** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

6 minutes ago, theknife said:

Yes, there has to be some asterisk to the level of play UCF has played. That said, across the board they are a well coached, disciplined team in nearly every phase of the game:

• 10th overall in  Fewest Yards Penalized Per Game 
  • 13th overall in Fewest Penalties Per Game
  • 16th overall in Turnover Margin 
  • 33rd in Kickoff Return Defense
  • 42nd in Total Defense
  • 57th in Total Offense 
  • 16th in Red Zone Defense
  • 34th in Red Zone Offense 

Those aren't UCF's rankings.

6 minutes ago, theknife said:

Yes, there has to be some asterisk to the level of play UCF has played. That said, across the board they are a well coached, disciplined team in nearly every phase of the game:

• 10th overall in  Fewest Yards Penalized Per Game 
  • 13th overall in Fewest Penalties Per Game
  • 16th overall in Turnover Margin 
  • 33rd in Kickoff Return Defense
  • 42nd in Total Defense
  • 57th in Total Offense 
  • 16th in Red Zone Defense
  • 34th in Red Zone Offense 

Are those stats normalized for opponent or something?  I thought their offense is in the top 10 overall. 

If Frost was not an NU alum...would you know who he was as of right now?  

I am guessing even if he wasn't an NU alum that more of us would know who he was over Riley.  Think about that for a second...it really goes to show just how horrible and uninspired the Riley hire really was.  

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

I'll update some of them for you:

Total offense: #6

Scoring offense: #1

Total defense: #30

Scoring defense: #16

Turnover margin: #3

UCF could be #1 in all of those categories and there would still be people "Coach Frost isn't qualified" and other stupid stuff they say. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If Frost was not an NU alum...would you know who he was as of right now?  

I am guessing even if he wasn't an NU alum that more of us would know who he was over Riley.

This. Prior to this season, I think you could make a case about Frost's lack of experience as a head coach. Now, combined with how well UCF is playing, the lack of experience angle doesn't really work.

They smoked good Memphis and Navy teams. Both teams with their own hot coaches. Frost is going to be THE hot coaching name from a Group of Five school. His being from Nebraska, playing at Nebraska and winning a national title is just a bonus now.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

I bet some posting on this thread would have passed on hiring Urban Meyer when he was at Utah. 

Man you guys twist everything. Nobody is saying they dont want Frost. People are just saying there are other qualified candidates besides Scott Frost that can coach at Nebraska next year. If its Frost ill get behind him. If its someone else Ill get behind them. Can you say the same thing?

• Plus1 4
22 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also wouldn’t call Frost’s offense a finesse one. It’s a power spread. They spread out the D horizontally, in order to create mismatches and attack it vertically. On UCF’s big run to go up 21-14, I their WR make a block on the outside like NU used to. That was a thing of beauty.  

I'm trying to understand how running vertically is "power". Isn't "power" football out-muscling the other team at the point of attack? I watched the UCF-Navy game and UCF ran spread the entire game and I don't recall them having less than 4 wides (they might have I just don't recall that).

Most troubling to me was on UCF's second or third drive when they had 2nd and 1 at Navy's 3 yardline. They ran out of the shotgun three plays in a row and got stuffed. That's the opposite of power football right there. Does Frost ever run from under center? Reminds me of Mizzou's offense the last few years we were in the B12, lots of offense but no power football.

I'm not saying Frost's offense isn't good or that he wouldn't be a great HC, but I'm not seeing the claims of "power spread" being realized.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Man you guys twist everything. Nobody is saying they dont want Frost. People are just saying there are other qualified candidates besides Scott Frost that can coach at Nebraska next year. If its Frost ill get behind him. If its someone else Ill get behind them. Can you say the same thing?

These are my exact thoughts also.  If Frost becomes the next HC, so be it.  If someone else becomes the next HC, so be it.  I will cheer for whoever. 

• Plus1 1