What is a well coached team in BM's eyes?

Hilltop

I thought this description sounded pretty good to me...  I like BM more and more every day.

From the Omaha World Herald... https://twitter.com/OWHbigred

Here is Bill Moos's response when asked what a well coached team looks like- "They're disciplined, they play with passion, they have focus, they're in excellent shape, they're disciplined in their lives in all aspects — not just in the field of play, but in the classroom and in the community," Moos said. "They are good teammates, they are leaders, they care about how they are perceived, how they look, how they dress, how they talk. All those things add up to the ingredients of a successful program. 

"And good solid football programs produce good teams. The team is different every year. It has a different makeup. But if the program is solid in the ways I just mentioned, the teams will be competitive year in, year out."

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

No matter how much fans like a coaching hire if he doesn't win as much as we'd like, the fans won't have patience for long. And then we'll hear cries of "fire him!" all week long. That is unfortunate.

I think it really is relative to the hire. Let’s face it probably 50 % of this fan base never wanted anything to do with Riley. It was a total WTF hire. He was doomed unless he got out of the gate fast. 

Now take a Frost hire. Aside from a very small amount of clearly deranged people who actually still think Riley should coach this team, the overwhelming majority of the fan base supports this hire. He will absolutely get more slack and more time. He will be seen as cleaning up “Riley’s mess”. I’m not saying he will be immune to it, but it will be nothing close to the speed and viciousness with which people turned on Riley because they never wanted him. 

Edited by olddominionhusker

This is the exact problem.    And I think only Tom Osborne himself can help to fix this problerm and that is by stepping out of the shadows and defending and supporting the coach when the going gets rough (as it will until it eventually gets better).   This was Frank's problem and perhaps Callahan and certainly Bo's and Riley as well.   Osborne has basically done nothing and been invisible in regard to all of his successors.   I always wondered with regard to Frank as to why and had my suspicions that perhaps he and Frank didn't see eye to eye of some of Frank's decisions and actions as HC and so Tom just backed away and stayed silent.   He really only offered the one real public comment as to Frank's coaching when he wrote the letter to the editor urging Frank to make Bobby Newcombe his QB and not Crouch.  I recall this was at about the time Crouch quit the team and went back to Omaha because it appeared Newcombe had won the QB job.   

We don't have any guardian and protector now so the next HC will have nobody to have his back and support him when fans do their inevitable turn and start the savagery.   

If it is Frost he will be given far more patience. Not only because he is a Nebraskan and played for Nebraska, but because people will see he needs to clean up the mess Riley made. As far as Osborne hiding in the shadows, that is probably just simply his era. You walk away, means you walk away. He probably see's it that whoever the coach is they don't want him lingering around or hovering around their decisions or their program. This is probably Osborne just giving full respect to whoever the coach is.

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This is the exact problem.    And I think only Tom Osborne himself can help to fix this problerm and that is by stepping out of the shadows and defending and supporting the coach when the going gets rough (as it will until it eventually gets better).   This was Frank's problem and perhaps Callahan and certainly Bo's and Riley as well.   Osborne has basically done nothing and been invisible in regard to all of his successors.   I always wondered with regard to Frank as to why and had my suspicions that perhaps he and Frank didn't see eye to eye of some of Frank's decisions and actions as HC and so Tom just backed away and stayed silent.   He really only offered the one real public comment as to Frank's coaching when he wrote the letter to the editor urging Frank to make Bobby Newcombe his QB and not Crouch.  I recall this was at about the time Crouch quit the team and went back to Omaha because it appeared Newcombe had won the QB job.   

We don't have any guardian and protector now so the next HC will have nobody to have his back and support him when fans do their inevitable turn and start the savagery.   

Ummmm........

Osborne was AD during much of Pelini's tenure.  Osborne "went to bat" for Pelini many times.  Often it was behind the scenes dealing with Perlman's shenanigans.

I think most are very aware that without Osborne's blessing of the new administration, Frost might not be interested.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, TheSker said:

Ummmm........

Osborne was AD during much of Pelini's tenure.  Osborne "went to bat" for Pelini many times.  Often it was behind the scenes dealing with Perlman's shenanigans.

I think most are very aware that without Osborne's blessing of the new administration, Frost might not be interested.

That we can show that our problems get back to two poison pills acting on their own and those two are gone is big. This isn't the administration that created this mess and Moos is well-established as a football AD.  That would be important in terms of getting any coach but in that this regime seems to have gotten the TO seal of approval certainly helps in terms of getting Frost.

10 hours ago, zoogs said:

Everyone talks the talk. When we don't win the B1G in '18, '19, and lose a couple games before the end of the '20 season a not insignificant proportion of Husker fans are going to think BM is full of BM. Unfortunately.

As someone whose wife is in health care, I also can't read "BM" without giggling.

13 hours ago, zoogs said:

Everyone talks the talk. When we don't win the B1G in '18, '19, and lose a couple games before the end of the '20 season a not insignificant proportion of Husker fans are going to think BM is full of BM. Unfortunately.

With the mess that Eichorst and Riley have made with the athletic department and the football team, I don’t think anyone is expecting a Big Ten championship in the first 1-2 years. But there can definitely be progress made. That’s where Eichorst and Riley failed. There was no progress. Everything was 2 steps backward, and then 1 step forward (which people acted like it was progress), followed by 2 more steps backward.

17 hours ago, zoogs said:

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

As someone whose wife is in health care, I also can't read "BM" without giggling.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Can we start using a different acronym, like ADBM?  I mean, the guy is going to be around for a while....

15 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

If it is Frost he will be given far more patience. Not only because he is a Nebraskan and played for Nebraska, but because people will see he needs to clean up the mess Riley made. As far as Osborne hiding in the shadows, that is probably just simply his era. You walk away, means you walk away. He probably see's it that whoever the coach is they don't want him lingering around or hovering around their decisions or their program. This is probably Osborne just giving full respect to whoever the coach is.

I think regardless of how grounded in reality it might be, this is true. Fans are going to be a lot more patient with a coach taking over a 4 win program than one taking over a 9-win program. We're not big on the full context in these parts, but we understand wins and losses.

14 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

I think regardless of how grounded in reality it might be, this is true. Fans are going to be a lot more patient with a coach taking over a 4 win program than one taking over a 9-win program. We're not big on the full context in these parts, but we understand wins and losses.

Yep!

Fans literally had to invent the idea of "toxins" when they saw how poor of a job MR was doing...SE had to be fired and it turns out the only thing toxic was the athletic department.