Is Mike Riley married to Tanner Lee

Huskerfan55

Ok the QB should be one of the most competitive people on your team.  Coaches should not be worried about his confidence.  I started on a pretty good defense in college. My DB coach came to me one day after practice and told me I was the weak link on defense and if I didn't have a good week of practice and improve my play he was going to sit me.  I was a two year starter and coming off a mcl sprain.  Was my confidence shaken maybe a little until the next day when practice started.  That was pretty harsh but I don't see how pulling a guy for playing super s#!tty for a series or two is gonna shake his confidence.  If he has any competitive fire he would be fine.  Maybe they should tell him his job is on the line if he doesn't come out on Friday and ball out 

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Ok the QB should be one of the most competitive people on your team.  Coaches should not be worried about his confidence.  I started on a pretty good defense in college. My DB coach came to me one day after practice and told me I was the weak link on defense and if I didn't have a good week of practice and improve my play he was going to sit me.  I was a two year starter and coming off a mcl sprain.  Was my confidence shaken maybe a little until the next day when practice started.  That was pretty harsh but I don't see how pulling a guy for playing super s#!tty for a series or two is gonna shake his confidence.  If he has any competitive fire he would be fine.  Maybe they should tell him his job is on the line if he doesn't come out on Friday and ball out 

Great post. 

Confidence is indeed important. You're going to make mistakes, you're going to throw picks. It's how you come back from that and learn from that where it matters.

As we can all see, that learning step is not happening. 

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Great post. 

Confidence is indeed important. You're going to make mistakes, you're going to throw picks. It's how you come back from that and learn from that where it matters.

As we can all see, that learning step is not happening. 

I'm sure people are familiar with the term practice all-american.  I think that is what Lee is.  I had high hopes for him but for whatever reason it isn't translating to games.  Maybe POB doesn't practice well but is a gamer.  Some people just play better once the lights are on and fans are in the stands.  

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm sure people are familiar with the term practice all-american.  I think that is what Lee is.  I had high hopes for him but for whatever reason it isn't translating to games.  Maybe POB doesn't practice well but is a gamer.  Some people just play better once the lights are on and fans are in the stands.  

I'm not sure what Lee is. He's got some of the mechanics down but is almost missing others. His drops are pretty good, but his feet don't stay alive once he hits his spot. I actually disagree with a lot of people in that I think his reads are ok at this level. Where I think he has a problem is in keeping plays alive long enough for his receivers to help him.

I also wonder what he may do with more routes in play, especially concepts that have a better deep to shallow progression sequence . That's not a cure, his footwork and awareness are still a problem, but I think the play structure can better help him than it currently does.

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

I'm not sure what Lee is. He's got some of the mechanics down but is almost missing others. His drops are pretty good, but his feet don't stay alive once he hits his spot. I actually disagree with a lot of people in that I think his reads are ok at this level. Where I think he has a problem is in keeping plays alive long enough for his receivers to help him.

I also wonder what he may do with more routes in play, especially concepts that have a better deep to shallow progression sequence . That's not a cure, his footwork and awareness are still a problem, but I think the play structure can better help him than it currently does.

I'm not happy with our routes.  Although I was happy to see a couple rub routes but we got called for PI on one of them.  There have been more than oone occasion when we have two rec running routes and they end up very close to each other.  That only helps the defense.  I don't know if it's the play or the rec not knowing where he is supposed to be 

Historically, we'd get plenty of mop up duty for our back QBs and the thirds and fourths in the blow out wins and in the pre-conference 'gimmes' that we usually had atleast two of each fall.  But as we let our recruiting slide, we no longer had this luxury and winning now became our primary focus each season.  Gradually, this became critical as the wins became harder and the 'easy' wins became fourth quarter struggles.  Now, we really have no 'automatic' wins and it is becoming more of a likely 'automatic' loss situation with the best 5 or so opponents each fall.  I haven't checked and I hope we haven't become anybody else's 'homecoming' game of choice as that is a clear sign we've become what we all fear the most.

The coaches presumably believe (or know) that if we are to win, we will need our very best players playing as much as possible.  Even vs. the weakest on the schedule.   Therefore, it is more likely we will get some game snaps for our back up QB in the second half of the Ohio State and other games where the probability is the game will be over by 5 minutes into the second half.  We can only hope that the opponent has already freeely substituted into their thirds and fourths such that the experience our back ups and young ones get is not completely negative.

At this point, it seems incredible to think or suggest that if we had R. Fyfe on the team, he'd be battling for the starting job as his play was every bit as good (I use that term comparatively) as Lee's.   Ugh.   I am not completely without hope that Lee will miraculously get better and the error rate will drop and the game will slow down and he will settle in and play better.  I don't think we need to worry about his leaving for the NFL early.      

On 9/24/2017 at 10:34 AM, knapplc said:

You mean the one where the Safety stopped covering the wideout AT ALL and blitzed into the backfield to disrupt the play like four straight times?  Yeah, that's a little baffling.

It's like there's nobody in the booth watching that saying, "Maybe if we did play-action on that our WR would be open for a big gain. We should try that." 

This!!! I know we are all arm chair coaches and stuff but really it was obvious the safety was jumping it and we could have burned them so bad with pA off of that play. 

That is of course assuming Lee would not overthrow the uncovered WR by ten yards

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

I think Riley and Co., have to go into the Illinois with a gameplan to have POB get the 3rd series of the game. This can be done by being up front about it and telling Tanner and the rest of the team we need to get our backups experience just like every other position. 

If Lee was not sat for a series after what we saw Sat. I honestly can't imagine the scenario where they would think it appropriate 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

I think Riley and Co., have to go into the Illinois with a gameplan to have POB get the 3rd series of the game. This can be done by being up front about it and telling Tanner and the rest of the team we need to get our backups experience just like every other position. 

Great strategy  - so NU has 2 scoring drives and ILL does the same.  Let's bring in a QB that hasn't played yet - that should turn out well.