** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

13 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Just too much to read in this thread,  of course the same thing over and over.  But someone mentioned all the people associated with Nebraska being on the UCF staff.

If you are young gun, with a lot of your friends around, doing an exceptional job, do you really want to throw it away.  Why not keep everyone together and build your dynasty, which may already be started.  Or pull up stakes, move into the inferno of college football that moment and basically start over.

We will see, would like to see him come here I think.  But really do not think it will happen.  He has numerous times said he wants to finish his job there.  Making them a National Power.  But as some say, all coaches lie.  I just don't think Coach Frost is.

Coach Frost's defensive coordinator is from Iowa and his dad still lives in Iowa. It isn't just Nebraska connections, it is the entire staff that is connected. 

If Coach Frost does become the head coach at Nebraska, you can pencil in Erik Chinander as the DC. Diaco will land on his feet somewhere else. 

4 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Coach Frost's defensive coordinator is from Iowa and his dad still lives in Iowa. It isn't just Nebraska connections, it is the entire staff that is connected. 

If Coach Frost does become the head coach at Nebraska, you can pencil in Erik Chinander as the DC. Diaco will land on his feet somewhere else. 

With the intensity that UCF plays with on defense i would have no problem having him bring Chinander along with.

16 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

If Coach Frost does become the head coach at Nebraska, you can pencil in Erik Chinander as the DC.

Not necessarily. If Frost leaves after a really good season, there's a strong possibility that UCF offers one of its coordinators the head coaching job in an attempt at some stability. It might be their OC instead. Or they may hire someone from outside.

When Group of Five coaches leave for Power Five jobs though, the Group of Five team usually promotes a coordinator to head coach.

Edited by Hans Gruber
spelling
  • Plus1 1

Personally the IF just gets larger and larger.  I don't really see the benefits for him at the moment.  He has put money into making UCF better.  He knew he would be approached if he did a good job.  And as much as almost every Nebraska fan thinks all decisions are all about money.  They truly aren't.  Coach Osborne would have left many years before winning a MNC.  Too much access and information available today for him not to see it, and most likely feel it.  Coach Osborne retire 20 years ago, and no matter how he tries he does not seem to be able to step away from, either by his choice or the fan base.  Takes a very special person to run head long into the Nebraska job and be able to do it as most seem to demand.

Not saying I would not be happy if he came, but I am prepared if he says no.  I don't think some will survive it, I keep seeing the whole in the ground and everyone jumping in, that someone posted. 

Edited by skersfan

Just like we are all anxiously awaiting to see if Frost comes here or wondering if we ruined our chances, Frost too has to be thinking if this is his only chance to be the head coach at Nebraska. Yes it isn't the greatest of times to come in here and the stakes are high, but he may not get another chance to coach at NU. It's a gamble on both sides, Nebraska's and Frost's. For Nebraska is this the last chance to get Frost as our head coach? For Frost, is this his last chance to be head coach at Nebraska?

Sure Frost could wait, stick with UCF and try and build a powerhouse, but that is going to be pretty difficult to sustain a longer term power at a non P5 school. If Frost thinks he can wait, he may miss his chance because maybe, just maybe, Nebraska hires a coach that wins and is here for a long time.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Personally the IF just gets larger and larger.  I don't really see the benefits for him at the moment.  He has put money into making UCF better.  He knew he would be approached if he did a good job.  And as much as almost every Nebraska fan thinks all decisions are all about money.  They truly aren't.  Coach Osborne would have left many years before winning a MNC.  Too much access and information available today for him not to see it, and most likely feel it.  Coach Osborne retire 20 years ago, and no matter how he tries he does not seem to be able to step away from, either by his choice or the fan base.  Takes a very special person to run head long into the Nebraska job and be able to do it as most seem to demand.

Not saying I would not be happy if he came, but I am prepared if he says no.  I don't think some will survive it, I keep seeing the whole in the ground and everyone jumping in, that someone posted. 

The benefit is that he isn't coaching at a Group of Five school anymore. I feel confident that Frost is leaving after this season. Now you can make a case that he may go somewhere else besides Nebraska. But when coaches become THE hot guy at a smaller conference, they rarely stay.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Not necessarily. If Frost leaves after a really good season, there's a strong possibility that UCF offers one of its coordinators the head coaching job in an attempt at some stability. It might be their OC instead. Or they may hire someone from outside.

When Group of Five coaches leave for Power Five jobs though, the Group of Five team usually promotes a coordinator to head coach.

Good, I hope they keep the OC lol since Frost calls the plays anyway. As for the DC? Yeah, if we get him he deserves to have his salary doubled or tripled. That defense is disciplined and fundamentally sound.

Edited by FTW
8 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

How about this scenario:

Frost becomes NU"s OC under Riley for the rest of Riley's contract and then takes over as HC.

Sounds more like a Directors Cut Alternate Ending. I prefer the original in that we fire Riley and bring in Frost as the HC.

Again Hans, I think you are talking about money.  I think like a lot of you do that he is similar to Coach Osborne.  Almost like a son to Coach Osborne.  He may have the same values as Coach Osborne.  I don't have a clue, but the way he says things I think he honors his commitment to UCF.  We will all know in a month or two.

If he can build UCF into a true national power, it won't be long before there will be an opening for UCF in the big boy division.   I remember how Bobby Bowden built Florida State into a big boy conference member. 

I don't think he would ever come here as an OC.  Under any circumstance.

49 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

I think there's a good chance UCF makes a run at Chinander for HC.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

You know what's cool about the B1G is that if you coach a program in that conference, you get access to B1G level facilities, money, resources, exposure, recruiting pools, and even B1G schedules.

Can someone tell me why it's NOT UCF's fault that they're dominating the teams on their schedule, and why they aren't playing Alabama? Phonies!

Its maybe not that simple. I don’t think anyone holds it against Frost because he is dominating the AAC. Sure he can only play the teams that come up on his schedule and it’s not his fault a lot of them are not as good as he’d experience in the B1G. My only issue with the differences between the conferences is that some act like that level of dominance will directly translate to here. I’m not convinced it will. I’m not convinced the same system will have the same level of success in the B1G. Maybe SF is adaptable enough and a great enough coach that he can handle it and tweak his system for success. I’m not saying that can’t happen. But I do wish some posters here would not act like everything is already solved and hunky dory the day we hire Frost. It may turn out fine and prove to be just what we needed but I do wish there was more acknowledgement of the challenges any coach will face taking over this program and jumping up a level or two.

As an example, how well did Saban do at MSU compared to his years at Bama? It’s not always simply about the coach or the conference or the team location. It is the sum total of all the parts with timing sprinkled in. My biggest concern is not that we might not get Frost but what if we get him and he isn’t quite ready or the timing is slightly off? How long will some of these Only Frost people give him to make it work? Cuz our 2018 schedule is going to be a wake up call no matter who we get, so there’s likely one subpar year down. What If year two doesn’t show enough improvement? Is he on the hot seat in year 3 just like Riley? I just wish more people were a little more realistic with the challenges this program faces. I think that is what many mean when they point out this isn’t UCF or the AAC. It’s not a knock on them, it’s just different here and I believe much more challenging than what he’s dealing with there.

And yes I realize we can’t be frozen by what if’s and afraid to do anything. But I sense this fan base is very near a point of no return. 20 years of suckage will try any organization. To be honest, we’re probably extremely lucky to be in as good of shape as we are. But if so many choose to envision Frost as our one and only hope and he should struggle a bit, God help us. I think a little more levelheaded approach would go a long ways toward preventing disaster if he turns out to not be the savior. Or maybe we’re just screwed if we don’t get him or he doesn’t work out. Sorry but the last 15-20 years has severely impacted my outlook. I just hope whoever we hire gets it headed in a good direction soon. The dismantling under Callahan and the last few years of Pelini and the Riley era has put us in a very bad situation and has significantly shortened the allowable timeframe for anyone, Frost included.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

How long will some of these Only Frost people give him to make it work? Cuz our 2018 schedule is going to be a wake up call no matter who we get, so there’s likely one subpar year down. What If year two doesn’t show enough improvement? Is he on the hot seat in year 3 just like Riley? I just wish more people were a little more realistic with the challenges this program faces.

And I wish more people were realistic in the universality of such things. Data has been posted about year 2 tendencies of coaches at large as well as many examples from multiple eras in this thread. I'm not reposting it redundantly. It's pretty clear.

I'm certainly for Frost getting heavy consideration and I'm also for firing him after 3 years if the results aren't there that lead to the conclusion he can get over this 9 win hump. I also have to seriously question anyone who thinks he needs longer on if they've actually read the supplied data.