** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

19 minutes ago, Redux said:

How has that West Coast style worked for the last 3 years against the Big Ten?  And that stud DC is defending against PAC12 teams.  Pass heavy offense VS Big Ten is a recipe for disaster, see NU 2017.

Let me elaborate then.  He would cone in with his wonky offense.  It would take minimum 2-3 years to see it start working.  Meanwhile, whatever DC he hires would have to scrap year 1 after realizing tbe Big Ten is harder physically, year 2 start over etc.  At best, we see more 8-9 win seasons.  That's his ceiling at a place like this, I promise. At Tech he had a fertile amount of athletes to really churn out yards and points, at Wazzu it's just now starting to click but it still isn't fully there.

And from a cultural standpoint he wouldn't like this job IMO, likewise this fanbase wouldn't like him.  It's a bad fit, just like Bielma would be.

Good thing Leach doesn't run the WCO. Frost is tearing up AAC teams, you have to take chances - We're not gonna get a proven B1G winner right now. So Leach's ceiling is lower at Nebraska than it is at WSU and TT?

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

The point he is making is Pederson started this when firing Solich, and we have to get back to stability to return to relevance. SF would stay if successful, and would unite the fanbase.  Hiring him to an 8 year deal and supporting him all the way is probably our best hope.

Same thing, Frank did not get fired for records. 

• Plus1 1

The National Media has always hated us. Even in the 90s. If Scott Frost isn’t hired and Moos gets a great coach, the fan base will unite. If Mike Riley improved every year and made us competitive, he would have (guessing he is gone tomorrow) got a lot more time. Instead, we have regressed. I do believe we have the atheletes in a lot of areas and could be competitive right now in the BIG. 

6 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Good thing Leach doesn't run the WCO. Frost is tearing up AAC teams, you have to take chances - We're not gonna get a proven B1G winner right now. So Leach's ceiling is lower at Nebraska than it is at WSU and TT?

Leach runs a Frankenstein offense that relies on big plays, it would not do well here.  Just my opinion.

What are you talking about proven B1G winner?  And yes my assumption is he would win less games as our coach than he could at Tech and Wazzu.  I can't give you proof of this since it's me being skeptical of a hypothetical hire.

Edited by Redux

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

WHY are we still furthering the narrative that Bo got fired for winning?  He got fired for his s#!tty attitude and his crap record against legitimate competition, seriously it's like 5-19 over 7 years against teams that finish in the top 25.

Pelini got fired because of a rift with the chancellor.

If said chancellor was still around, I am quite certain Frost to Nebraska would not happen.  Osborne would tell Frost to stay away.

Osborne has an excellent relationship with the new chancellor and president and has given Frost two thumbs up now.

• Plus1 1

Mike Leach is what 57yrs old?  Not ancient but not on the young side either.  He has a system and that's that.  Unless he can come here and immediately start stockpiling the raw athleticism required to run his system, he will not succeed or be given the amount of time necessary to win big consistently.  That's what we want, that's what we need.  He would not fit here.

All of this is moot since he is not coming here.

Edited by Redux
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Leach runs a Frankenstein offense that relies on big plays, it would not do well here.  Just my opinion.

What are you talking about proven B1G winner?  And yes my assumption is he would win less games as our coach than he could at Tech and Wazzu.  I can't give you proof of this since it's me being skeptical of a hypothetical hire.

You referenced that you didn't like Grinch because he's doing it against Pac12 defenses. Chinander is putting up his defense stats against AAC schools, there is going to be a risk with whoever we bring in. I won't write off Grinch or Chinander because of their leagues, they can adapt.

Not being a dick, I'm generally curious, if not Frost who would be on your short list?

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You referenced that you didn't like Grinch because he's doing it against Pac12 defenses. Chinander is putting up his defense stats against AAC schools, there is going to be a risk with whoever we bring in. I won't write off Grinch or Chinander because of their leagues, they can adapt.

Not being a dick, I'm generally curious, if not Frost who would be on your short list?

Has nothing to with Grinch.  Has everything to do with PAC 12 is on par with Big 12 as far as defensive importance goes.  Whoever the DC ends up being they need to understand what it takes to be successful against the teams in our league.

If not Frost, I honestly don't know.  Not Leach, not Kiffin, not Bielma, not Miles.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It doesn't matter the reason. If we can't find a successfully coach with whom we can have some stability this ride continues spiraling downward.

It does matter if the actual perception is we fire coaches for winning but not enough.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Has nothing to with Grinch.  Has everything to do with PAC 12 is on par with Big 12 as far as defensive importance goes.  Whoever the DC ends up being they need to understand what it takes to be successful against the teams in our league.

If not Frost, I honestly don't know.  Not Leach, not Kiffin, not Bielma, not Miles.

It does matter if the actual perception is we fire coaches for winning but not enough.

Ok, I should phrase it I don't care the reason, not that it doesn't matter. Screw the media, coaches know the stories.

My point about stability stands.

It occurred to me to take a look at Mike Gundy at Okie State over 12 years since his situation pretty closely resembles what Scott Frost might take on:

Winning percentage  .679

Best Finish >>  3rd in the post season rankings of 2011

Worst season was his first in 2005, went 4 - 7

As recently as 2014 went 7 - 6

Ranked in top 20 at some point during the season for 10 of 13 years (including this one)

Bowl record of 7 -4 (did not make a bowl his first year)

One conference title in 2011

Although I'm not a major sports news hound, I don't remember him every being on the "hot seat".  Maybe I"m wrong on that.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Ok, I should phrase it I don't care the reason, not that it doesn't matter. Screw the media, coaches know the stories.

My point about stability stands.

The only way to achieve stability is hiring a coach that can win games while building a program.  On field results can't take a backseat to everything else, that's been Riley's downfall.

I  know I’m probably going to be crucified for this but I think we as a fan base need to understand that if we don’t get frost then the chance of a splash hire is small. At that point we need to really take off the rose colored glasses and try figure out who really will be our next HC. I know everyone is against Beliema but out of a lot of the available coaches he has the most experience in the BIG. He also won a lot of games at Wisconsin running a system that us as Nebraska fans can appreciate and get behind. I want Frost badly but if he isn’t coming I honestly wouldn’t hate if we hired Beliema. Plus his wife is pretty hot and that’s always a bonus! 

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Husker Fans!

Edited by Husker from Kansas