Potential HC candidates not named Frost

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that Frost would probably try to go with a power spread offense, which he currently runs at Central Florida.  I think he would be smart enough to adapt/tweak the offense to the roster and the competition that NU would face, so that means he could use more heavy sets for use in conference play.

Frost has intimate knowledge of what worked at Nebraska in the 90s and why it worked.  Combine that with his knowledge of current offenses and having Nebraska bred common sense, I'd have a lot of trust that whatever he runs is the most suitable.

Thanks to Prodigal for putting together the list.  Would be worth while watching what these coaches are putting out on the field.  Catching a little bit of NW/PSU game now.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You do know that last year was on the extreme end of Riley's last 7 or so years, right?

It was a pretty simple question: how many people would have guessed that Scott Frost's team threw more often than Mike Riley's team last year? 

My guess is that most folks would be surprised by that, and that almost no one accused Riley of leaning on the run to help Tommy last year, and most considered the level of pass-happiness unaccepatible. 

fwiw: Riley's 2015 run/pass split was almost identical to Frost's 2016 UCF split.

You know what other teams threw more often than Mike Riley in 2015 and 2016?  Pretty much everyone who played us. Even figuring in the run-centric Big 10, Nebraska opponents averaged 38 pass attempts per game against Nebraska. That's because our pass defense was pretty awful. I'm sure those same opponents ran more against other teams. But well-coached teams can adjust their ratio from game to game without worrying that they might lose their offensive identity. 

Heck, even Wisconsin let Joel Stave wing it 40 - 50 times a game when the mood struck. Given Nebraska's defense in 2014, there was no reason not to hand the ball to any one of their running backs. 

If Frost doesn't want this position right now, and thats also in play, I would have to say that in my opinion you have two ways to go.  Either a Paul Johnson type coach(option, power run game) or you go get Mike Leach.  My issue with Leach is getting that sytle into the B1G and winning with it.  He would have to have a top 15 defense for sure.  Leach does run the heck out of the ball, to set up his fluky passing game.  Mad Scientist!

On 10/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, Nebhawk said:

Who ever the next coach is, they will have to recruit players for a system thats not in place right now.  West Coast offenses just don't work in the power 5 division.  Pro Style, maybe.  Spread option attacks will win games, but haven't won a playoff series yet.  I think you have to be able to play smashmouth football with some passing options.  Pro Style is probably the best fit.  Alabam runs a pro style offense, with pro style players!

Mobile Qb's still win in college football.  I don't like LSU and those coordinators.  They have sucked the life out of LSU already.  They can't produce a game plan to beat Troy.  How would they last here?  Schools have identities.  Nebraska and LSU are power football teams.  They win by running the ball and playing defense.  Simple isn't it?

Alabama doesn't run a pro-style offense... They sure run their offense with pro-style players, though.