Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

How many so-called experts got our AD hire even remotely close to being right?  No one.  I think because of the strong booster influence, you know that this question was proposed before we hired Moos, Frost has to be the main target.  I think this is a no brainer for all involved.  Chances are less than 10% Frost says no.  Thats my take, just from listening to boosters, grapevines, and other sources on local talk radio.  

I agree.  We all debated names that probably were not even considered for the AD.  We will do the same with coaches, but i think we are all more familiar with the names that will be considered.  I have been as open minded about a coach coming here other than Frost, but I really think it is just a matter of time that he comes here, which will not happen until after his bowl game. So until January this will all continue

Not surprised by the national pundits out there.  Because of our success for so many years(decades) we are still a target of sorts.  Winning football games, national titles, and doing things the right way for generations tends to make those on the outside nervous and jealous in my opinion.  ESPN is such a hype machine for SEC and certain B1G teams.  

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I just feel like he wouldn't have the name recognition to pull in recruiting classes that are at least better than Bo & Riley's were.

If we want to play Top 10 football, our coaching has to be exceptional if we're going to be in that #20-#30 range of recruiting classes. And I think our fan base still by and large doesn't quite understand this. There's either some kind of resignation that we won't have top 10 recruiting classes because "it's not the Nebraska way" or because Bo & Riley weren't able to do we just assume the next guy can't. 

What I'm perceiving is that there are a lot of people that believe that Frost has that coaching fairy dust to take the recruiting classes we normally expect to get and turn the final product into a Top 10 team. I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

In a scenario where it's Frost or Riley, I want Frost. Absolutely, with no question. But we need much, much better recruiting classes to win titles. I don't feel like our fan base concedes this, but it seems so obvious. And of course...maybe Frost gets those top 15 classes. Maybe. Just doesn't seem likely to me.

That is literally what coaching is. Motivating, teaching and developing your players to be the best they could possibly be. Getting the most out of them every practice and every game and then putting them into positions to succeed on game day. No reason a good coach cant take top 20 talent and make them too 10-15 talent in 4 years. Who knows if Frost can be that guy or not. 

19 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

McShay: "There is sooo much talent at UCF, in that area, in that Florida area. The
expectations are lower. You got a school that is really yearning to be good and to move into a bigger conference. To me, that is a place to build and make it yours. That could become Scott Frost. Scott Frost did this to UCF like Frank Beamer did to Va Tech."

Some truth in this, but were still a few years from re-alignment coming again.  When alot of TV deals are up in a few years, we will see a re-alignment happen once again of some sort.  UCF could be asked into a Power 5 conference, IF there is a Power 5.  What will happen is Texas might go independent, and that will leave the Big 12 in scramble mode.  That will be when college football may never be the same.

30 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

How many so-called experts got our AD hire even remotely close to being right?  No one.  I think because of the strong booster influence, you know that this question was proposed before we hired Moos, Frost has to be the main target.  I think this is a no brainer for all involved.  Chances are less than 10% Frost says no.  Thats my take, just from listening to boosters, grapevines, and other sources on local talk radio.  

Moos' track record is he doesn't cater to boosters. He didn't at Oregon and he didn't at Washington State. It does sound like some boosters want Frost, doesn't it? It will be interesting to see how this thing turns out. If we keep Riley for another season, under certain conditions, the fan base is going to flip out. If we don't hire Frost or God forbid he turns us down, the fan base is going to flip out.

21 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

That is literally what coaching is. Motivating, teaching and developing your players to be the best they could possibly be. Getting the most out of them every practice and every game and then putting them into positions to succeed on game day. No reason a good coach cant take top 20 talent and make them too 10-15 talent in 4 years. Who knows if Frost can be that guy or not. 

Have you seen Frost and his staff on the sidelines? They are a reflection of the style of Urban Meyer and tOSU's staff. The kids play hard for the UCF coaches. We desperately need that. This is why I despise having our coordinators in the press box. You can't substitute their presence/leadership on the field or lack thereof.

Edited by FTW
3 hours ago, Undone said:

I mean this genuinely: Can someone list out the nuances between the offense that Frost helped to coach when he was at Oregon and what Frost does now?

One poster had mentioned in another thread that there was less zone blocking and more lineman pulling when run blocking.

Anything else?

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

Same offense but more hat on hat focus so they can be more physical. All of the 3 back sets, triple option, play action out of the triple option, bubble screens, seam passes, inside zones, etc, are all the same offense. He doesn't go anywhere near as fast at UCF as he did at Oregon. 

Haven't posted in awhile but doing some research for a post im going to do later and saw this and was going to respond but Jessica0 beat me too it. The above assessment is correct with the caveat that minus the QB and a couple other kids he is still playing with many of the last staff's kids so what it looks like now is subject to change. His Offense is essentially not as hard on the knights defense as chips offense was on the ducks defense at Oregon with their break neck pace.

I don't have a horse in this race i just want a winner to rebuild this program. That being said the assertion that we cannot get the players to run his system at Nebraska is absurd. We have the players now minus the QB and a running back whose (knee's?) won't give out. And better line coaching wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by husker98

I sure as heck hope Moos listens to the fan base.... Eichorst psychologically F'd us over with Mike. I cannot remember a bigger let down. What should have been a time to rejoice and band together Eichorst acted like a snake in the grass and thought he was going to outsmart all of us, Lil Pri*k...

Anyways, Moos's decision should pretty much be made for him, all he has to do is deliver the Native Son, and Moose is a hero...

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, El Diaco said:

And that is why I am not sold on Frost or near as giddy as many hereabouts are. I don't think it's an offense built for success at Nebraska. The only reason I do not want Kelly but could possibly live with Frost is because he's a former Nebraska player and I think he might bring the right mindset to the team. But there are a handful of others that I think may be better choices.

I mean ..... we ran a poor-man's version of it for several years recently.  It produced three of the top 10 all-time rushing seasons, four of the top 10 career rushers, four of the top 10 passing seasons, the top two career passers*, four of the top 10 total offense seasons, the top two total offense careers*, two of the top four career receiving yards* and three of the top 10 career receptions*.

I think it can do just fine with the guys we can get here.

*partial credit on some of these players.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ..... we ran a poor-man's version of it for several years recently.  It produced three of the top 10 all-time rushing seasons, four of the top 10 career rushers, four of the top 10 passing seasons, the top two career passers*, four of the top 10 total offense seasons, the top two total offense careers*, two of the top four career receiving yards* and three of the top 10 career receptions*.

It does what you want an offense to do which is score points as evidenced by UCFs results.  It's not a ground and pound offense which makes getting your defense ready for such offenses more challenging, but not impossible.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

And it produced 0 championships, quite a few blowout losses, numerous records of futility and all time lows and has had us in constant search of the answer. Why are we firing coaches and dissatisfied with results? I’d call your list a bunch of empty stats. I’ll take a team that controls the LOS and the clock. Maybe the problem is the poor man’s version we’ve been running but I’d really like to get back to the brand of ball that made our name, not the one that destroyed it.