Racism - It's a real thing.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, Archy1221 said:

Does Coca Cola or any other corporate entity really think this type of BS helps the cause they are wanting to move forward?  
It’s just gonna make a big portion of the audience resent the indoctrination “training”

I agree; this training is nonsense but I'm not surprised it made it passed what were likely multiple levels of critique. White people shaming (making them feel guilty or holding them accountable for something largely on the basis of their skin color) is very much a thing. I'm guessing there were at least some white people who saw this and thought 'geesh, that's kind of F'd up, but I'm afraid too say something and be seen as a supremacist or privileged.'

There are also a lot of people out there who incorrectly and unfairly believe that you can't be racist towards white people. It's BS.

As you said, there are far better ways to promote an inclusive work environment than telling people to 'be less white.'

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think everyone has a little bit of discrimination in them with people they dont know or people that dont look like them. It doesnt mean we hate people of other races, it means we are human and weary of people that are different and people we dont know. There are absolutely people out there that hate people of other races. White, black, brown, it doesnt matter. This lady proves that with this speech. 

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

think everyone has a little bit of discrimination in them with people they dont know or people that dont look like them. It doesnt mean we hate people of other races, it means we are human and weary of people that are different

I can agree with this statement.  It’s a shame though that people get labeled racist constantly when they aren’t.  

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I can agree with this statement.  It’s a shame though that people get labeled racist constantly when they aren’t.  

Thinking things about people as you walk down the street and saying them out loud are two different things. We have all thought things that probably arent true about people, but not all of us go sprouting stuff out about other races. That what makes someone racist, imo. Ive done it with white people with tattoos and baggy clothing, my senses heighten when I see someone like that. Not because I think poorly about the person necessarily, but because I dont know them or what they are capable of. The lady in this video is racist no question. She hates white people and you can tell just by listening to her. The white people who talk this way about black people are also racist.

• Plus1 2

I’m getting really tired of the tendency to revisit actions from another time, 10-20-30-40 years ago, and to use those now to label certain people as racists and proceed to cancel them. However, I can’t quite put me finger on who exactly to blame for this. Certainly it is not black people as a collective, although there seems to be no end of people of color who are willing to get in front of a camera and make the claims. I guess I would lean towards blaming it on liberal elites in the media. I mean that is where we are endlessly hearing about these things.

I’m sorry but sorority girls participating in an old fashioned southern belle ball is not, sans all other context, racist behavior.  A guy wearing black face 30 years ago for a party or Halloween is not indicative of them being a racist. There is a rather large difference between being insensitive and being racist. IMO, the media and the majority who are pushing this agenda are recklessly setting back advancement of the cause. Seems to me demonizing white people based on their actions (or their ancestors actions) many years ago, or simply because they are white and haven’t historically suffered the same injustices is maybe the biggest contributing factor in pushing people towards embracing Trumpism. Or, at the very least, is causing many to hesitate in distancing themselves from it. And, worst case, it is pushing people who otherwise would not be into actually being  racist.

Personally I am tired of so many claims of racism that don’t have any substance. Surely there are enough cases of actual racism that we don’t have to stretch as far as they have been. It’s doing nobody any favors.

• Thanks 4
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m getting really tired of the tendency to revisit actions from another time, 10-20-30-40 years ago, and to use those now to label certain people as racists and proceed to cancel them. However, I can’t quite put me finger on who exactly to blame for this. Certainly it is not black people as a collective, although there seems to be no end of people of color who are willing to get in front of a camera and make the claims. I guess I would lean towards blaming it on liberal elites in the media. I mean that is where we are endlessly hearing about these things.

I’m sorry but sorority girls participating in an old fashioned southern belle ball is not, sans all other context, racist behavior.  A guy wearing black face 30 years ago for a party or Halloween is not indicative of them being a racist. There is a rather large difference between being insensitive and being racist. IMO, the media and the majority who are pushing this agenda are recklessly setting back advancement of the cause. Seems to me demonizing white people based on their actions (or their ancestors actions) many years ago, or simply because they are white and haven’t historically suffered the same injustices is maybe the biggest contributing factor in pushing people towards embracing Trumpism. Or, at the very least, is causing many to hesitate in distancing themselves from it. And, worst case, it is pushing people who otherwise would not be into actually being  racist.

Personally I am tired of so many claims of racism that don’t have any substance. Surely there are enough cases of actual racism that we don’t have to stretch as far as they have been. It’s doing nobody any favors.

I agree with a lot of this.

Honestly, I don't get the whole....anyone who ever dressed up in blackface, even 30 years ago in college, is racist...thing.  

I have a friend who is a Democrat and he dressed up on halloween as Obama with an Obama mask.  Now, how is it more racist if he would have done the exact same thing but painted his face black?

You're right.  There are plenty of racist actions that are more than appropriate to point out.  No need to stretch to the limits to try to make a point.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I usually try to take into account context as best as I can. Keyboard warriors are always going to make these situations sound like they're the worst thing ever and somebody needs to be fired/canceled. And holding historical figures accountable by today's standards will naturally present a lot of objectionable analysis.

It sort of reminds me of being in high school in the early 2000's; not because of racism, but because of the vernacular of the time. It was very common for people to refer to their friends as homophobic slurs when they did something stupid/weird/funny, or to call them the the 'R' word for being mentally disabled. And it still happens today. When I first heard the word "gay," I had absolutely no idea what it meant. It was just something people said.

The instant gratification of the mob mentality on social media has played a huge role in these types of situations. Fair or not, I think people gain a euphoric high (so to speak) by acting tough and demonizing others on social media. It doesn't even matter if they have all the context. Somebody did something possibly racist? Well then they're a racist. Somebody is accused of sexual assault? Well then they're a rapist, regardless of due process.

• Plus1 2

• 3 weeks later...