** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

13 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

To be fair, Helfrich never called plays at Oregon. When Helfrich was the OC, Chip Kelly's called the plays. When Helfrich was promoted to head coach, he picked Frost as OC and let Frost call the plays.

Thanks.

The point I was trying to make is that OCs that don't call their own plays have a stigma attached as being less than the ones that do. Therefore moving from a head coach to such a position is a bigger hit to the ego.

Butch fired from TN. The loss against Missouri ended things like the Knoxville media guy said would happen if they didn't make a bowl game and this move shows that their AD figures a bowl game isn't going to happen. 

I'm expecting to hear Scott Frost on their list, but I don't see him being a legit name for that job. Mullen, Gruden, and others on that list I shared a few pages back. 

So that makes it 2 jobs open with more coming (as we all know). 

18 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

yep, not intending to compare the two. Just listing what they are getting done based on their competition. 47 points per game against P5 is a heck of a lot more impressive than 48.6 against G5 competition. 

It's also G5 athletes against other G5 athletes. Both examples are like for like.

Kelly's 2012 run was more impressive, though. His scoring variance was much less than UCF's is this year. Some of that is pace of play, but not all of it. UCF's production drops more against the better teams in their conference.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

By my count, that's 12 coaches but we can only hire 10.

And why do people think Frost's former boss will be a good fit as his OC? Reversing the power dynamic where Scott is now Helfrich's boss doesn't sound like a good plan.

No its 10 assistants, I put Dewitt on their twice just in case people missed the LB next to his name and Frost does not count as an assistant coach. Yes, the tenth assistant would not be hired until January, but if he wants to bring one of them after the bowl game that could work out for both UCF and Nebraska. 

Helfirch can be a great OC, he does not need to lead the team, he just needs to lead the offense. I think if he just has to focus on that aspect of the game, he can be really good. Especially since he knows Frosts offense really well, it would be a perfect fit. Walters is a UCF guy so I would assume they pick him to as their next HC kind of like what Houston did with Applewhite. 

Edited by HuskermanMike

16 hours ago, FlipPhone said:

Doesnt the position have to be officially posted for like a week or 10 days?  We might know of the firing on Black Friday, but not know who the replacement is for up to 2 weeks after that?  Or is there an exception to this for coaches?

I forgot about these regulations. Does this apply to the football HC? That would hurt recruiting.

4 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I forgot about these regulations. Does this apply to the football HC? That would hurt recruiting.

It depends on state laws. As far as I know, Nebraska doesn't have that issue. I know Wisconsin does. Any state job in Wisconsin must be posted for two weeks, or something like that. Obviously it isn't an issue for private schools.

5 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

It depends on state laws. As far as I know, Nebraska doesn't have that issue. I know Wisconsin does. Any state job in Wisconsin must be posted for two weeks, or something like that. Obviously it isn't an issue for private schools.

I we do have to meet that regulation, then fire MR now so we can get the job posted.

12 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Here is my Scott Frost Staff for 2018. 

HC- Scott Frost-

OC- Mark Helfrich- interesting turn of events, Scott trusts him and would not be a bad OC hire. If not Mark, I would go with Walters comes with him.

DC Eric Chinander- Great defensive mind who Scott trusts, this guy will make the Blackshirts play hard with Effort, no more excuses. 

Special Teams/Associate HC/LB Jovan Dewitt- really like this guy and would not be surprised if UCF tries to nab him as their next HC. 

Wr- Keith Williams- Walters gets HC at UCf or takes over as interim at least. Would not be surprised to see Ted Gilmore return as WR coach here if KW is not retained. 

OL- Greg Austin-Frost has high praise for him and loves his teaching style, if Frost is here Austin will return here too.

TE-  I'm going to go with a Nebraska guy here, but I don't know who. 

RB- Ryan Held- Nebraska guy who has his rb crew balling out.

QB- Mario Verduzco- Brings a wealth of experience to the QB position and can back it up with Milton playing well this year. 

DL- Mike Dawson (potentially Parella stays)- Coached at Oregon, Frost liked him to to bring him to UCF so he brings him to N as well. His D-Line plays tough, hard nosed football.

LB- Jovan Dewitt- same guy as above

DB- Donte Williams- might add recruiting coordinator to his name as well to bump his salary a bit. I think he and Chinander will work well together with their aggressive style. 

Thoughts?

How about Mike Ekeler for LB and special teams?  Loved that guy's energy and is a Nebraska guy. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, jessica0 said:

yep, not intending to compare the two. Just listing what they are getting done based on their competition. 47 points per game against P5 is a heck of a lot more impressive than 48.6 against G5 competition. 

How is it so much more impressive when one has P5 playing against P5 defenders and the other has G5 playing against G5 defenders?

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I we do have to meet that regulation, then fire MR now so we can get the job posted.

I don't live in Nebraska, and I'm not 100 percent positive, but I'm pretty sure Nebraska doesn't have that regulation.

It was never mentioned when Bo was fired in 2014. It was frequently mentioned when Wisconsin had to replace Gary Andersen that same year. 

Unfortunately I don't think we will find out much more for another 2 weeks. To summarize for those not about to read 94 pages. Sounds as though Florida is hoping for chip Kelly after the full court press on frost failed. Nebraska appears to have offered frost, some say it's a mutual agreement but nothing official For a few weeks. In my opinion in 2 weeks Riley is fired and soon as can announce after frost season done he will officially announce coming here.