Nebraska AD Bill Moos sticking with coach Mike Riley through end of season

20 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Meh. I see what you are saying, but the same can be said for keeping him and how the players respond. Whether you like a coach or not, and I am going to guess most of these players like Riley and company, you will play for them maybe harder knowing it's their last two games. Riley has impacted these players lives in some way or another, be it recruiting them and giving them a scholarship, giving them advice in their personal lives, etc. There are a ton of ways a coach impacts a young mans life and there is no doubt Riley has.

You are right these players probably know Riley and the staff are gone at the end of the season. But so does Riley and this staff. I am sure Riley will have a talk with them in preparation for these last two games informing them these will be the last two games he and the rest of the staff will be there coaches. Now, given everything you went through with this coach and all he has done for you in the past 3 years, you don't think this situation can light a fire under these players to go out and play better and worker harder and show more heart to give back to their coaches what those coaches have given them for 3 years?

This is coming from someone who would have liked to have seen Moos fire Riley on Saturday.

I kind of figure these players have known the end is nigh for at least the last two games. I haven’t seen any indication they are willing to lay it on the line for these coaches so that is influencing my opinion. I’ve also heard from some pretty good sources close to the team that many of the players pretty much hate Diaco. I’m just beyond convinced that it is a completely screwed up team chemistry and there is no willingness to do it for these coaches or, to some extent, for the guy next to them. I’ve seen this validated week after week. So, based on that I just would’ve liked to see things shook up a bit to see if it would yield any better results. It doesn’t really matter to me but would’ve been nice for the players to at least enjoy these two remaining games since there is nothing else on the line and provide them some kind of spark that they apparently don’t currently have. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I kind of figure these players have known the end is nigh for at least the last two games. I haven’t seen any indication they are willing to lay it on the line for these coaches so that is influencing my opinion. I’ve also heard from some pretty good sources close to the team that many of the players pretty much hate Diaco. I’m just beyond convinced that it is a completely screwed up team chemistry and there is no willingness to do it for these coaches or, to some extent, for the guy next to them. I’ve seen this validated week after week. So, based on that I just would’ve liked to see things shook up a bit to see if it would yield any better results. It doesn’t really matter to me but would’ve been nice for the players to at least enjoy these two remaining games since there is nothing else on the line and provide them some kind of spark that they apparently don’t currently have. Oh well.

That probably explains the lack of effort, but doesn't excuse it.

47 minutes ago, drfish said:

Midseason firing has really rallied the Gators.

I wouldn't expect much of a bump. It's a sh#t sandwich either way pretty much. The thing to keep in mind is, we're all ready in the midst of a mid season firing. The only thing lacking is the press conference telling everybody what they all ready know and we don't have an interim situation which could be a good thing or a bad thing. From what I've witnessed on the field, not sure things could get any worse....at least not until this Saturday. So sure, I guess some can be satisfied that the players have absolutely nothing to play for. But it doesn't do much for me.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

That probably explains the lack of effort, but doesn't excuse it.

Not sure it's something that can be excused or not. It just is what it is. Pretty hard to give something your best effort if you don't trust the system and don't respect or like the guy. I have a hard time blaming the players when it's apparent these coaches have put next to zero effort into nurturing the required culture of a successful football team.

Who would you even suggest as an interim coach? The coordinators both seem like they'd be downgrades (somehow). Promoting a position coach (Parrella) seems like it would probably just worsen in-fighting among the staff.

4 hours ago, Toe said:

Who would you even suggest as an interim coach? The coordinators both seem like they'd be downgrades (somehow). Promoting a position coach (Parrella) seems like it would probably just worsen in-fighting among the staff.

Yeah, it's probably a little unrealistic to do it and have it make sense. I sure wouldn't put either coordinator in charge. I'd go with Parella for obvious reasons but at that point you might as well send Diaco packing along with Riley. So now you're down two guys that he'd have to cover for. Well, on second thought, based on what Riley and Diaco actually do, it's probably not a stretch at all. But you gotta consider that I wouldn't be opposed to chopping the top 3 and letting the players run things themselves. What's the worst that could happen? Get blown out by Minny? I'm just to the point where I can't envision anything being worse. I'm probably wrong, with this team things always seem to get worse.

8 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I wouldn't expect much of a bump. It's a sh#t sandwich either way pretty much. The thing to keep in mind is, we're all ready in the midst of a mid season firing. The only thing lacking is the press conference telling everybody what they all ready know and we don't have an interim situation which could be a good thing or a bad thing. From what I've witnessed on the field, not sure things could get any worse....at least not until this Saturday. So sure, I guess some can be satisfied that the players have absolutely nothing to play for. But it doesn't do much for me.

Oh come on, toss a little lettuce, tomato, onion on it a little salt and pepper to taste as well as a fresh aioli to top it off. Now that's a s#!t sammie 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Got me thinking about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ruDdcd8G-g

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I can. Because he is sending this team out to do battle two more times with the full knowledge that the coaching staff is not preparing them, they’ve checked out and know they’re done. The players have absolutely nothing to play for since this staff has not instilled an ounce of knowledge, pride or give a F in them. I really believe they have no idea what they should be doing in most situations. They are woefully unprepared and emotionless. And they aren’t stupid, they know this staff is done. At least with an interim coach situation it might have lit a fire in a few of them. It’s a rudderless ship in a stormy sea. Not good IMO. It’s not even about winning or anything like that, just about having some purpose for strapping it up. I can’t imagine a worse situation for a player to be in. I just hope nobody gets seriously hurt. I hope POB is smart enough to develope an “impact migraine” before it’s too late like Lee did. This O line could get somebody killed. That’s why I believe it’s a poor decision. Has nothing to do with punishing or embarrassing Riley or giving any fans some satisfaction.

Interesting take..... I hope you didn't stretch too much and pull a muscle.  Moos has a plan and i'll give him time before i declare "poor decision"

Edited by GBRFAN
1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

Interesting take..... I hope you didn't stretch too much and pull a muscle.  Moos has a plan and i'll give him time before i declare "poor decision"

Maybe poor decision was a bad choice of words. I would feel better calling it not the best decision. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been pretty impressed with Moos so far and this one issue isn’t impacting my opinion of him. I just really don’t see any benefit to hanging on to Riley in these circumstances when everyone and their brother knows he’s done in 2 weeks and the track record has been a complete inability to inspire performance.

34 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Maybe poor decision was a bad choice of words. I would feel better calling it not the best decision. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been pretty impressed with Moos so far and this one issue isn’t impacting my opinion of him. I just really don’t see any benefit to hanging on to Riley in these circumstances when everyone and their brother knows he’s done in 2 weeks and the track record has been a complete inability to inspire performance.

Agree with all that - except i consider it really the "best decision" -  some of these players are seniors and i'm sure they are disappointed with the season and how the staff has preformed, however they do have a relationship with the staff and breaking it won't give most of them anything. 

Also another poster mentioned something of great value - by not firing MR the potential candidates (SF) for the job don't have to deal with the noise mid season.  Hoping Scott Frost  is the guy and he and his players wouldn't have to deal with the speculations regarding NU and the open position until after they are finished with the regular season.

One thing to keep in mind as this entire change comes to fruition.

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong).  But, the state of Nebraska has a law that a position like this must be posted for (I think) 10 days before someone can be "hired".  Even if I'm wrong about that, the AAC championship game is December 2nd.

So, I expect Riley to be let go on November 25th.  If I'm correct about what I stated, this means the new coach (Frost) won't be announced till December 5th or 6th at the earliest.  

I also predict that a certain percentage of the Husker fan base will melt down during that time fully believing the search has failed and we are down to our 10th option and Husker Football will never be good again.

So.....just remember, on November 25th, just grab a stiff drink and kick back for a while.