The Numbers

HIHusker

5 hours ago, lo country said:

A lot.....

Here are the actual numbers:

If Riley were to be fired? Nebraska would owe him $170,000 per month through the end of his contract, assuming he does not obtain employment elsewhere. With his contract recently extended through Feb. 28, 2021, Riley would now be owed nearly $7 million, according to Hero Sports.

So let’s do the math. If Riley were to be retained through the end of the season but fired at the end of November, Nebraska would be looking at paying out two separate buyouts for 14 months. That would equal $4,172,126.

Article here

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/want-mike-riley-gone-heres-cost-nebraska

So in retrospect Eichorst is a snake and some major donors are really pissed.

So much for the OWH ad.

19 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

No kidding.  I've told my wife -- forget pushing the kids to go to medical or law school, let's get them into coaching!

Lol, hey start them young with coaching! I started by grabbing books at the school library and ended up getting hooked. It came to point where I was spending more time reading those books than my school books and homework, hah.

As for coaches salaries, look at Nick Saban. He's going to get paid $11+ million this year! And there are people saying he's UNDERPAID! Good grief! Looking back at 1997, Tom Osborne was the highest paid Big XII HC with a $175k base salary and made a yearly earning of $1 million in 1997.

Now, I can comfortably say right now we totally underpaid Osborne. I know it's 20 years ago, but it goes to show Nebraska needs to get with the times. If we want somebody good, we have to pay, period. I just don't want to see us waste it now that we're earning some dough in the B1G.

Edited by FTW
  • Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

offer Frost 5m plus huge achievement bonuses on a 5 year contract.... and let the world know that Frost will be our coach for 5 yrs... rain or shine... period...  no talk of firing or extension until that 5th year eval  

Doesnt work that way.  If Frost approaches year 4 of a 5-year contract with no extension we get killed in negative recruiting.

The University could be on the hook for 8+M for 3 head coaches 2 of which former ADSE paid way to much for to begin with.  He gave Bo an extension and fired him the next fall.. How's that for fiscal responsibility.. If I'm coming in my buyout would be guaranteed and in the 15-20M range for security one way or the other.   

28 minutes ago, skers44 said:

I am actually interested in what the outrage would be if Moos keeps riley. I am an evil person

I can see me not outraged but it  would have to involve either Riley majorly turning it around or highly extenuating circumstances that would make a coaching search rough at the time(Frost isn't interested plus a bunch of name teams end-up looking and it looks like we could well be left out in the cold on anyone else we really want).  Both scenarios are possible but unlikely. 

10 hours ago, FTW said:

Lol, hey start them young with coaching! I started by grabbing books at the school library and ended up getting hooked. It came to point where I was spending more time reading those books than my school books and homework, hah.

As for coaches salaries, look at Nick Saban. He's going to get paid $11+ million this year! And there are people saying he's UNDERPAID! Good grief! Looking back at 1997, Tom Osborne was the highest paid Big XII HC with a $175k base salary and made a yearly earning of $1 million in 1997.

Now, I can comfortably say right now we totally underpaid Osborne. I know it's 20 years ago, but it goes to show Nebraska needs to get with the times. If we want somebody good, we have to pay, period. I just don't want to see us waste it now that we're earning some dough in the B1G.

Saban is underpaid if you look at the overall economic impact the University of Alabama has seen since he took over at HC.  As I type this I noticed USA Today just wrote a pretty good article that outlines Saban's impact just a couple days ago.  Talk about good timing!  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/10/25/nick-saban-underpaid-more-than-11-million-season/794275001/

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Saban is underpaid if you look at the overall economic impact the University of Alabama has seen since he took over at HC.  As I type this I noticed USA Today just wrote a pretty good article that outlines Saban's impact just a couple days ago.  Talk about good timing!  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/10/25/nick-saban-underpaid-more-than-11-million-season/794275001/

Amazing story of Bama's commitment to grow the univ and the football program.  Bold steps were taken.  I'd say hiring MR 3 years ago is a bit milquetoast in comparison.

Time for NU to get bold. 

4 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

offer Frost 5m plus huge achievement bonuses on a 5 year contract.... and let the world know that Frost will be our coach for 5 yrs... rain or shine... period...  no talk of firing or extension until that 5th year eval  

Nope, he gets 3. 

11 hours ago, FTW said:

Tom had some of his raises spread out to his asst coaches some years, instead of adding to his contract. Even so he was still under paid.

GBR!!!

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I don't expect it but I'm still one of the guys in the back of the room hoping Riley wins 4 of the next 5 and is given another year....  It would be fun to see this team turn a corner and start performing.  GBR

That would be great to see the team finish the year strong but based on what you have seen from Riley the first 3 years, do you think he is a long term solution?  Do you think the program is headed in the right direction?  If not, why continue down that path if a better option is available?