 football coach.  How could this excite anyone?  I would rather see them take a chance on the guy from TCU than this person.  Not crazy about the guy from TCU, but at least his football team isn't under investigation.  Doesn't matter to me if the AD is involved, he is the head of the athletic department and should be aware of all dealings and misconduct.  Thats his job.

The only reason this has people attention is that fact that he is at an SEC program and had some success lately with a corrupt football coach and staff.

I am being opened minded, but regardless if the next guy has NEB ties or not, they should at least have a track record of hiring football coaches at some capacity in the P5.  IF they can't find that AD, then go with in the family and hire someone.  I here both sides of the conversation about this .  We don't need a Nebraskan graduate to come in, we need a P5 guy who is already having success.   I agree.  DUH, if you having success at another P5 program, why would you come here right now?  Football is down, mens and womans basketball is in a heap, and our best sport is volleyball a real revenue maker there!  Next conversation-  We need to hire someone that knows this program, the state and what it takes to succeed at NEB.  I agree and disagree.  But I do think in the long run, if were settling for a lack luster hire from another school or unproven record of hiring, then yes we should go homerville.