Racism - It's a real thing.

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I agree 100%.  But I'm also not going to fault a company for wanting to protect their brand.

Exactly.  Companies have to constantly make decisions about what their customers want and what they might make a negative opinion of.  That's capitalism to a T.  Also, I don't see this as censorship.  I see it as a company making a decision about what's best for them.  Now, if someone came in and told them they can't show that, then THAT would be censorship.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  Companies have to constantly make decisions about what their customers want and what they might make a negative opinion of.  That's capitalism to a T.  Also, I don't see this as censorship.  I see it as a company making a decision about what's best for them.  Now, if someone came in and told them they can't show that, then THAT would be censorship.  

Yep.  No one is making this thing inaccessible.  Apparently, it is available on YouTube.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree. Ultimately, it's their decision to make in the best interest of their brand and shareholders.

There's also something to be said about censorship vs. selection. For example, if a school removed "The Catcher in the Rye" from a class reading list because they felt the content was inappropriate, they're only making a decision that applies to their specific situation. One can easily go find a copy in other places. Censorship is more like broadening the scope to every situation.

Trump defends ‘a great general’ who fought against the U.S.: Robert E. Lee

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-defends-his-both-sides-response-to-charlottesville-153321031.html

President Trump on Friday defended his comment that there were “very fine people on both sides” of the deadly clashes in Charlottesville, Va., between white nationalists and counterprotesters in 2017.

The president spoke outside the White House a day after former Vice President Joe Biden launched his presidential bid with a video condemning Trump for the controversial remarks.

“I was talking about people that felt very strongly about the monument to Robert E. Lee, a great general whether you like it or not,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn before departing for the National Rifle Association’s annual convention.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Trump defends ‘a great general’ who fought against the U.S.: Robert E. Lee

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-defends-his-both-sides-response-to-charlottesville-153321031.html

I find it weird that the same people who worship confederate monuments are the same ones that will throw a fit about kids getting 6th place soccer trophies since they are statues of the losing side.

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

President Trump on Friday defended his comment that there were “very fine people on both sides” of the deadly clashes in Charlottesville, Va., between white nationalists and counterprotesters in 2017. 

To be clear, it was this statement that gets my WTF. Remember that Trump thinks white nationalists are "very fine people" Trump supporters.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:42 PM, LumberJackSker said:

I find it weird that the same people who worship confederate monuments are the same ones that will throw a fit about kids getting 6th place soccer trophies since they are statues of the losing side.

What I find weirder is the same people who worship statues of a general who fought against the US are outraged at how disrespectful a football player is for not standing for the flag. 

Ummmmm.....I’m pretty sure Lee wasn’t standing for the flag while he was ordering his troops to kill American soldiers. 

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I would probably agree with the sentiment that Robert E. Lee was a great general. He's no black and white bad guy he's a very shades of grey conflicted man who reluctantly did what he thought was his duty.

I get it.  But it doesn't change the fact that he was an enemy of the United States of America.

The logic used to keep General Lee in "high regard" could also be used to hold generals in the British, German and Japanese armies to the same status. 

• Plus1 2

Backlash in Maryland and Illinois after several high school students wear blackface

Two students at Walt Whitman High School in Maryland posted photos of themselves on social media in blackface and used the "n-word" in describing the picture over the weekend, according to Montgomery County Police.

Capt. Tom Jordan, a spokesman for the Montgomery County Police, said a school resource officer was notified Monday about the image of the students who appeared to be wearing what “looks like mud on their face.” The two students have been identified in what police consider a noncriminal "bias incident" and any disciplinary action will be left to the school, Jordan said.

Since the 1830s, blackface has projected gross, animalistic representations of African Americans, often using black face paint and exaggerated red lips. It has historically been used as a tool to maintain racial boundaries and reinforce the notion that black people were ultimately inferior, experts say.

:facepalm:

• Thanks 2