How many years do we have to wait?

tmfr15

With the right HC and staff, I think in 2 years we are competing for the West crown.  Honestly, don't really know though.  I can't say for sure where we stack up on talent.  Part of me says that we have some really good B1G talent.  Another part of me says that we are not even close to having enough talent to compete yet.  All i know is that I watch UCF, and they have speed and toughness.  They have passion and a killer instinct.  Some of that is coaching, some of that is recruiting the right players for your system.

That schedule is brutal.  I think we would lose some of those game with TO coaching here yet, but if we can at least compete and have a chance to win those games, thats a good start.  We need a good feeling or vibe at least.  Some hope for upsets.  It would be nice to go to Michigan and Michigan be the underdog!  Ohio ST and only be a 7 point dog instead of a 24 point dog.  Thats signs of improvement overall.

12 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Step 2 needs to happen for me to have any hope going into 2018. Otherwise, maybe I pick up a weaving class on Saturdays at the local Y next year.

You can hire a good coach but leave the assistants up to the new coach.  Devaney came after a losing season, kept most of the assistants, and then had a winning season and a bowl game.  Riley has not had a past record showing a winning history.  We need someone from a great coaching system, like a Saban, Meyer, Bowden, etc.  Great cosches are working now so you tens of millions stealing a Saban or Meyer OR find a second tier coach looking to move up.  The assistants carry the load and do the recruiting.  I don't think any school with a revolving coaching door is a great place to play.  The players want a winning school, sports writer praise and TV exposure to provide a path to the NFL.  

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Everyone gear up for a Bob Diaco led 6-6 2018 season....

Gross. 

Honestly I think Riley could build a consistent winner here given more time, but I think his system is kinda like that. Long developing plan dependent on a lot of time. That way is old fashioned and can hurt you when you get a team with alot of new faces. Need something more plug and play. A system that takes the next guy on the depth chart and makes him a star. Wisconsin has a system like this in place it seems with an endless supply of backers, lineman and RBs. Leach does it with QBs. Oregon used to have that going on as well as Baylor. They had something that was easy for the guys to learn and make an instant impact. I don't have a problem with the drawn out approach but here in Lincoln there isn't much time for that. Maybe it takes a little more time to build a system of sustainability, I don't know, but whoever we get next better get one in place quickly. 

22 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

That Purdue game isn't a gimme game anymore. Before the season started I said we could go 6-6, then changed that to 5-7. There's a chance we only beat Minnesota at this point and go 4-8. There is talent on this team, there's no depth, but the talent is there if they can stay healthy. If Nebraska could make the right hire they could be competitive fairly quickly. Just depends on who that new coach is and who they want the team to be when they get here. 

I'd disagree re: depth. We have some depth in key positions, but it has yet to be developed (or in the case of the RBs, utilized...) effectively.

But I do agree that a good coach and staff can turn this around to 9-4/10-3 in a hurry and set things up for the future. I just don't know who that would be (save for a certain native son...)

• Plus1 1