Buckeye coming for the OSU game - Game day tips?

8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Ehhh, I can't quite go that far.  They have pretty good burgers and fries.

I'm looking out for my fellow Buckeyes. Maybe the burgers are good, I have never tried them. I have been talked into getting a Runza a few times and it is never good. 

Just the name sounds like a bad trip to the bathroom.

• Plus1 2

Food, Beer and TV's - Lazlo's, Misty's, Watering Hole, Longwell's

Parking - If you can, park a car downtown Friday night, and leave it there. Lil tactic that's worked well for me in the past. But otherwise, just pony up and pay the $10 or $20. Worrying about parking is such a hassle. 

Band Performance - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn the band performed on campus before the game? I'm not totally sure though. The band has never been my thing so I admittedly never paid much attention. I think they also do a performance at the North Misty's. Again, never been my thing so maybe someone can shed more light on it.

Other things - Try some Val's pizza. You'll love it or hate it. Avoid the Runza's. I'm a Nebraska native and have never understood the hype. It's a cabbage and beef hot pocket. I think that everyone knows they're terrible, but they all just pretend that it's good so that we can have a "Nebraska Thing." O Street bars are kind of the college crowd. It's fun if it's what you're looking for. The Haymarket/Railyard area is (usually) a bit more mature area. Feel free to walk around some tailgate areas. They're pretty much all over. Folks will invite you over for a beer or a brat. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Bucksmba said:

Hi Husker fans,

I will be coming to Lincoln for the Ohio State football game.  This will be my first time in Lincoln and I'm greatly looking forward to the trip.  For a visiting fan, what sort of tips can you offer for getting a good Husker's game day experience?  Does the band do any pregame performance?  What about parking?  Since it's a night game, any good restaurants for a lunch?  I was hoping for the volleyball team to have a home game that weekend, but alas, they are away.  Thanks for your help.  

13 hours ago, xumfan54 said:

I live in Fremont Ohio and will be going to the game too!!! Any tips on places to visit is appreciated. GBR!!!

If you two are into microbrews and good food, here's what I posted for a visiting Wisky fan a week or so ago (updated with food selections):

• Blue Blood Brewing south of downtown is a hell of a place worth stopping into. Great locale, great food, great beer and taphouse (they also feature other local brews and ciders both on tap and in bottle), plus they built the taphouse on top of an old landmark called 'Robbers Cave' that used to be, among other things, a storage place during prohibition for bootleg booze. They give tours during certain times of the day of the cave and they use it as natural/green storage for their wares. :) http://bluebloodbrewing.com/home
  • ZipLine Brewing has a lot of great beers, and their Copper Alt is a regional success that you can find at most restaurants on tap. I'd highly reccomend stopping here too to sample local brews. http://ziplinebrewing.com/
  • Empyrean Brewing Company has been in the microbrew business since the 90s (read: since before it was hip) and has some of the best beers in town. They also run Lazlo's in the Haymarket (alternate location in the south part of town) and serve up all their beers there too. http://www.lazlosbreweryandgrill.com/
  • Boiler Brewing Company is relatively new and TBH, I haven't sampled their wares yet. They're located in the Grand Manse Building (a few blocks south of the Stadium), and they have a taphouse there too. http://boilerbrewingcompany.com/
    • If you go to Boiler Brewing Company, be sure to stop by Hurts Donuts if you've never been for some of the most crazy-ass dounts you've ever seen. Plus, they're really good. :) https://www.facebook.com/HurtsDonutLincoln/
  • White Elm Brewing Company is another one I haven't been to yet, but I've heard good things. http://www.whiteelmbrewing.com/
  • Backswing Brewing is yet another one I have yet to try. http://www.backswingbrewing.com/

And BTW, it's relatively easy to Uber/Lyft to other parts of town for cheap. I'd suggest:

• Lazlo's for food, but hit up their South location (where the locals go) because the Haymarket location will be busy as all hell.
  • Blue Blood Brewing has really good food too.
  • Stop at Hurt's Donut to get crazy donuts
  • Honest Abe's Burgers (as featured on the Big 10 Network)
  • Misty's is great for steak and prime rib...but avoid the downtown location (service and food quality aren't that great) and go to the original out in the Havlock area. 
  • Yiayia's Pizza is great, and it's downtown close to Memorial Stadium (off "O" street, where the college kids find their watering holes). 

Also...one kind of important thing to note: the local Farmer's Market (http://lincolnhaymarket.org/events/farmers-market-vendors.html) will be going on in the Haymarket from 7a-noon that Saturday. That means the Haymarket will be partially shut down. But there's lots of local vendors with food (great kolaches!) if you're up for a stroll. 

12 hours ago, xumfan54 said:

I live in Fremont Ohio and will be going to the game too!!! Any tips on places to visit is appreciated. GBR!!!

I highly recommend you visit Fremont, NE while you're here, just 50 lovely minutes north of our fair capitol city.  Fremont, known as the "armpit of Nebraska" due to its lovely lingering odors from the local Hormel plant, is one of the top three most-forgettable towns in the east-central portion of the state (I forget the other two). 

29 minutes ago, jaws said:

Don't eat Runza, no matter what anyone tells you.

For sure not at the game, and not at the dubious "restaurant" of the same name. If someone's mom made some runzas for their tailgate then certainly try one, but what they serve at the stadium is not edible.

13 hours ago, Bucksmba said:

Hi Husker fans,

I will be coming to Lincoln for the Ohio State football game.  This will be my first time in Lincoln and I'm greatly looking forward to the trip.  For a visiting fan, what sort of tips can you offer for getting a good Husker's game day experience?  Does the band do any pregame performance?  What about parking?  Since it's a night game, any good restaurants for a lunch?  I was hoping for the volleyball team to have a home game that weekend, but alas, they are away.  Thanks for your help.  

The band does a warmup performance on the west side of Sheldon Art Gallery about 90 minutes before each game.

PzULV1A.png

They then march to the stadium up Stadium Drive, and of course perform on the field before the game.  Do NOT expect anything remotely like TBDBITL. We are not on that level.

Parking is half a disaster, because the stadium is tucked into a spot between a major highway, rail lines and the campus, so you're going to have to search a bit.  Most of the downtown lots are sold, but if you go to the North Bottoms, you should be able to park in someone's driveway/yard for $20.  Get there early, and no matter what your map tells you, DO NOT try to go down 10th Street.  The bridge over Salt Creek is being rebuilt, so you'll have to get into that neighborhood from Antelope Valley Parkway.

Q0au3ir.png

The good thing is that the North Bottoms are full of degenerate students partying before the game, so if you're in to that sort of thing it's a fun area.  Tons of little tailgates all over there, and most people are pretty friendly, so walk up and ask how they think the game will go and they'll probably put a beer in your hand.

Nobody will mess with your car, or harass you about being a Buckeye fan, so wear your gear and don't be concerned about having out-of-state plates.  This isn't Madison. 

It is too bad the volleyball team is out of town while you're here.  If nothing else, see if they'll let you walk in to the Devaney Center (at Military & Antelope Valley Pkwy).  They may not, but if they'll let you tour it, it's the best volleyball facility in the country. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

What do you guys like? You into beer/microbrews? Good food?

Well, I don't think anyone likes bad food, :)   except those that pretend to like Runza as has been mentioned.  I'm also a Nebraska native and never understood the hype, either.

1 minute ago, GamingGlen said:

Well, I don't think anyone likes bad food, :)   except those that pretend to like Runza as has been mentioned.  I'm also a Nebraska native and never understood the hype, either.

Please, Runzas are good. They also make great handwarmers at the stadium when it's cold. 

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I highly recommend you visit Fremont, NE while you're here, just 50 lovely minutes north of our fair capitol city.  Fremont, known as the "armpit of Nebraska" due to its lovely lingering odors from the local Hormel plant, is one of the top three most-forgettable towns in the east-central portion of the state (I forget the other two). 

Hey! I'm a Fremont, NE native and...you pretty much nailed it.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If nothing else, see if they'll let you walk in to the Devaney Center (at Military & Antelope Valley Pkwy).  They may not, but if they'll let you tour it, it's the best volleyball facility in the country. 

Also a good place to park if you're willing to trade a longer walk for way less traffic.

14 hours ago, Bucksmba said:

Hi Husker fans,

First of all, don't listen to any of these guys.  Runza's are very good IMO.  They are an acquired  taste, but thousands of them are eaten all over Nebraska every day of the week.  Far better than putting Chile on the top of spaghetti  :blink:

Nebraska is a bar town on game day.  Just head down town and you will find one to visit that will be fun. All the places mentioned are great.  My personal favorite to go drink and listen to a little music is the Doc at the back of the Embassy Suites.  They usually have a good band playing and it sounds like it will be a nice day to be outside.  

Grab a 12 pack of something and just walk through the tailgate areas and most likely you will be invited to join some group and eat and chat.  It happens all the time.