Thoughts and Prayers!!!

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

At some point you'd think the prayerful among us would pray that this stops happening.

At some point you'd think the folks that call themselves 100% pro life would find a way to stop kids from being gunned down in a school. Or church. Or mall. Or movie theater. 

• Plus1 3

How f#&%ed up is this? A 12 year old boy from the school that was shot up was being interviewed on CNN. He  just said he was holding on to a baseball bat while they were hiding from the shooter because if he was "going down" he was going down fighting. This is our society! A kid who hasn't even gone through puberty yet, is talking like a soldier...

I grew up at the same time as Columbine. I can remember before and after. Since those were my formative years it didn't really hit me too hard, but it was weird having to start practicing code red drills. The threat seemed so far away though. Now, if I was a kid I would probably be terrified of going to school. When I was a kid shootings we're things that happened in bad neighborhoods of inner cities. Now, it's seems like only a matter of time before it's you at your desk being shot.

I remember the Aurora shooting. I went to see Batman the next night. I will admit I was nervous going, and pretty freaked out when I saw the attendant walk into the dark theater to count heads. I'd imagine our kids now feel something like I did everytime they go to school. This is our society...

Ts & Ps

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

How f#&%ed up is this? A 12 year old boy from the school that was shot up was being interviewed on CNN. He  just said he was holding on to a baseball bat while they were hiding from the shooter because if he was "going down" he was going down fighting. This is our society! A kid who hasn't even gone through puberty yet, is talking like a soldier...

I grew up around Columbine. I can remember before and after. Since those we're my formative years it didn't really hit me too hard, but it was weird having to start practicing code red drills. The threat seemed so far away though. Now, if I was a kid I would probably be terrified of going to school. When I was a kid shootings we're things that happened in bad neighborhoods of inner cities. Now, it's seems like only a matter of time before it's you.

I remember the Aurora shooting. I went to see Batman the next night. I will admit I was nervous going, and pretty freaked out when I saw the attendant walk into the dark theater to count heads. I'd imagine our kids now feel something like I did everytime they go to school. This is our society...

Ts & Ps

Well......

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Listen to this child. My god.

This is not freedom. This is a country held hostage by a lobby of people who profit off of guns.

I know we lost this battle when nothing happened after Columbine, or Sandy Hook. But... man. You have to be some kind of heartless or completely insane if you think the 2nd Amendment means kids have to live like this.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

This is not freedom. This is a country held hostage by a lobby of people who profit off of guns.

I know we lost this battle when nothing happened after Columbine, or Sandy Hook. But... man. You have to be some kind of heartless or completely insane if you think the 2nd Amendment means kids have to live like this.

That's the one. If that doesn't speak to you, you are lost...

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This evokes a wide range of emotions: heartbreak, anger, fear...

My kids are 8 and 10. They are intelligent, courageous, amazing kids. They have lock-down drills at school, and we occasionally talk about current events at home, although we rarely take a deep dive into the scary stuff. When I try to picture my kids being this brave in the face of this kind of situation, I fail. We need to talk to our kids about this, even at their young ages, but what to say?

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is like saying, "Our schools are on fire. Let's throw wood on the fire to put it out."

We can't seem to suss out what kinds of people are going to go on a shooting rampage before they do it.

Why do we assume teachers themselves aren't going to go on a shooting rampage?! And we're making it easy.

On top of that, thinking back to my days in school, there were teachers who were on power trips who I wouldn't want to see provoked while armed. And imagine being a student with a teacher like that, knowing they have a gun. It would make those types of teachers even worse than they already are.

• Plus1 5

Has it been reported what kind of gun(s) were used in this latest Highlands Ranch school shooting? I'm assuming it has been reported and I missed it because people are clamoring for gun control. Or are those who are calling for gun control moments after a tragedy like this desiring a ban on all guns?

I'm not opposed to making many types of guns harder, if not impossible, to get but it seems shouting "gun control" will only be effective if the pleas for it align with the weapons used.

However, my first thought about what needs to be fixed is what is causing these people to increasingly want to commit these heinous acts. I'm all for a ban on assault type, rapid fire guns that can do so much damage so quickly but the much larger issue would be working on ways to identify and prevent whatever is causing these people to do this. If we take away all guns it would make it a little tougher but imo they will still find a way to inflict their senseless damage. Guns aren't the root cause, they just make it easier and increase the carnage.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Has it been reported what kind of gun(s) were used in this latest Highlands Ranch school shooting? I'm assuming it has been reported and I missed it because people are clamoring for gun control. Or are those who are calling for gun control moments after a tragedy like this desiring a ban on all guns?

I'm not opposed to making many types of guns harder, if not impossible, to get but it seems shouting "gun control" will only be effective if the pleas for it align with the weapons used.

However, my first thought about what needs to be fixed is what is causing these people to increasingly want to commit these heinous acts. I'm all for a ban on assault type, rapid fire guns that can do so much damage so quickly but the much larger issue would be working on ways to identify and prevent whatever is causing these people to do this. If we take away all guns it would make it a little tougher but imo they will still find a way to inflict their senseless damage. Guns aren't the root cause, they just make it easier and increase the carnage.

I think they used handguns of some type this go-around.

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

All I've heard is that they were "hand guns".  

I'm OK with reasonable and effective gun legislation.  I'm not against common sense gun control.  However, what happens so many times when legislation is put through during times of tragedy, the legislation is built around emotion and not good information.  The Patriot Act is a good example of this.

I think everyone on this board agrees that something needs done.  It's just....what is that "something".

Like you, I'm very troubled with what is in our society that makes these people want to do these things.  THAT needs to be studied heavily.  

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is like saying, "Our schools are on fire. Let's throw wood on the fire to put it out."

Chris Kyle, arguably the greatest sniper to ever walk the Earth, still couldn't beat a "bad guy" with a gun at point blank range. What makes anyone think a school teacher is going to be more effective? 

• Plus1 3