CALIBRASKA CONNECTION

42 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Kids need to start committing to the school rather than the coaches. Coaches come and go, just the way it is now.

I know kids commit to coaches, but Benning basically said that NU needs to get back to recruiting kids to the school. As you said, your coaches may or may not be at the school you entire career there, but the school will always be your school. 

• Plus1 5

23 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

If you guys think the kids in the Midwest are better players you're crazy . We have more talent in Northern California than the whole state of Nebraska does. That's part of your problem you guys think you can win in your 500 radius if that's what you recruit congrats on becoming Wyoming. The best players we have are from California or Texas. If you think freshmen are suppose to come tear it up get real. The biggest problem Nebraska has is a lot of their fans are stuck in the 90's.

No the problem is people accepting sh*t coaching and lack of player development. 

23 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

If you guys think the kids in the Midwest are better players you're crazy . We have more talent in Northern California than the whole state of Nebraska does. That's part of your problem you guys think you can win in your 500 radius if that's what you recruit congrats on becoming Wyoming. The best players we have are from California or Texas. If you think freshmen are suppose to come tear it up get real. The biggest problem Nebraska has is a lot of their fans are stuck in the 90's.

Stuck in the 90s because people don;t like getting pummeled by the entire BIG? get real dude

26 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Nobody is saying we shouldn't recruit California kids, it just shouldn't be such a big focus like it is with the hype ploy of Calibraska. 

Timmytbro have you ever coached at any level.It takes more than 2 yrs. Of recruits to rebuild a program but I'm sure you think it should be done the first year. The coach has to get his players that fit his system and build depth to compete. We have 3 seniors that add any help in our 2 deep depth chart.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know kids commit to coaches, but Benning basically said that NU needs to get back to recruiting kids to the school. As you said, your coaches may or may not be at the school you entire career there, but the school will always be your school. 

And, frankly, that's foolish. The program's success fluctuates too much depending on the coach. Recruiting, and coaching for that matter, is a process of building relationships. It's understandable that players feel attached to a coach.

• Plus1 2

I don’t think Gebbia was out of line. He gave an answer that his son really likes the staff and is happy where he is. 

I find it very interesting that people bashing the Cali kids were possibly the ones excited to get Keyshawn Jr and others. The connection to Bookie came with them as well. Now, these people have turned and said that Nebraska/midwestern kids are better. There are great Midwest kids...I coach here in the Midwest and know this. We need a mix of kids and the connections to top tier kids are more important than ever with how college football is now. Saying good riddance to a connection in a hot bed state is very silly IMO. 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Timmytbro have you ever coached at any level.It takes more than 2 yrs. Of recruits to rebuild a program but I'm sure you think it should be done the first year. The coach has to get his players that fit his system and build depth to compete. We have 3 seniors that add any help in our 2 deep depth chart.

Yea, lol Pee wee, but tat is not relevant... Year 3 we should be seeing some results that are positive, tell me what positive do you see in year 3?

We have true freshman start who are clearly not ready to play, Lamar Jackson, Jordan Stevenson.

We have the worst running game in the BIG.

We have a terrible defense.

Our QB is passing around 50% with a ton of ints.

We have been getting clobbered.

This is year 3, so what direction are we going under Riley?

This article really tells a lot about the mentality of both coaches and the recruits that make up the sum of what we see on the field. Apparently the players really "couldn't be happier" and love being coached by Riley and co. Just shows that Dinadardo's assessment of Riley's practice being soft in 2015 fall camp and then the whole bloodbath comment are probably accurate. Then there's the below comment. I love the Midwest and it's hard working blue collar people. If you think there's no difference in people based on where they are raised geographically you're dead wrong. I grew up moving all over the country and there's absolutely differences. People in the Midwest are (on average) just tougher than people on the coasts. This team relied on that toughness for years (as Wisconsin now does).  Who cares if the Calibraska thing goes away? We'll still snag a few players from the state on an annual basis but trying to build a Midwestern USC was doomed to fail from the beginning. 

“That’s why, if you really think about California and Nebraska — those are two opposite walks of life. So in order for us to even be willing to consider that and of doing that, there had to be a person that we trust with our kids. That’s Donte. That’s coach Riley."

• Plus1 3

Calibraska didn't start with Coach Riley and it certainly won't end if he goes.  

Read this :

https://hailvarsity.com/s/1624/nebraskas-all-time-all-california-team

Going all the way back to 1973-current, 30 of NU's recruiting classes have had two or more Californians.  The '05 class had 9!

Steve Taylor, Taylor Martinez, Lawrence Phillips, Ralph Brown, Brendan Stai, Quincy Enunwa, Roy Helu -- there are several standouts!

Gebbia's dad has a right to be upset if Riley goes -- don't blame him one bit.  

But Coach 7 on 7 -- whatever -- doesn't sound like he's pushing Nebraska anyways, just Coach Williams.

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

But Coach 7 on 7 -- whatever -- doesn't sound like he's pushing Nebraska anyways, just Coach Williams.

I read it as he would only want to send his kids to coaches he is comfortable with. Essentially saying if we fire Riley we lose that connection and have to build it back up or hire a coach he is comfortable with, not that it would be gone forever.

• Mavric locked this topic