Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I could get on board with Venables, but part of me thinks he'll move on the K State job when Elder Snyder retires and Younger Snyder flames out. 

That'll be a really interesting situation when Snyder finally steps down.  Snyder has one heckuva coaching tree.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, El Diaco said:

And it produced 0 championships, quite a few blowout losses, numerous records of futility and all time lows and has had us in constant search of the answer. Why are we firing coaches and dissatisfied with results? I’d call your list a bunch of empty stats. I’ll take a team that controls the LOS and the clock. Maybe the problem is the poor man’s version we’ve been running but I’d really like to get back to the brand of ball that made our name, not the one that destroyed it.

We are currently running the brand that destroyed it.  For the second time.

The problem of not winning any championships was not generally the offenses' fault.  We were consistently a Top 20 rushing team and in the Top 10 at least a couple times.  That's plenty of offense to win championships.

But you can't only have half a team performing well.

10 hours ago, El Diaco said:

And it produced 0 championships, quite a few blowout losses, numerous records of futility and all time lows and has had us in constant search of the answer. Why are we firing coaches and dissatisfied with results? I’d call your list a bunch of empty stats. I’ll take a team that controls the LOS and the clock. Maybe the problem is the poor man’s version we’ve been running but I’d really like to get back to the brand of ball that made our name, not the one that destroyed it.

I'd argue that our defense has been the biggest problem over the last 15 years, that has led us the the blowout losses, records of futility, and all time lows.  For the most part, our offenses have been fine (2009 the obvious exclusion) imo.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, El Diaco said:

That system continuously won 9 games or more a season and won the division and got to the conference title game. 

Better teaching and coaching of the system is good enough to win a conference title. 

The pro style has never won crap at Nebraska for a reason - it takes elite talent to win at it. That is why WI will never win a national title running the system they run, they don't have enough elite talent. Their coaching is fine, but they don't have the jimmies and joes to take down a Bama or three high level wins in a row (conference title game and two playoff games). 

In this day and age a lot of the concepts of the old day option are run out of the shotgun. Out of the top 21 rushing teams in the country, 5 are option teams. 

10 hours ago, brophog said:

I'll take the one that out scores the other team.

You can keep the clock.

I will take PO's these days that spread out a defense and make them defend more plays and tire them out. 

In the old day it was about pounding the ball at them to tire them out. In today's game it is about running 90 plays to tire them out. The reason why Syracuse beat Clemson is Syracuse didn't allow Clemson to get every call in, adjust if needed, and be ready for every snap and dominate. Syracuse kept them off their toes with all of the hurry up, motions, etc. It was a brilliant job. When was the last time we watched a team do more than one pre-snap motion and then two seconds before the snap they would get in the formation and at times they caught Clemson on their heels. 

That is how you defeat a team with superior talent in 2017. You have little chance of taking down a power by running 55 plays a game. You gotta get it up to 90ish area if you can. 

I know everyone has this thing against hiring coaches without experience(unless its Frost), but I would like to see them take a look at Matt Canada. Hope that name doesnt give anyone a ptsd flashback.  I think his offense would be a pretty smooth transition from what we currently run. He would even be a good choice in the remote possibility they keep Riley with new coordinators.  I watched a lot of the Pittsburgh tape from last year to scout Nathan Peterman, and before I remembered who the OC was I fell in love with that offense. I'm not saying he is a slam dunk choice, but if he has interest in being a HC then I think you have to give him an interview and see if you think he has what it takes to lead.

In that same category I think Joe Moorhead needs a shot. If we want someone that can innovate on offense and strike fear into defenses then I think those two have to be pretty high on the list. 

Edit:  Forgot to respond to the topic. 

I think if he doesn't use a search firm I will be very disappointed. Search firms can keep us from looking like total fools like we did during the callahan search.

They stipulated on Sharp and Benning after the Moos hire that there is no way you sit down for a meeting with Green and Bounds without having a plan in place for the university going forward. Obviously this was before the OSU game so maybe some part of the evaluation of Riley that would have been part of his plan could be over now. Even if he has a short list of coaches I would Hope Green and Bounds would push him to use a search firm just to cover all possibilities.  They clearly like the results they just got using one so I hope they learned from that. 

Edited by Blackshirts014

Well, we can probably all mostly agree that offense wins games and defense wins championships.

I don't want to comment too much on Frost's style of offense be a use I am not familiar with his particular brand. But if it's anything like Chip Kellys Oregon O, I just don't see us pulling in the speed and elite talent required. Regardless what style, I believe we have to have stellar line play. If that's what Frost is about then you won't get many complaints from me.