***Nebraska Athletic Director Search Megathread***

Enhance

I've now heard from two unrelated and relatively 'in the know' people that Del Conte is their primary target. Both of these people might be swimming in the same rumor pool FWIW.

As for Del Conte's tweet, and if you're being technical, the question posed to him was if there was truth that he was going to be Nebraska's new AD and he said no. The question was not if he was under consideration, if he'd been contacted, if he would want the job, etc.

Either way, it's incredibly common for people to flat out lie about that kind of stuff these days.

Nebraska: There is chatter circulating that Nebraska has been kicking the tires on TCU AD Chris Del Conte. However, sources tell FootballScoop Del Conte is not expected to leave Fort Worth for Lincoln. We have been hearing of multiple sitting athletic directors, including in the SEC, who have signaled their interest in the position. Ole Miss AD Ross Bjork has publicly stated he is not a candidate. Will update as more is clear

Let's take a look around the SEC to see who that might be.  Arkansas Jeff Long seems like a darkhorse to me.  Or the guy at Mizzou because that school is a sinking ship?  Byrne would be a home run.  Currie at UT would make sense b/c he was at KSU,  but he just started at UT.

Alabama - Greg Byrne - Connection being Bill's son.  But just took over at Bama a year ago.  Does he want the pressure of being the guy to hire Saban's replacement?

Arkansas - Jeff Long - Been at Arky 10 years.  Replaced Pedey at Pitt when Pedey took NU job.  Hired/fired Petrino.  Former CFB Playoff chair.  May want to leave get get away from Bert's $15M buyout?

Auburn - Jay Jacobs - Currently in deep doo doo with some bad stuff in non-rev sports

Florida - Scott Strickin - Just took over UF last year.  Don't think he would be a candidate

Georgia - Greg McGarity - Been at UGA since 2010.  Fired Richt, hired Smart.  Was at UGA long time before being hire.  Don't see it.

Kentucky - Mitch Barnhart - Been at UK 15 years, before that Oregon St (eek!).  Don't see it, unless UK basketball crap to hit the fan w/ the FBI scandal.

LSU - Joe Alleva - Been at LSU 10 years, prior at Duke.  Might be on his way out for handling of Miles situation plus giving Orgeron a $12M buyout.

Mississippi - Ross Bjork - Says he's "not a candidate".  Tons of NCAA issues right now.

Mississippi St - John Cohen - Been at Miss St 1 year, prior was Miss St baseball coach.  Don't see it.

Missouri - Jim Sterk - Been at Mizzou 1 year, prior at SDSU.  School is a mess and FB program is down.  Didn't hire Odom.

South Carolina - Ray Tanner - Been AD for 5 years, prior to that was SC baseball coach for 15 years.  Don't see it.

Tennessee - John Currie - Been at Tenn 6 mos, prior at K St where he modernized their facilities.  Would be guy to ax Butch.  Would probably be a good fit, but doubt he leaves after 6 mos? 

Texas A&M - Scott Woodward - Been at A&M 1.5 years, prior at Washington.  Called out Sumlin this summer

Vandy - David Williams - Been at Vandy 15 years.  Vandy doesn't have a true AD.  Don't see it.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Georgia - Greg McGarity - Been at UGA since 2010.  Fired Richt, hired Smart.

Finally, an AD that would understand Nebraska traditions! Namely our tradition of firing 9-3 head coaches...

• Plus1 3

Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

Byrne would be great, he did well at Arizona. Other then Byrne the only other guy on that SEC list that I'd like is McGarity.

For whatever reason I think Trev Alberts ends up getting the job.

Do you follow recent news at all?  Trev announced last week that he's staying at Nebraska-Omaha and isn't a candidate for the NU job.  Now, yes, I guess it technically could still happen, but it's probably about a 1% chance.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do you follow recent news at all?  Trev announced last week that he's staying at Nebraska-Omaha and isn't a candidate for the NU job.  Now, yes, I guess it technically could still happen, but it's probably about a 1% chance.

Yeah I know what he said, I still think in a months time it comes back to him and he takes the job.

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Also, I am starting to get a feel that this AD search is turning into the Pedey Bill Callahan coaching search.

It's only been 3 weeks since Eichorst was fired.  If the hire is done any time before Thanksgiving, it's been a quick hire.  Hiring an AD is a lot more time consuming and can be "more difficult" than hiring a head coach.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's only been 3 weeks since Eichorst was fired.  If the hire is done any time before Thanksgiving, it's been a quick hire.  Hiring an AD is a lot more time consuming and can be "more difficult" than hiring a head coach.

You may be right, I guess I am comparing it to a coaching search to where 3 weeks is an eternity. Hopefully we do have an AD by mid November though since that will be the time coaches start to move.

from another post i made:

Here are some recent AD departures in the B1G and how long it took to hire a full time replacement

Michigan - Fired Brandon 10/2014, hired Manuel 1/2016

Minnesota - Resigned/Fired Teague 8/2015, hired Coyle 5/2016

Illinois - Fired Thomas 11/2015, hired Whitman 2/2016

Outlier -> Rutgers - Fired Herman and hired Hobbs 11/2015

32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

from another post i made:

Here are some recent AD departures in the B1G and how long it took to hire a full time replacement

Michigan - Fired Brandon 10/2014, hired Manuel 1/2016

Minnesota - Resigned/Fired Teague 8/2015, hired Coyle 5/2016

Illinois - Fired Thomas 11/2015, hired Whitman 2/2016

Outlier -> Rutgers - Fired Herman and hired Hobbs 11/2015

True most searches do take a bit longer for the AD position.  That said, giving DR only a 60 day contract, expedites the process in many people's eye.  I don't foresee us going from a temp AD to a second temp AD and I don't envision we will be without someone in that role either.  So the pressure is on Green et al to find someone within 60 days.

The 60 day window ends Thanksgiving weekend. I doubt that was accidental - they probably want to have somebody in place before the end of the regular season. Might be an interesting interview, though. "If we hire you as AD, what's your first week in office look like?" "Uhh... I fire the football coach?"

3 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Also, I am starting to get a feel that this AD search is turning into the Pedey Bill Callahan coaching search.

It's been open for, what, 2 and a half weeks? AD searches take time, especially when you hire one of the best search firms in the country. 

Patience, grasshopper. 

EDIT: It seems I Bo Ruud'd this one.