CALIBRASKA CONNECTION

3 hours ago, secretasianman said:

Calibraska didn't start with Coach Riley and it certainly won't end if he goes.  

Read this :

https://hailvarsity.com/s/1624/nebraskas-all-time-all-california-team

Going all the way back to 1973-current, 30 of NU's recruiting classes have had two or more Californians.  The '05 class had 9!

Steve Taylor, Taylor Martinez, Lawrence Phillips, Ralph Brown, Brendan Stai, Quincy Enunwa, Roy Helu -- there are several standouts!

Gebbia's dad has a right to be upset if Riley goes -- don't blame him one bit.  

But Coach 7 on 7 -- whatever -- doesn't sound like he's pushing Nebraska anyways, just Coach Williams.

Yes, don't blame Gebbia's dad for being concerned but we can't make a coaching decision over it, Cali is a big state we've always recruited and it won't go away because of a couple pissed guys.  It does seem like the relationship to Williams is stronger than the relationship to Riley, and it's possible that Williams could stick around with a coaching change.  If his buddy stays on staff this Hawkins guy probably suddenly becomes a Frost fan. 

In terms of recruiting if we would manage to get Frost I think he would create a lot of excitement that would even-out what's lost from Riley. Maybe we could get in late with guys currently not on our radar like a good dual-threat qb and/or some JUCO help. If Riley had hit the JUCO's we wouldn't be struggling so much right now. If it's not Frost it's hard to say, will depend obviously on the hire and who he hires. 

2 hours ago, Otterpop said:

What do think will change we're healthier than we've been all season. What has Purdue done played somebody close that's it. Everyone forget they lost to Rutgers so it's not like their good. I'm saying 27-14 Nebraska. Jones being back and having 2 more weeks of practice will help plus all 3 safeties back will help in passing game.If we lose to Purdue I'll agree Riley needs to be fired . I just bet on them I'm sure we'll beat them.

Now that Lee is taking care of the ball we should win this one. We have had two weeks to prep and even more importantly get ourselves healthy. They're a better team than the Rutgers score implies, pissed that one down their legs, but their O just has not been very good in conference play.  Their D is fairly solid.

Both teams will be hungry for a win. I think this one goes down to the wire with us batting-down a Hail Mary at the end. Riley's seat won't cool-off but he'll still have one. 

Neb 24

Pur  20

9 hours ago, Otterpop said:

Timmytbro have you ever coached at any level.It takes more than 2 yrs. Of recruits to rebuild a program but I'm sure you think it should be done the first year. The coach has to get his players that fit his system and build depth to compete. We have 3 seniors that add any help in our 2 deep depth chart.

Mark Richt, Scott Frost, Justin Fuentes etc say hello.....That's an excuse.

We took a 4* safety moved to CB, Kalu to safety....Only Injuries allowed Decker and Jaimes to start.....OZ basically missing, jut recently, after 7 games realizing we need to get the TE's in the game.  That's incompetent coaching, roster management and development.

• Plus1 4

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Mark Richt, Scott Frost, Justin Fuentes etc say hello.....That's an excuse.

We took a 4* safety moved to CB, Kalu to safety....Only Injuries allowed Decker and Jaimes to start.....OZ basically missing, jut recently, after 7 games realizing we need to get the TE's in the game.  That's incompetent coaching, roster management and development.

Kirby smart too.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I love this...all of a sudden parents are worried to send their kids off to college because a different state is "so different"

99% of parents can't f'ing wait to get their 17-18 year old of the house and off to college...any college.  Especially if it is going to be free.

Well, his dad is rich and used to a different lifestyle than your average Midwest American. 

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

FL and TX HS football > Cali HS football. Not saying I don't want a few Cali kids here and there, but that state thinks they are the South of football which is far from the truth. 

I agree, but I think it is easier to poach top Cali kids than top FL and TX kids.  The football pride in those states is very high and the local teams are hard to beat.   

• Plus1 1

Maybe its just me, but I don't get the sh!tting on all CA players and/or recruiting of CA players.  We have got a lot of good CA players going back a long ways.

A pipeline to any recruiting hotbed is a good thing, be it CA, TX, FL or OH.

And looking at Mav's chart of CA players, they seem to turn out at about the same rate as all of our other recruits.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I agree, but I think it is easier to poach top Cali kids than top FL and TX kids.  The football pride in those states is very high and the local teams are hard to beat.   

True, plus there are WAY more top programs involved in pulling recruits from the east and southeast.  Lots more mouths at the trough.  NE and OK have traditionally done relatively well in TX and CA.

I remember an analysis and article of this done by Brandon Cavanaugh IIRC.  Can't find it, though.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
Just now, Red Five said:

Maybe its just me, but I don't get the sh!tting on all CA players and/or recruiting of CA players.  We have got a lot of good CA players going back a long ways.

A pipeline to any recruiting hotbed is a good thing, be it CA, TX, FL or OH.

And looking at Mav's chart of CA players, they seem to turn out at about the same rate as all of our other recruits.

I think people just want to get defensive at times.  I admit that my first response in this thread was pretty defensive.  I agree that NU has a long history of recruiting California, and they have turned out to be some of the best Huskers on the field.  I get why Mr. Gebbia is defending his son and Riley, but him and that 7-on-7 coach need to understand that NU has been recruiting NU for 40+ years, and what Riley is doing there is not new.  If Riley is fired, I am sure the new coach will have an assistant or two with ties to California.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric locked this topic