** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

In reading part 2 of Chalk Talk, Frost's offense really reminds me of another one that had a great deal of success....NU under TO. TO's O was based on a a solid running game and passing attack that was based upon approx 20-25 plays IIRC.  These plays were run out of multiple formations and "looks", but the reads. options, blocking were the same. It was an incredibly "complex" offense in its "simplicity".  With the various formations, he could give 100 different looks and combinations, but the "plays" were the same.  It allowed TO to in game adjust like a madman.  Actually one of the best I have seen.....

Reading, it seems that Frost has the same inclination.  A "set" stable of plays that they run to almost flawless execution.  That can be run with multiple formations and looks so as to not telegraph and ones run to actually set up other plays.  Something I have rarely seen from Wats, Beck or Langs.  Beck would briefly flash and we wouldnt see anything for 4-5 games.....He is able to realize that hat on hat battle in the box.  Why run a bunch set against a strong DL....Bring the LB's in and safety down?  Nope.  He spreads them out and gets hat on hat to win the battle at the point of attack..  He seems to be able to cal plays to get more favorable match ups.  Plays with the specific intent of getting blockers to the second level....Things we are really missing.

Unsure if he will be hired.  I hope he is.  A great pedigree, experience, scheme, staff, methodology etc......

IMHO, if you simply listed his accomplishments at every level, and didn't use his name, he'd stack up as a great choice based on the facts alone.  Take out the homer fan bias.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

So on average, a 4*. How is that not at all impressive?

It's not that impressive when you consider the fact he was at Oregon for 6-7 years and he had 10 4*'s at a program that was dominating the Pac 12  and a top 10 program at the time. So on average he grabs 1 maybe 2 4*'s each year. I say it's not impressive because it's not like he is out there bringing 4 star talent into UCF now and when he was bringing in high level recruits it was very limited when he was at a school winning 10-11 games each year...

I'm not hating on him here at all. I think he has an eye for talent even when a kid doesn't have the stars to match. My concern, and original point, is 1) that he would probably choose Tennessee over Neb because it is easier to recruit the talent and type of players Frost needs in his system and 2) to those people saying he is our savior and going to bring us a B1G/ National title.. even if he does come to Nebraska there's not a lot of promise or history to show that he can stock us up on talent to compete with Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St let alone Bama, Clemson or other top 10 schools.

I love Frost and think he is one hell of a coach. I would love to see him at Nebraska. I think he would make our team tough, mean and disciplined like we were in the 90's. I'm just expressing my concern with calling him our saving grace. 

4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

It's not that impressive when you consider the fact he was at Oregon for 6-7 years and he had 10 4*'s at a program that was dominating the Pac 12  and a top 10 program at the time. So on average he grabs 1 maybe 2 4*'s each year. I say it's not impressive because it's not like he is out there bringing 4 star talent into UCF now and when he was bringing in high level recruits it was very limited when he was at a school winning 10-11 games each year...

I'm not hating on him here at all. I think he has an eye for talent even when a kid doesn't have the stars to match. My concern, and original point, is 1) that he would probably choose Tennessee over Neb because it is easier to recruit the talent and type of players Frost needs in his system and 2) to those people saying he is our savior and going to bring us a B1G/ National title.. even if he does come to Nebraska there's not a lot of promise or history to show that he can stock us up on talent to compete with Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St let alone Bama, Clemson or other top 10 schools.

I love Frost and think he is one hell of a coach. I would love to see him at Nebraska. I think he would make our team tough, mean and disciplined like we were in the 90's. I'm just expressing my concern with calling him our saving grace. 

Oregon isn't easy to recruit to and is harder to recruit to than TN even with all of that Nike influence up there. They recruit the same players that all of the Pac 12 schools recruit. Remember their stud speed guy from several years ago that they flipped from USC at the last second before NSD? 

1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

Oregon isn't easy to recruit to and is harder to recruit to than TN even with all of that Nike influence up there. They recruit the same players that all of the Pac 12 schools recruit. Remember their stud speed guy from several years ago that they flipped from USC at the last second before NSD? 

Stop trying to make a point by changing my point... I'm not saying Oregon is easy to recruit. It's definitely harder than TN... BUT recruiting at Oregon is definitely easier than recruiting at NEBRASKA which is the school what we are all hoping Frost decides to coach IF/when Riley is canned. Bringing west coast talent to the midwest is definitely more difficult than bringing west coast talent to.. the.. west coast.. And nope I don't recall the speed guy that flipped from USC but flips happen all the time in CFB and when Frost was at Oregon, they were a superior team to USC at the time. Oregon was winning 10-12 games, competing in conference championship games and for national titles. 

3 hours ago, jessica0 said:

Were you expecting to see 50 4-stars or something? He was their WR coach for a while and brought in 4-star WR's. He was their OC for a while and brought in some QB's. Remember what isn't listed there are the QB transfers he brought in. 

Yes it should have his recruits that transferred, it has the WR's that transferred out of Oregon like Carrington (utah) and the 4 star that transferred to Northwestern (don't feel like looking his name up)... 

Just now, Throw Dem Bones said:

Stop trying to make a point by changing my point... I'm not saying Oregon is easy to recruit. It's definitely harder than TN... BUT recruiting at Oregon is definitely easier than recruiting at NEBRASKA which is the school what we are all hoping Frost decides to coach IF/when Riley is canned. Bringing west coast talent to the midwest is definitely more difficult than bringing west coast talent to.. the.. west coast.. And nope I don't recall the speed guy that flipped from USC but flips happen all the time in CFB and when Frost was at Oregon, they were a superior team to USC at the time. Oregon was winning 10-12 games, competing in conference championship games and for national titles. 

Yes it should have his recruits that transferred, it has the WR's that transferred out of Oregon like Carrington (utah) and the 4 star that transferred to Northwestern (don't feel like looking his name up)... 

What I said is exactly what Chip said. It is exactly what Frost said. Why do they say it? Not much in the area so you have to go to battle against schools elsewhere. There is a reason why Chip said he looked at what Tom Osborne did at Nebraska and followed the same model. 

Not sure why anyone would think it is easier to recruit to Oregon then Nebraska. The only thing Oregon has to offer recruits is their facilities, uniforms, and they are Nike's school. Other then that, Eugene is isolated and a small city compared to other college locations.

Oregon is a brand, it's one giant marketing scheme. Behind the uniforms, the state of the art hundred million dollar facilities, it has no substance. Back in the mid 90s Oregon sold itself to Nike and it obviously helped elevate their program to great heights, it has made them what they are today, but in the process and at the end of it all, Oregon sold itself.

Don't know if anyone here went to the Nebraska/Oregon game, but walking around Autzen stadium it felt like a giant corporation. There was zero feeling of any sort of tradition, pageantry, history. I felt like I was walking around the Nike World Campus, it felt like one giant corporate headquarters.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

What I said is exactly what Chip said. It is exactly what Frost said. Why do they say it? Not much in the area so you have to go to battle against schools elsewhere. There is a reason why Chip said he looked at what Tom Osborne did at Nebraska and followed the same model. 

I'm not saying you're wrong about having to battle other schools else where... Nowhere did I say that you were wrong there, I'm saying you're wrong that Frost has a great track record of recruiting top talent (10 4*'s in 6-7 years, when Oregon was the cream of the crop in CFB)..

If he did choose Nebraska over Tenn.. yes, he would have those battles with Cali, TX and FL schools going after top talent just as we do now. But if you read that article I posted earlier, Frost said he chose UCF over other programs because he wouldn't have to travel as much and battle out of state schools when there's a ton of talent is in their backyard (FL). Location to the type of players he wants to recruit is important to him. That's why it'll be hard to drag him from the southeast all the way back to Nebraska

2 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Not sure why anyone would think it is easier to recruit to Oregon then Nebraska. The only thing Oregon has to offer recruits is their facilities, uniforms, and they are Nike's school. Other then that, Eugene is isolated and a small city compared to other college locations.

Oregon is a brand, it's one giant marketing scheme. Behind the uniforms, the state of the art hundred million dollar facilities, it has no substance. Back in the mid 90s Oregon sold itself to Nike and it obviously helped elevate their program to great heights, it has made them what they are today, but in the process and at the end of it all, Oregon sold itself.

Don't know if anyone here went to the Nebraska/Oregon game, but walking around Autzen stadium it felt like a giant corporation. There was zero feeling of any sort of tradition, pageantry, history. I felt like I was walking around the Nike World Campus, it felt like one giant corporate headquarters.

I was only saying that when Frost was at Oregon (the best years Oregon had and when they were competing for NC's) it was easier to recruit top west coast talent to Oregon than it was to bring top talent to Nebraska. Nebraska is a far superior school when we are actually winning. Hell this 2018 class would be amazing if we went 9-3... but that won't be happening

1 minute ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I was only saying that when Frost was at Oregon (the best years Oregon had and when they were competing for NC's) it was easier to recruit top west coast talent to Oregon than it was to bring top talent to Nebraska. Nebraska is a far superior school when we are actually winning. Hell this 2018 class would be amazing if we went 9-3... but that won't be happening

True, also along with winning Oregon had the benefits of having Washington being down and in a rebuild and USC on sanctions. Oregon's 5-6 years run of great success was lighting in a bottle. USC and UW were down, and Oregon happened to get a head coach in Chip Kelly that was unique and different. Oregon's run was the combination of many perfect timings.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

True, also along with winning Oregon had the benefits of having Washington being down and in a rebuild and USC on sanctions. Oregon's 5-6 years run of great success was lighting in a bottle. USC and UW were down, and Oregon happened to get a head coach in Chip Kelly that was unique and different. Oregon's run was the combination of many perfect timings.

That's my issue with Jessica saying Frost is a great recruiter.. If he was, he would have more than 10 4*'s in 7 years at Oregon when Oregon was at it's peak and the rest of the pac 12 was mediocre

1 minute ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

That's my issue with Jessica saying Frost is a great recruiter.. If he was, he would have more than 10 4*'s in 7 years at Oregon when Oregon was at it's peak and the rest of the pac 12 was mediocre

But at the same time look at what Oregon, Frost and their coaches did with coaching their players. You're saying they should have had better recruiting classes, but Oregon had their run with mediocre recruiting classes and having the skills to coach their players up and had players that ran a certain system that worked really well. Mariota was a 3* recruit. Oregon's current QB who is hurt right now, but is pretty good was I think a 3* recruit. Oregon had a ton of 3* recruits that helped create that run. So although maybe there is an argument Frost and Co should have recruited better during their peak years at Oregon, one could argue they did a fantastic job of coaching players up.

3 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

But at the same time look at what Oregon, Frost and their coaches did with coaching their players. You're saying they should have had better recruiting classes, but Oregon had their run with mediocre recruiting classes and having the skills to coach their players up and had players that ran a certain system that worked really well. Mariota was a 3* recruit. Oregon's current QB who is hurt right now, but is pretty good was I think a 3* recruit. Oregon had a ton of 3* recruits that helped create that run. So although maybe there is an argument Frost and Co should have recruited better during their peak years at Oregon, one could argue they did a fantastic job of coaching players up.

Oh I totally agree that Frost can identify talent and potential even if the kids don't have the stars to match. I do think Frost is a great coach and developer of players. I'm good with 3*'s being molded into quality and high end starters and I think we can win the West with that model. But I'd love to see what he can do with top talent like a Micah Parsons, Bookie, Isaah Crocker, Josh Moore, TJ Pledger, etc. Those kids are game and program changers with the right coach and development.