Is Mike Riley married to Tanner Lee

Huskerfan55

My takeaway from reading that article is that football is hard. Whoa, defenses use safeties and they can make interceptions!?  Golly gee that just doesn't seem fair. Since Lee has only been in the system 1 1/2 years we shouldn't be surprised that he is struggling. It takes 3-4 years for a QB to effectively run this offense.  Since this season is turning into one to forget we should play Gebbia the rest of the season. With a little patience we can expect a decent season 4 years from now.

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

On the bright side, per-season worries about Lee being Checkdown Charlie were apparently completely unfounded.

Tanner has a number of issues that are limiting him. I've stated that I think the biggest two right now are his lack of awareness and dead feet. That's not a good thing when you have hundreds of pounds of angry people after you.

While these are not the only things, just the furthest from where they need to be, I also feel the plays themselves are putting him into scenarios where it exacerbates his issues.  One thing to watch for is to pause the tape when he hits the bottom of his drop. What are his options? Roll the tape again. Are the routes opening such that he has a good progression? Finally, are the backs and TEs that may have blocking assignments releasing such that they provide good targets as relief valves.

I don't have the time to do the screen caps like you do, but maybe this is something to highlight one of these weeks. I realize TV viewing angles will make this harder and less clear than looking at line play.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Martinez had a much higher completion percentage and, it's insane to think about, I think turned the ball over less.

Agreed.

In his Junior year after he did the quarterback camp in California, I recall that he did an interview at the 50 yard line in Memorial that got put out on Sports Illustrated or some site. He stated that his goal that year was a 70% completion percentage. He really had a ton of heart and worked extremely hard to improve. 

He wound up throwing for 62% that season. My guess is that Tanner Lee will not reach that number, even as a combined total if he were to start every game for the rest of this season and next season.

But obviously, I really, REALLY hope I'm wrong about that. But when a QB can't read the defense by their Junior year, that usually doesn't get coached out of a guy. That's my main concern.

16 hours ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

Not all, not all, but enough that it really hurt the team. Let me cite an example--DEP virtually disappeared from the team last season. What happened to that spectacular talent we saw when he first arrived? He's getting back into things this year, but he almost looks like he took a year off. Ditto with Ozigbo, several linemen, several defensive players. Now we have to play freshman and soph receivers just to find performance on the field. We have a freshman at center, a freshman starting at RT. I don't care what you say, that's a fairly good indication that the goods on the shelf have rotted.

The DPE explanation is simple ... crap coaching. Thank you BR.