** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

I keep hearing this "What if Frost doesn't work out? Will they give him enough time?"

I have answers.

If he doesn't work out, than everybody here is wrong and they fire him.  They'll give him as much time as he deserves.  If he has two losing seasons in his first 3 or 4 years, he'll be gone.  

And I don't think there's any chance that will happen.  Frost really is a natural superstar coach.  And I don't care if you don't like to hear it.  You can wait until midway through the 2018 season to see it with your own eyes.

Look at Purdue.  Brohm is a good coach.  That place was a disaster.  They have the #71 ranked 24/7 Talent Composite.  And in year one, he's got them playing the Huskers as a touchdown favorite.  That's what good coaches do.  

Riley is a bad coach.  Bad coaches squander talent and leave fans feeling hopeless and scared.  Fans wonder if the players were overrated.  They wonder if they've been ruined by bad coaching or their minds poisoned.  A good coach will fix that quickly.  Frost is a brilliant coach.  Not only is he a brilliant football mind and incredibly organized, but more importantly he's also an incredible motivator.  

I'm not saying he'll win an NC next year, but he'll get us back to at least 9 wins and improve on that the following year.  And most importantly, he will have the team playing good, motivated, focused football

Edited by Isle of View
  • Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

I keep hearing this "What if Frost doesn't work out? Will they give him enough time?"

I have answers.

If he doesn't work out, than everybody here is wrong and they fire him.  They'll give him as much time as he deserves.  If he has two losing seasons in his first 3 or 4 years, he'll be gone.  

And I don't think there's any chance that will happen.  Frost really is a natural superstar coach.  And I don't care if you don't like to hear it.  You can wait until midway through the 2018 season to see it with your own eyes.

Look at Purdue.  Brohm is a good coach.  That place was a disaster.  They have the #71 ranked 24/7 Talent Composite.  And in year one, he's got them playing the Huskers as a touchdown favorite.  That's what good coaches do.  

Riley is a bad coach.  Bad coaches squander talent and leave fans feeling hopeless and scared.  Fans wonder if the players were overrated.  They wonder if they've been ruined by bad coaching or their minds poisoned.  A good coach will fix that quickly.  Frost is a brilliant coach.  Not only is he a brilliant football mind and incredibly organized, but more importantly he's also an incredible motivator.  

I'm not saying he'll win an NC next year, but he'll get us back to at least 9 wins and improve on that the following year.  And most importantly, he will have the team playing good, motivated, focused football

I like this post, except the part where you state these unknown (*wink wink) future events as fact. That is what is driving me crazy here lately. I like Frost and would support his selection 100% but there are no guarantees. I wish people would avoid stating things this way.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

I like this post, except the part where you state these unknown (*wink wink) future events as fact. That is what is driving me crazy here lately. I like Frost and would support his selection 100% but there are no guarantees. I wish people would avoid stating things this way.

It's called Big Red Koolaid.  Drink up!

:koolaid2:

1 minute ago, El Diaco said:

I wish people would avoid stating things this way.

I do too. Setting too lofty expectations is unfair to a coach. Don't call him a "genius", don't say he's the next "so and so". There is always the chance of failure. If he's the guys he'll show it.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Just like we are all anxiously awaiting to see if Frost comes here or wondering if we ruined our chances, Frost too has to be thinking if this is his only chance to be the head coach at Nebraska. Yes it isn't the greatest of times to come in here and the stakes are high, but he may not get another chance to coach at NU. It's a gamble on both sides, Nebraska's and Frost's. For Nebraska is this the last chance to get Frost as our head coach? For Frost, is this his last chance to be head coach at Nebraska?

Sure Frost could wait, stick with UCF and try and build a powerhouse, but that is going to be pretty difficult to sustain a longer term power at a non P5 school. If Frost thinks he can wait, he may miss his chance because maybe, just maybe, Nebraska hires a coach that wins and is here for a long time.

we are assuming he wants the job at NU.........i am not so sure.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, skersfan said:

Again Hans, I think you are talking about money.  I think like a lot of you do that he is similar to Coach Osborne.  Almost like a son to Coach Osborne.  He may have the same values as Coach Osborne.  I don't have a clue, but the way he says things I think he honors his commitment to UCF.  We will all know in a month or two.

If he can build UCF into a true national power, it won't be long before there will be an opening for UCF in the big boy division.   I remember how Bobby Bowden built Florida State into a big boy conference member. 

I don't think he would ever come here as an OC.  Under any circumstance.

I'm not just talking about money. Frost is a winner. Coaches can only go so far in a Group of Five conference. Winning 10 or more games a year at an AAC school is nice. But you almost certainly can't make the playoff. Boise State and Houston proved that. You rarely get to play big-time schools at home. You never get the same respect unless you do it in a Power Five conference. You play in half-full stadiums. 

And in regards to money, most isn't related to the head coaches salary. It's the athletic department having enough money to constantly upgrade facilities. To pay more for assistant coaches. To pay for analysts or former NFL GMs. UCF can't do those things. Nebraska and Tennessee and others can.

Like I said before, Frost may not go to Nebraska. I really doubt he stays at UCF past this year though. There's 30 jobs better than UCF. Nebraska and Tennessee are both better than UCF. UCLA, Texas A&M, LSU, Auburn and Florida are better jobs too. Not all seven of those jobs will be open, but some will. The iron is going to be hot and Frost will strike. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

we are assuming he wants the job at NU.........i am not so sure.

I’m hearing and reading conflicting reports about that as well. He and his wife seem to love Florida, with a kid on the way he doesn’t want to have to travel far to recruit, his parents are moving there or have moved down there already, that kind of stuff. Anyone have inside sources or insight on that?

18 hours ago, brophog said:

The biggest problem Pelini had was getting a good offense and defense at the same time. He never had a team in the top 30 in scoring offense and scoring defense, even though he had multiple teams that achieved one or the other.

It often felt like as soon as one hole was plugged, another one sprang up.

11 hours ago, soup said:

There are going to be a lot of pissed off people when 

A). Riley is retained after this year

or

B) a completely different coach is brought in like a Dino Babers.

It's already started: https://huskercorner.com/2017/10/21/nebraska-football-darkhorse-dino-babers/

6 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Who has Wisconsin beat??? Basically no one. 

Just for fun, I looked up some SoS ratings for UCF and Wisconsin. They vary quite a bit from source to source, but the average of the four actually ends up being pretty close.

UCF     Wisconsin
Sagarin         86      62
Team Rankings   59      60
Congrove        102     70
GBE             46      87
Average of 4    73.25   69.75

2 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

How about this scenario:

Frost becomes NU"s OC under Riley for the rest of Riley's contract and then takes over as HC.

Sounds like the Bill Stewart -> Dana Holgorsen transition at West Virginia. It was forced, and it was ugly.

• Plus1 1

@Toe, that average SOS is interesting, but the deviation by source between the two is even more interesting. I want to do some digging.

Edit: In general, Wisconsin has played a schedule whose average is closest to its median opponent, relative to the base method of its ranking system. UCF has played teams that are more on the extremes. GBE is the outlier of both, and while I recognize its methods, I didn't recognize its name. It uses a function of the old opponent and opponents' opponent system, weighting primary opponents twice as much as secondary opponents. This is why UCF's SOS looks so much higher, and Wisconsin's so much lower than other rankings.

Edited by brophog

15 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

I’m hearing and reading conflicting reports about that as well. He and his wife seem to love Florida, with a kid on the way he doesn’t want to have to travel far to recruit, his parents are moving there or have moved down there already, that kind of stuff. Anyone have inside sources or insight on that?

Sean Callahan and a couple of other people have stated in the last two weeks that Coach Frost has told people that he is open to returning. Coach Frost will only talking about building UCF in public. Rumors should start to heat up in about 3 weeks. 

1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

Sean Callahan and a couple of other people have stated in the last two weeks that Coach Frost has told people that he is open to returning. Coach Frost will only talking about building UCF in public. Rumors should start to heat up in about 3 weeks. 

So what you are saying is nobody knows if he actually wants the job.  Just rumors being spread by a columnist.

1 minute ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

So what you are saying is nobody knows if he actually wants the job.  Just rumors being spread by a columnist.

Until there is an offer on the table or a "has agreed in terms" news breaking there isn't going to be an official word on anything. 

• Plus1 1