** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

You can't be first tier without having won titles of some sort. Coach Frost has potential to become a first tier coach, but nowhere near that yet. If he is able to run the table this year and go 11-0 and win the conference title game to go to 12-0, then that is respectable for a second year head coach. If he loses to USF and finishes second in his division, then you can see the upward trend. 

First tier are the likes of Saban (took a long time for him to become a first tier coach), Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Dabo, and the like. National title winning level coaches at the college level or took an NFL team to a superbowl or won the division in the NFL (not an easy thing to do). 

Like Bill Callahan did with the Raiders? 

I think things would be different here versus Michigan in how quickly the fan base starts grumbling regarding Frost/Harbaugh. There's always going to be a minority of fans unhappy barring an immediate turnaround, but as a Nebraska native and alumnus, I believe Frost would be given plenty of slack (thinking at least Solich/Pelini slack), especially compared to any other hire.

• Plus1 2
Just now, hskrpwr13 said:

Big difference, IMO. Harbaugh was a major component in the Niners rebuild. Callahan was handed a ready-made SB team...and drove that team into a wall the season after.

I'm just pulling Jessica's leg a bit here. Part of her criteria to be a First Tier coach was to win titles.  Bill won his division and took his team to the Super Bowl. Not many rookie NFL football coaches can do that. That he lost miserably should've been a huge red flag to Steve Pederson NOT to hire him. Harbaugh had been a college coach before he was an NFL coach IIRC.  NFL coaches don't always do well at the college level and college coaches stink at the NFL level (re Saban, Spurrier).  

hskrpwr13, you have the same deal with Harbaugh at Michigan, not a National Champion (I don't believe), but there is talk of him being on the hot seat right now.  With the demand of this fan base, I would say we would have to be playing for CCG in 4 years or he would be in trouble.  Personally I don't think that is possible with Ohio State recruiting in the top 5 every year.  Makes the depth so much greater.

I personally never want to see a retread NFL coach come here again. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I'm just pulling Jessica's leg a bit here. Part of her criteria to be a First Tier coach was to win titles.  Bill won his division and took his team to the Super Bowl. Not many rookie NFL football coaches can do that. That he lost miserably should've been a huge red flag to Steve Pederson NOT to hire him. Harbaugh had been a college coach before he was an NFL coach IIRC.  NFL coaches don't always do well at the college level and college coaches stink at the NFL level (re Saban, Spurrier).  

The next year should have been an even bigger red flag.  He had the worst turnaround from Super Bowl to dumpster dweller in NFL history and he had to hire body guards to protect him from his own players as he walked to his car after practices.  His SB season was already a year in the past when Pederson hired him.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Isle of View said:

The next year should have been an even bigger red flag.  He had the worst turnaround from Super Bowl to dumpster dweller in NFL history and he had to hire body guards to protect him from his own players as he walked to his car after practices.  His SB season was already a year in the past when Pederson hired him.

No kidding! There are also those who said he actually sabotaged the Super Bowl. 

One of the reasons the Raiders lost the Super Bowl (if I remember correctly) was their All Pro Center had a nervous breakdown (could have been drugs) and did not show up for the game, which not only affected the line play calling, but brought concern to the players.  I don't think he was found for a couple of days after the game.  But BC did not help his cause by calling the team Dumb.  He is a great coach, just not a great Head Coach.  Well according to the people that are supposed to know.  Never met the man.  My son is a huge Raiders fan, and he feels about him like the all the Husker fans do.

Edited by skersfan
1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Frost is a “first tier” coach.... Chalk Talk can kiss my butt.

i was just messing with you last time... it’s okay to want a $7 million coach but guarantees nothing IMO ... except maybe he’s a shoe contract cheater who mysteriously gets all the recruits.

It depends on who is on his first tier, but the guy knows his stuff. 

41 minutes ago, skersfan said:

hskrpwr13, you have the same deal with Harbaugh at Michigan, not a National Champion (I don't believe), but there is talk of him being on the hot seat right now.  With the demand of this fan base, I would say we would have to be playing for CCG in 4 years or he would be in trouble.  Personally I don't think that is possible with Ohio State recruiting in the top 5 every year.  Makes the depth so much greater.

I personally never want to see a retread NFL coach come here again. 

If thats true, then the fan base has radically changed since Pelini's tenure. There are many fans that think Solich shouldve never been fired despite a 7-7 season and some embarrassing loses. Pelini got 7 years despite 4 losses in every season. The circumstantial evidence points to Frost getting at least 7 years if hired. And if Frost were to accomplish what Harbaugh has so far, he'd be considered a conquering hero by many. Trouble in year 4? Nah. His results would have to be worse than Riley's and Callahan's.

10 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

If thats true, then the fan base has radically changed since Pelini's tenure. There are many fans that think Solich shouldve never been fired despite a 7-7 season and some embarrassing loses. Pelini got 7 years despite 4 losses in every season. The circumstantial evidence points to Frost getting at least 7 years if hired. And if Frost were to accomplish what Harbaugh has so far, he'd be considered a conquering hero by many. Trouble in year 4? Nah. His results would have to be worse than Riley's and Callahan's.

Make no mistake: if there's a change, whomever is hired is going to be at the head of a full-on reclamation project. If it is Frost, he's going to need at least 3 full recruiting cycles to get the players he needs and trim the fat off the current roster.